Mobileread
fictionwise and mobipocket format
#11  ficbot 03-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Sweetpea, I sent you a PM.

#12  leebase 03-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Doesn't fictionwise have it's own kindle store?

Lee

#13  pilotbob 03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Quote leebase
Doesn't fictionwise have it's own kindle store?

Lee
You can buy MultiFormat eBooks at fictionwise and they will email it to your Kindle... yes.

I'm not sure if they call this a Kindle store.

BOb

#14  Seabound 03-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Quote Marcy
And, if you're savvy enough to strip the DRM from mobipocket books for your Kindle, then you should be savvy enough to strip the DRM from the epub books and use Calibre to convert them to mobipocket.

-Marcy
I don't think it's merely a matter of saviness, but rather the state of the relevant software. The scripts to de-DRM mobipocket format is pretty stable, while the scripts to de-DRM epub is not there yet.

#15  Ea 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote TallMomof2
Why do you think you could buy them elsewhere? DRMed books will still be DRMed at other online sellers. If you're referring to geographical restrictions then that should be the same at other online resellers, too.
Not all shops enforce them equally rigourously.

#16  JSWolf 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Actually, once set up, it's actually easier to strip the DRM from ePub then Mobipocket.

#17  Shaggy 03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote elsussman
Is fictionwise abandoning mobipocket format because they are now owned by B&N?
If I remember right, fictionwise started abandoning Mobipocket before the B&N buyout. It basically started after Amazon bought Mobipocket.

#18  CleverClothe 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote Shaggy
If I remember right, fictionwise started abandoning Mobipocket before the B&N buyout. It basically started after Amazon bought Mobipocket.
I don't think this is true at all. It seems that it mostly started 9 months ago, or so. Though there were some books with delayed Mobipocket availability before that.

#19  tselling 03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote JSWolf
Actually, once set up, it's actually easier to strip the DRM from ePub then Mobipocket.
How so? There is a calibre plugin for mobi stripping... so that it is automatic. I didn't see a plugin for epub? Did I miss something?

#20  Marcy 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote tselling
How so? There is a calibre plugin for mobi stripping... so that it is automatic. I didn't see a plugin for epub? Did I miss something?
There isn't a Calibre plug-in but there is a tool with a very simple GUI.

I hear that the second result when googling darkreverser cabbages and then looking through the March entries will yield some information you might be interested in.

-Marcy

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register