Mobileread
Nook software update, 52.0.78
#11  rcentros 08-15-2020, 06:28 AM
Quote DNSB
I think what most people seem to mean when they say an ereader has ADE is that you can use a web browser on your ereader to directly download an epub using an .acsm file. Being able to authorize your ereader and read an epub transferred from ADE on your computer using USB or wireless is not quite the same. RMSDK is not ADE.
Yep. Should have read further into the thread. Sorry for the redundant post.

#12  John F 08-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Quote rcentros
I don't really consider that this is ADE "built-in" since it requires ADE to be installed on a Mac or Windows PC (which is useless for me). I think what a Nook does (or what a Kobo does) is gets an Adobe authorization via the computer.

Both a Tolino and a PocketBook are "stand-alone" — no computer running ADE needed. I call it having ADE "built-in" but that's probably not technically correct. It amounts to the same thing for me, however. I can download and read DRM ePubs (without a computer) on both devices.
For newer Kobo's, you don't need a PC (or other device) to borrow from a library (at least in some countries). ADE is built in to newer Kobo's.

I don't know if Kobo supports ACSM files.

#13  ZodWallop 08-15-2020, 02:13 PM
Quote rcentros
It got me reading my current book on the Nook (giving the PocketBook a rest for a while). Another nice reader. (Too many of them at my house.)
What model is your Nook? I have the older Plus as mentioned and the better half uses a Glowlight 3. I also have an old Simple Touch with Glowlight that I just put a 32GB card in. I don't spend any time reading on it (the Plus and Clara are enough for me). But I realize it's still a nice reader.

#14  DNSB 08-15-2020, 03:58 PM
Quote John F
For newer Kobo's, you don't need a PC (or other device) to borrow from a library (at least in some countries). ADE is built in to newer Kobo's.

I don't know if Kobo supports ACSM files.
Borrowing from a library using a Kobo without a computer does not involve Adobe's ADEPT DRM. The book is sourced from Kobo using their proprietary DRM.

And no, you can't borrow an ADEPT DRMed epub using an .acsm file on a Kobo.

#15  rcentros 08-15-2020, 04:37 PM
Quote ZodWallop
What model is your Nook? I have the older Plus as mentioned and the better half uses a Glowlight 3. I also have an old Simple Touch with Glowlight that I just put a 32GB card in. I don't spend any time reading on it (the Plus and Clara are enough for me). But I realize it's still a nice reader.
I have the older Plus also. It's a very nice reader. If it had the ability to side-load fonts and ability buy or borrow DRM ePubs directly, it would be an even nicer reader. But I understand the reason why Barnes & Noble doesn't do this.

#16  John F 08-15-2020, 10:44 PM
Quote DNSB
Borrowing from a library using a Kobo without a computer does not involve Adobe's ADEPT DRM. The book is sourced from Kobo using their proprietary DRM.

And no, you can't borrow an ADEPT DRMed epub using an .acsm file on a Kobo.

Thanks for the correction.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register