Mobileread
Page numbers in EPUB
#1  GHRuffo 02-13-2015, 10:19 AM
Dear friends,

I have been trying to solve this by searching for information already posted in discussion groups, but since that has not helped much so far, I would like to ask for your assistance.

I have managed to edit most of the eBook I have written and it looks much better now, but something is still giving me a lot of trouble: page numbers. When I try to read the file in my Kobo Glo, it sticks to the same page even if I have already "flipped" two or three of them. The first chapter of my book has three pages 7, two pages 8 and so on. Although the file shows only 30 pages, it has a total of 48!

I have already tried to edit the TOC.NCX by adding a pageList to it, but it seems not to work. Specially because I have no idea on the "content src" function. Here goes an example:

<pageTarget id="page3" type="normal" value="3" playOrder="3">
<navLabel><text>3</text></navLabel>
<content src="../texto/content0002.xhtml#2014"/>
</pageTarget>

I am trying to determine this page ends after the text "2014". And nothing happens. It is probably a syntax problem. If anyone has any clue on how should I correct this page numbers problem, I would really appreciate the support.

All the best,

Gustavo

#2  Doitsu 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Page numbers require an NCX pagelist whose syntax is explained in the wiki topic that I linked to..

Also each page number needs to be defined in the body text via an anchor whose ID must start with a letter. E.g. <a id="page1"></a>. (You can't just use the number.)

Some time ago I created a simple ePub pagelist test file that demonstrates all of this. (You can ignore the additional files in the archive; they're only relevant for Kindles.)

#3  Section8 02-13-2015, 11:33 AM
You do realize, don't you, that even if you set all this up so that each epub page matches one screen of your kobo, that if you read the book on a different device, or even change the kobo's font size, that the page size will no longer match the screen size?

#4  GHRuffo 02-14-2015, 10:31 AM
I was not aware of that, Section8. In fact, I am more concerned about avoiding the same number in a lot of pages instead of having a fixed number on each one of them. Is there a way to solve this, allowing each reader to determine which page is which? If there is no way to solve this, I'all stick with Doitsu's suggestion. My book uses images, what I believe to be a relevant information. Forgive me not to have said it before.

#5  JSWolf 02-14-2015, 11:17 AM
ADE uses 1024 bytes of compressed data equals one page. So if you change the margins, line height, and font size, the page numbers will no change. It's not uncommon for the same page number to show over multiple pages depending on your settings/the book's settings. I don't see a need to create a page map to get page numbers. Just let ADE handle the page numbers.

#6  Notjohn 02-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Quote GHRuffo
I was not aware of that, Section8. In fact, I am more concerned about avoiding the same number in a lot of pages instead of having a fixed number on each one of them. Is there a way to solve this, allowing each reader to determine which page is which? If there is no way to solve this, I'all stick with Doitsu's suggestion. My book uses images, what I believe to be a relevant information. Forgive me not to have said it before.
I don't use page numbers in any of my e-books, and IMHO that is what every publisher ought to do.

That you see several screens with the same ostensible page number is probably the result of the e-reader screen's showing fewer words than the printed page. As a WAG, I would say 250 words to a Kindle or 7-inch Fire tablet "page," 400 or 450 words to a printed book page.

#7  Jellby 02-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Forget about "page", think of the number as "segment" or something similar, and you are done. The numbers have nothing to do with the screen size or with the paper pages, they are something else.

#8  GHRuffo 02-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Since I have created the epub file myself, and no other eBook I have ever bought so far has presented this problem, I would really like to have correct page numbers for each screen that shows up. Is the page list the only way to solve it, besides not caring at all about the way the pages are currently presented?

#9  Doitsu 02-14-2015, 06:36 PM
Quote GHRuffo
Since I have created the epub file myself, and no other eBook I have ever bought so far has presented this problem, I would really like to have correct page numbers for each screen that shows up. Is the page list the only way to solve it, besides not caring at all about the way the pages are currently presented?
If it's a fixed layout book or an image based comic book, you could also simply hard-code the page number in the image or add it as text.
Otherwise, you'll have to use a pagelist. (You could also use an Adobe pagemap, however only ADE/RMSDK based apps support them.)
IMHO, page numbers are only necessary for some commonly cited science books etc.

#10  thewitt 02-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Quote GHRuffo

You cannot prevent me from changing the font and font size for any eBook on my device.... Which means I might read your book with 1000 pages and you might read the same book with 400 pages...

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register