Mobileread
Larger Screen Needed
#1  thatsmyfish 07-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Hi all,

I’m looking for some recommendations for a larger ereader.

I have 6 inch screens, the 7 inch Oasis, and the 7.8 inch Kobo Aura One. The Aura One screen is absolutely fantastic, but I tend to like to cram a lot of text per page and it’s a bit on the small side.

I’m open to either frontlit screens or not, the latter depending on the boldness of the font. (I’m using a DXG with 150ppi and the smallest font is pretty low in contrast. Similar size on the Aura One is great.)

I’ve looked at the Remarkable 1 (seems like the reader doesn’t have a lot of options?) the Boox Max 3 (huge screen, lower resolution due to size and no Front-Light) and the Boox Note 2 (frontlit, not as big as the Max 3, but perhaps best of both worlds?)

I’m looking for personal experience as I haven’t handled these devices. The 6 inch Voyage to the 7.8 inch Aura One is less than 2 inches difference and it feels huge in person. I didn’t know if the 13.3 feels too huge, and if the 10.3, while much smaller feels huge compared to an Aura One.

Any recommendations welcome.

#2  ottischwenk 07-12-2020, 02:17 PM
Quote thatsmyfish
Hi all,

I’m looking for some recommendations for a larger ereader.

I have 6 inch screens, the 7 inch Oasis, and the 7.8 inch Kobo Aura One. The Aura One screen is absolutely fantastic, but I tend to like to cram a lot of text per page and it’s a bit on the small side.

I’m open to either frontlit screens or not, the latter depending on the boldness of the font. (I’m using a DXG with 150ppi and the smallest font is pretty low in contrast. Similar size on the Aura One is great.)

I’ve looked at the Remarkable 1 (seems like the reader doesn’t have a lot of options?) the Boox Max 3 (huge screen, lower resolution due to size and no Front-Light) and the Boox Note 2 (frontlit, not as big as the Max 3, but perhaps best of both worlds?)

I’m looking for personal experience as I haven’t handled these devices. The 6 inch Voyage to the 7.8 inch Aura One is less than 2 inches difference and it feels huge in person. I didn’t know if the 13.3 feels too huge, and if the 10.3, while much smaller feels huge compared to an Aura One.

Any recommendations welcome.
7.8 inch and 10.3 inch devices - screen resolution: 1404 * 1872
Boox Nova2 and Likebook Ares have the same screen data as the Kobo Aura One - but they are based on Android and have much more powerful hardware than the specialized ebook readers (Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook)
But they have a problem - the Wacom screen starts to turn gray when exposed to sunlight.
The Likebook Mars doesn't have this problem because it doesn't have Wacom.
This is not the case with the 10.3 inch devices (Boox Note 2, Likebook Alita). However, they have the same screen resolution as the 7.8 inch devices and similar hardware features.

#3  thatsmyfish 07-12-2020, 06:08 PM
Quote ottischwenk
This is not the case with the 10.3 inch devices (Boox Note 2, Likebook Alita). However, they have the same screen resolution as the 7.8 inch devices and similar hardware features.
The 10.3 devices don’t have gray screens in direct sunlight?

#4  ottischwenk 07-13-2020, 12:20 AM
Quote thatsmyfish
The 10.3 devices don’t have gray screens in direct sunlight?
My Alita Likebook (10,3°) doesn't turn gray in the sunshine.
But my 7.8 Wacom devices already - the Boox Nova2 itself when booting, the Likebook Ares only in the Wacom application.

#5  thatsmyfish 07-13-2020, 07:08 AM
Quote ottischwenk
My Alita Likebook (10,3°) doesn't turn gray in the sunshine.
But my 7.8 Wacom devices already - the Boox Nova2 itself when booting, the Likebook Ares only in the Wacom application.
The Aura One is probably the best ereader I’ve ever had, so I wouldn’t need to replicate the size. How does the 10.3 feel against the 7.8. I was looking at the Note 2.

#6  JSWolf 07-13-2020, 07:29 AM
The Pocketbook Inkpad X is a 10.3" Reader. If you are in the USA, you an get it from Newegg.

IMHO, I think 13.3 is too large unless your main reading is PDF.

#7  thatsmyfish 07-13-2020, 08:58 AM
Quote JSWolf
The Pocketbook Inkpad X is a 10.3" Reader. If you are in the USA, you an get it from Newegg.

IMHO, I think 13.3 is too large unless your main reading is PDF.
A review I saw recently expressed concern that the Inkpad hadn’t had a software update in nine months and wasn’t listed on PocketBook’s support page as an active device. I was concerned it was an abandoned product.

#8  rcentros 07-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Quote thatsmyfish
A review I saw recently expressed concern that the Inkpad hadn’t had a software update in nine months and wasn’t listed on PocketBook’s support page as an active device. I was concerned it was an abandoned product.
I don't know what review you saw, but the InkPad X is still the featured product on PocketBook's site...

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch

Here's its support page (you might have to click on the green button drop down)...

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/support

No 6.x firmware release yet, but PocketBook is rolling that out slowly (as it's buggy and some users are dropping back to 5.20.x anyhow). The manual for the current firmware 5.20.x update was modified on June 9th, 2020 (so there still doing something with the InkPad X).

#9  thatsmyfish 07-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Quote rcentros
I don't know what review you saw, but the InkPad X is still the featured product on PocketBook's site...

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch

Here's its support page (you might have to click on the green button drop down)...

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/support

No 6.x firmware release yet, but PocketBook is rolling that out slowly (as it's buggy and some users are dropping back to 5.20.x anyhow). The manual for the current firmware 5.20.x update was modified on June 9th, 2020 (so there still doing something with the InkPad X).
This was the review I watched.

https://youtu.be/grqBdJ86HWo

From a few of the other videos I’ve seen it seems to be very slow. Tap the screen, wait a second, it registers, etc. I’m curious if that’s the real world experience.

It’s a shame, because while the other features are great, a decidated ereader is all I really need.

#10  rcentros 07-14-2020, 01:11 PM
Quote thatsmyfish
This was the review I watched.

https://youtu.be/grqBdJ86HWo

From a few of the other videos I’ve seen it seems to be very slow. Tap the screen, wait a second, it registers, etc. I’m curious if that’s the real world experience.

It’s a shame, because while the other features are great, a decidated ereader is all I really need.
Good review. Thanks for the link. You definitely see the lag. This is odd since, as the reviewer mentions, all the higher end PocketBooks (from the HD 3 up) use dual core CPUs. I wonder if that's the issue – that somehow it's not implemented quite right?

My Touch Lux 3 and PB615 are not super fast, but they don't lag like that.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register