Mobileread
Aluratek Color Ereader
#11  cdntinpusher 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi Grandma VS,

Did you get the firmware update to work in the end? I just got the Libre Color and am wondering whether to upgrade the firmware or not. I can't find out what the improvements are over the stock firmware, and I can't find a copy of the current firmware GI 7.2.0 to keep as a backup in case I need to go back. How and where did you manage to find it?

Thanks.

#12  cdntinpusher 02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
The Libre Color is $115 (+$18) shipping at:

http://http://www.directdial.com/AEBK07FS.html.

Got mine about 3 days ago and love it. For the price it works great as an ereader, with the bonus of using at as a movie player/photo viewer. Page turns are fast. Book loads pretty quick. Loaded a .FLV movie and MPG4 and both played well and colors looked great. JPG Photos also look good. Sound is reasonable through headphones for listening while reading. Dialed brightness back to 20% as per Spensar's comment and it is eminently readable at that brightness in normal lighting, but might need to be dialed up a bit in bright sunlight. Landscape orientation is great for reading, though when opening a book it opens in portrait by default and you have to flip the reader to portrait and then back to landscape to get it to reload in landscape.

At about 6 hours use on first charge, with 3.5 hours showing as remaining on power management feature, so anticipating about 10 hours between charges. Hopefully that will improve with more charge cycles.

Cheers

#13  MR. Pockets 02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
You have an extra "http://" in that link. But thanks for it anyway! :P

#14  cdntinpusher 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM
For anyone who might be considering the Libre Color but wants more info, I've posted a pretty detailed video review of Aluratek Libre Color on YouTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0zzNwsV7B0

#15  MR. Pockets 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Great video! Having seen it in action, I wish I could get one, but I just bought a literati so I don't need another reader just yet.

#16  binky 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Nice video =). I do notice with the media playback that the blacks get a little washed out for HD video. Not sure why that is. No problems with normal content.

If you find the volume on the tiny speakers to be a bit too weak, the latest firmware seems to increase the volume output from the speakers as well.

#17  GrandmaVS 02-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Really enjoyed your video. I tried again to install the latest firmware on mine with the same result as last time - starting over and over again. While I had the v 1.15 installed, I did check the languages before I installed the previous firmware and found English, Chinese, German and a couple more listed. Again, good job on the video.

#18  binky 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM
For firmware upgrades, a co-worker had the same constant reboot issue when trying from Windows 7 64-bit. He installed the firmware update application on a Windows XP 32-bit computer, and was able to update his firmware from there with no issues. Don't know if it'll work for anybody else, but might be worth a go.

#19  GrandmaVS 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks, binky. I decided to try the upgrade on my XP netbook, but it just locked up and wouldn't recognize my reader. When I disconnected it, the reader wouldn't boot at all - just a blank screen. As a last resort, I connected it to my Vista 32-bit computer again and it automatically started the firmware upgrade. I couldn't believe it - the firmware actually works now.

#20  Meerkatgmail 02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Good afternoon!
I just bought my Libre Color yesterday and already have had some fun with it.
My husband suggested that I update the firmware, and had exactly the same result as Grandma - the Libre is dead!

We've tried to contact the Help desk, via chat, email and phone, without any luck, what with a holiday in both Ontario and the USA, we are out of luck.

Does anybody perhaps have the file of the firmware GI 7.2.0 that I could try to re-install instead of the v.1.15 that I found on the Aluratek website?

Please? It could be uploaded on 4Shared or anywhere rather than sending by email if you are concerned about security. I just want my reader back!

Thanks for any help or advice. We are checking forums and Google to see if we can find help. We can also not find the reset button on the back of the reader, unless we are totally blind!

Meerkat

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register