Mobileread
Classic Barnes and Noble's reader: first pics
#11  The-eBook-Reader 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM
It looks pretty cool but I wish they said more about it. We'll have to wait until next week I guess . . .

#12  The-eBook-Reader 10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Quote Dylrob
I sure hope that LCD turns off while reading.
They mentioned it does turns off on a caption next to one of the pictures.

#13  sforce 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM
From the Gizmodo article, "image 5" blurb:

"Pricing is yet unknown, but no matter what, it was planned to be sold at less than the price of a Kindle, with the majority of revenue made up through book sales."

http://gizmodo.com/5381149/bn-reader-gal//gallery?selectedImage=5

btw, this blurry pic look pretty real to me.

#14  stustaff 10-14-2009, 10:44 AM
First reader I have ever seen that makes me consider something different to my Sony.

#15  kennyc 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Quote stustaff
First reader I have ever seen that makes me consider something different to my Sony.
and why is that?

#16  AnemicOak 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
The name of the gadget, which I cannot reveal and may have changed anyhow, is freaking terrible. I hope they change it before it ships.
LOL, I wonder what the name is.

It's interesting. It'll be nice to find out specifics, like format support.

#17  Hellmark 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I do like the touch screen on the bottom. Seems like it would be useful.

#18  stustaff 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Quote kennyc
and why is that?
I love Gadgets!

and currently all other readers are the same as the sony except not as good!

#19  badbob001 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Secret name of reader must be something international like: The Shiitake

Maybe this device will only cost $100 by using the LCD for banner ads. Nothing like commercials while reading, especially if it's related to the text on the page.

Checking the original FCC image, the device in the new photos is longer, so maybe it is yet *another* device...

#20  anurag 10-14-2009, 12:48 PM
The first screen is an 6-inch e-ink display with an 800x600 pixel resolution. That's standard for e-books, with this screen having similar refresh and contrast as the second generation Kindle's. The second display, however, is as wide as the e-ink display but is a multitouch LCD that is meant to be used as the sole interface for browsing swiftly through colored book covers (like Apple's coverflow, but books instead of of Album art) and buying "rather than forcing eink do things it was not made for." It is 480x144 pixels in size and has a resolution of 150dpi.
For me the touchscreen at the bottom is the most exciting part of this tidbit. It's really hard to flip through pages on an ebook device given the inherent limitations of eInk refreshes, and a coverflow-like preview of pages that I can scroll through at the speed of a regular LCD screen would be a major improvement in the reading experience. The BN reader might only allow flipping through book covers as opposed to book pages, but it's a start!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register