Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for March 2018 • The Book Came First
#11  CRussel 02-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the link to the Australian site, since this one hasn't yet been converted in Canada!

#12  issybird 02-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Quote CRussel
Thanks for the link to the Australian site, since this one hasn't yet been converted in Canada!
I looked, at both usual places, and nope! Which is why I spelled out the pd situation.

#13  JSWolf 02-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Quote issybird
I looked, at both usual places, and nope! Which is why I spelled out the pd situation.
Did you look at Kobo?

https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/elmer-gantry

#14  issybird 02-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Quote JSWolf
Did you look at Kobo?

https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/elmer-gantry
Thanks, Jon. I figured since it's public domain in Canada, there's no point in Canadians paying for it and the Adelaide link will work for them as well.

#15  JSWolf 02-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Quote issybird
Thanks, Jon. I figured since it's public domain in Canada, there's no point in Canadians paying for it and the Adelaide link will work for them as well.
I had a quick look at the HTML online for the PD version and it looks pretty good.

#16  orlok 02-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Quote CRussel
@orlok: A trick to finding ebook versions on amazon when they aren't properly linked to pbook versions. Start from: www.amazon.com/kindle-ebooks (or the smile equivalent). This limits the search to ebooks only.
Thanks Charlie. When I looked again later it said something along the lines of "you cannot access ebooks from your location." I'll give your link a go.

#17  gmw 02-01-2018, 07:00 PM
I would like to nominate a short story by Ted Chiang called: Story of Your Life, this has recently been made into a movie called Arrival starring Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker.

This short story is available in the collection: Stories of Your Life and Others, a collection of 8 short stories by Ted Chiang.

Description of Story of Your Life (from me):
Two threads run through this story: a woman remembering her daughter growing up; and the woman being called as a linguistic expert to try and communicate with aliens that have landed. These two threads are related in an unexpected way.
Description for the book Stories of Your Life and Others (from Kobo):
With his masterful first collection, multiple-award-winning author Ted Chiang deftly blends human emotion and scientific rationalism in eight remarkably diverse stories, all told in his trademark precise and evocative prose.
From a soaring Babylonian tower that connects a flat Earth with the firmament above, to a world where angelic visitations are a wondrous and terrifying part of everyday life; from a neural modification that eliminates the appeal of physical beauty, to an alien language that challenges our very perception of time and reality. . . Chiang's rigorously imagined fantasia invites us to question our understanding of the universe and our place in it.
I think Ted Chiang is one of the best science fiction writers of recent years. (This collection is not all science fiction, or not really.) He writes things from a human perspective rather than hard science, and this makes them very approachable even if you are not normally a science fiction enthusiast. My only complaint is that he doesn't write enough. I would be happy to discuss any and all of the stories in this collection, but the Story of Your Life at 55 pages (approx 18k words) is probably complex and deep enough to keep us busy. If we end up twiddling our thumbs then stories: Understand, Hell is the Absence of God and Liking What You See: A Documentary are all excellent.

Amazon US, Amazon US, film tie-in edition, Amazon UK, Amazon CA, Amazon AU

Kobo US, Kobo UK, Kobo CA, Kobo AU

#18  CRussel 02-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Quote orlok
Thanks Charlie. When I looked again later it said something along the lines of "you cannot access ebooks from your location." I'll give your link a go.
I sometimes find that I have to use inPrivate/incognito mode if I'm checking a country other than my IP address might indicate, or if I have an account with the same email at a different country's store. (I can't buy eBooks in Canada on my main account because I use the same email as my U.S. account. I have to have a special account just for eBooks. )

#19  GA Russell 02-01-2018, 07:43 PM
I nominate Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

It's been nearly 50 years since I read it, and I'd like to read it again. One wag said that it was written during Korea, set in World War II, but about Viet Nam!

Amazon US - $11.99
https://www.amazon.com/Catch-22-50th-Anniversary-Joseph-Heller-ebook/dp/B0048WQDIE/

Kobo - $11.99
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/catch-22-1

Nook - $11.99
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/catch-22-joseph-heller/1100216099?ean=9781451632965#/

#20  Dngrsone 02-01-2018, 08:41 PM
*Of Mice and Men by Patricia Highsmith

Slight typo there... I'd happily read this book again (the Steinbeck version, that is). I tried Catch-22 once, but couldn't make it through. :/

There are so many good books that have been made into movies (good and bad,..), it's kind of hard to recommend just one.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register