Mobileread
A sad library tale
#41  meeera 10-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Quote pwalker8
I'm thinking maybe you should look up the word library, because I don't think it means what you think it does. Libraries are collections of books. It comes from a latin word that is normally translated as book.
It's almost as though words evolve their meaning over time.

I'm guessing you also think it's not a real book if it's not runes carved into beech.

#42  pwalker8 10-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Quote meeera
It's almost as though words evolve their meaning over time.

I'm guessing you also think it's not a real book if it's not runes carved into beech.
I'm pretty sure library hasn't evolved to mean a place where you can borrow a weed whacker.

#43  ekbell 10-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Quote pwalker8
I'm pretty sure library hasn't evolved to mean a place where you can borrow a weed whacker.
The term 'tool library' does a good job of indicating what is being offered (tools on term loan to members) which means that it's not likely to go away just because the word library is derived from the Latin for book. A brief google search provides the locations of many places calling themselves tool libraries.

There have been much more confusing word developments (see 'nice').

This is not to say that I think regular libraries should become tool libraries as well, or that tool libraries should be government funded. Just that the term is an obvious one to use and as such it's not going to go away.

#44  gmw 10-16-2019, 12:43 AM
Quote pwalker8
If you followed your own advice and actually looked up the word, you'd see just how far it has come. (But, of course, always keeping in mind that dictionaries follow the language and not the other way around, so not all current trends have made it to dictionary status.) So, actually looking up the word we see (in addition to the expected)...

OED: A scribe; A theatre-ticket agency; a great mass of learning or knowledge; the objects of a person's study, the sources on which he depends for instruction; a collection of films, gramophone records, music etc.; an organised collection of routines [...] suitable for a particular model of computer.

dictionary.com: a collection of any materials for study and enjoyment; Biology. a collection of standard materials or formulations by which specimens are identified; Computers. a collection of software or data usually reflecting a specific theme or application;

dictionary.com, British dictionary: a collection of literary materials, films, CDs, children's toys, etc, kept for borrowing or reference; a collection of specific items for reference or checking againsta library of genetic material

Merriam-Webster: a collection resembling or suggesting a library; a collection of cloned DNA fragments that are maintained in a suitable cellular environment and that usually represent the genetic material of a particular organism or tissue.

So the definitions spread pretty wide, and I highlighted the Merriam-Webster definition that would most obviously cover a tool-library. (Note, too, that there is nothing about "library" that insists loans are completely free, there are subscription libraries where members pay a fee to participate.)

#45  Fiat_Lux 10-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Quote pwalker8
In doing some research, I stumbled across a bar from the sixties called The Library. Given the context of what I was researching, I suspect that the clientele were either leather-boys, or cruisin' lesbians.

#46  pwalker8 10-19-2019, 06:21 PM
Quote Fiat_Lux
In doing some research, I stumbled across a bar from the sixties called The Library. Given the context of what I was researching, I suspect that the clientele were either leather-boys, or cruisin' lesbians.
So you are saying that it wasn't likely to be a children's library?

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register