Mobileread
Does *anything* support linear=no?
#1  Skeezix 07-12-2016, 03:40 PM
I was working on a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type book (remember those?) and after doing some research, I found that "linear=no" for all the pages except the first would be the way to go. Problem is, nothing seems to support it. Every epub reader I try happily goes through all the pages just like a regular book. So... am I wasting my time completely, or is there *something* out there that will behave the way I'm assuming it should?

#2  Turtle91 07-12-2016, 09:32 PM
Quick answer: No, you can't guarantee that it will work that way, but there are some readers that may react appropriately to the linear=no setting...possibly Azari or Readium??

Here is a link to a quick discussion that may answer your question:

All items MUST be listed in the spine, but you can choose weather it's a primary or auxiliary item. Unfortunately:
Reading Systems are not required to differentiate between primary and auxiliary content, and for the requirements and recommendations given in this section may consider all OPS Content Documents in spine to be primary, regardless of the value of the linear attribute.
Cheers,

#3  Skeezix 07-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Quote Turtle91
possibly Azari or Readium??
Thanks! Readium actually behaves the way I want. (Azardi is awful. It won't even open an ePub, any ePub, on my system.)

#4  Doitsu 07-13-2016, 02:23 AM
AFAIK, there's not a single ePub2 app that supports linear=no. However, most ePub3 apps support it. (You can convert epub2 books to epub3 books with Sigil.)

Quote Skeezix
Readium actually behaves the way I want.
If Readium works for you, also check out ADE 4.5.1 and the corresponding iOS and Android versions.
Another mobile app with good ePub3 support is Gitden Reader.

Quote Skeezix
Azardi is awful. It won't even open an ePub, any ePub, on my system.
Did you validate your epub with the IDPF validator?

#5  fbrzvnrnd 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM
linear="no" is a big problem.
We created several "non linear" ebooks (like Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type book), but we never use linear="no". Why? Adobe Digital Edition (and mobile) do not support it in ePub2.
Other ereader programs support it, BUT:
- most of those handles the linear="no" like a big pop up, so often if you are in a linear="no" section and close the ebook and reopen it, you find yourself in the last linear="yes" section you read before enter the linear="no";
- some ereader programs handles the linear="no" like scroll pages instead paged ones (Ibooks desktop for example);
- some ebook reader programs do not allow the reader to turn the last page of a linear="no" section. Other allow and "fall back" in to the next linear="yes" section;
- (more)

f.

#6  Freeshadow 07-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Quote Skeezix
I was working on a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type book...
Check the epub editions of lone wolf books at projectaon.org/ maybe they've done it in a way that is useable. No need to reinvent the wheel after all

#7  JSWolf 07-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Quote Skeezix
I was working on a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type book (remember those?) and after doing some research, I found that "linear=no" for all the pages except the first would be the way to go. Problem is, nothing seems to support it. Every epub reader I try happily goes through all the pages just like a regular book. So... am I wasting my time completely, or is there *something* out there that will behave the way I'm assuming it should?
No programs/apps that matter support linear=no.

#8  DiapDealer 07-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Quote JSWolf
No programs/apps that matter support linear=no.
That's just silly. Bookari's EPUB3 engine (Readium) supports linear=no. And it "matters" quite a lot, thank you very much.

#9  JSWolf 07-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Quote DiapDealer
That's just silly. Bookari's EPUB3 engine (Readium) supports linear=no. And it "matters" quite a lot, thank you very much.
It's hardly used. There is no OSX or Windows program that uses the Readium engine.

#10  DiapDealer 07-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Quote JSWolf
There is no OSX or Windows program that uses the Readium engine.
Of course there's not. Because not that many people read books with OSX or Windows. The platforms that currently "matter" are iOS and Android.

Windows "could" matter someday as an ereading platform, but it doesn't right now.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register