Mobileread
problem with self-created covers on kindle paperwhite 2015
#1  atrahhdis 12-27-2019, 09:02 AM
Hi all,

I have been creating e-books for more than a year now using:

- markdown
- pandoc for markdown to epub conversion
- calibre for metadata editing, epub to azw3 conversion etc..

I usually use covers created by calibre but lately I decided to create my own.

After creating a custom 1200x1600 jpg and using it as a cover for my e-book, my kindle paperwhite (today I updated it to 5.12.3 but unfortunately the issue remains ) is unable to handle it correctly.

I have attached the cover, the book and a photo showing how my paperwhite shows the cover.

BTW Calibre and Moon Reader can render the cover fine.

Do you have any idea why is this happening?

Thank you in advance.
Practical_Insight_Meditation_Basic_Practice.jpg kindle_paperwhite.jpg 
[azw3] Practical Insight Meditation_ Basic Practice - Mahasi Sayadaw.azw3 (435.9 KB, 18 views)

#2  Barbara1955 12-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Pictures look the same to me....

#3  atrahhdis 12-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Quote Barbara1955
Pictures look the same to me....
There is an artifact on top, plus the website at the bottom is not shown at all!

#4  jhowell 12-27-2019, 12:44 PM
I sideloaded your book on my Oasis and see the same thing.

I am not sure of the cause, but it may be related to the aspect ratio. Yours is 1.33:1. According to Amazon:

The ideal size of your eBook cover art is a height/width ratio of 1.6:1. This means that for every 1,000 pixels in width, the image should be 1,600 pixels in height. To ensure the best quality for your image, particularly on high definition devices, the height of the image should be at least 2,500 pixels. Ideal dimensions for cover files are 2,560 x 1,600 pixels.

#5  DaleDe 12-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Quote atrahhdis
There is an artifact on top, plus the website at the bottom is not shown at all!
How much of this is picture and how much is text? Is the information at the bottom text and rolled over to the next page? The stuff at the top is the partial text of the top line which is then covered up by the picture I presume. Aspect ratio is definitely affecting the display.

Dale

#6  jhowell 12-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Quote DaleDe
How much of this is picture and how much is text?
It is a single JPEG. The text is part of the image.

-----

I did another test. I converted the non-working AZW3 back to EPUB using kindleunpack and then generated a Master-MOBI file (MOBI+AZW3) from that using Amazon's Kindle Previewer software. The cover image in that file displays correctly on my Kindle when sideloaded.

Looking into the file that the Previewer produced I see that it contains the unchanged original JPEG that is not working in the calibre-produced AZW3 file. Based on that, I suspect that calibre's conversion to AZW3 is somehow a factor in this problem.

#7  atrahhdis 12-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Many thanks to all of you for your replies!

@jhowell this is very interesting. I only use linux, but I will try to find a way to run the mentioned amazon program as a temporary epub to azw3 converter.

In the meantime, maybe I should open a bug report to calibre project but I really don't know how to describe this issue!

By the way I have attached the original epub from which my azw3 is produced.
[epub] Practical Insight Meditation_ Basic Practice - Mahasi Sayadaw.epub (391.9 KB, 15 views)

#8  jhowell 12-28-2019, 10:14 AM
Quote atrahhdis
@jhowell this is very interesting. I only use linux, but I will try to find a way to run the mentioned amazon program as a temporary epub to azw3 converter.
The Kindle Previewer is Amazon's GUI tool. In the background it runs KindleGen to actually produce Master-MOBI files.

You can download the command-line KindleGen program for various platforms, including Linux, at:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000765211

#9  atrahhdis 12-28-2019, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

I tested by converting the epub to mobi using kindlegen and then the mobi to azw3 using calibre and the cover is OK now. It's really strange and definitely a calibre bug.

#10  j.p.s 12-28-2019, 12:38 PM
Quote atrahhdis
Thanks for the suggestion.

I tested by converting the epub to mobi using kindlegen and then the mobi to azw3 using calibre and the cover is OK now. It's really strange and definitely a calibre bug.
You can use kindleunpack to split the dual mobi generated by kindlegen into a KF7 mobi and a KF8 azw3.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register