Mobileread
Cheapest ebook for comfy reading manga
#1  Shadow_Galecross 07-08-2020, 06:46 AM
Good morning fellow readers. I once tried to buy a cheap Kobo Aura Edition II on Ebay but got scammed(The price was maybe too low)
I gave up on reading on my phone because it melts my eyes and disrupts my sleep pattern so could you recommend me a budget(somewhere between 20~60€) ereader for ocasional reading?
Requirements: Being able to load some Jpeg´s and EPUBS
E-Ink screen
Would be cool if it has Android/Possibility of loading custom apps
like in Kobo
I live in Spain btw
Thank you in advance

#2  JSWolf 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure you can get a Reader good enough for manga for that price. Plus, you want a large a screen as possible. My suggestion is the Kobo Libra H20.Granted, it's above your budget and you may have to save for one.

#3  ilovejedd 07-09-2020, 02:19 PM
You’ll want something at least ~6” + 300 ppi or ~7” 260 ppi.

The Kobo Libra H2O is super nice for manga albeit it’s a lot higher than your budget.

Personally, I use a Libra H2O, and jailbroken 32GB PW3 and PW4 with KOReader for reading manga (CBZ format). All of them work pretty great although the Libra is obviously the best (alas, small storage).

Don’t get a Kindle unless you can jailbreak it, though. PW3 with firmware 5.9.6.1 or lower and PW4 on any firmware is jailbreakable. In the US, we’ve had occasional deals on those dropping the price of the 32GB version to as low as US$80 (from a trusted seller: Amazon, Woot, Best Buy, etc).

If the Libra H2O is just too out of reach, the Clara HD 6” 300 ppi is Kobo’s competitor to the PW4. It doesn’t require jailbreak to read EPUB and CBZ (although I find KOReader much better for CBZ). There are no options for higher capacity but I believe it’s possible to perform some minor surgery and replace the internal microSD card with a bigger one.

Here are other good alternatives you might be able to get refurb or used for a decent price.

Kobo Aura HD 6.8” 265 ppi
Kobo Glo HD 6” 300 ppi

#4  Blas 07-09-2020, 03:32 PM
I was also looking for an e-reader for comics. The Kobo Aura HD looked decent(not perfect)for the screen size and sdcard slot. Unfortunately I still found it a bit overpriced. So in the end I'm just using an old tablet.

btw AliExpress has some refurbished options

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#5  JSWolf 07-09-2020, 05:21 PM
Quote ilovejedd
At least 7".

The Kobo Libra H2O is super nice for manga albeit it’s a lot higher than your budget.
I cannot find a Reader for the OPs price range that's going to be good for Manga.

#6  ilovejedd 07-09-2020, 05:52 PM
Quote JSWolf
At least 7".
This is definitely YMMV.

The Aura Edition II is 6” 212 ppi, iirc, so I’m guessing the size is fine for the OP. I’ve seen people who read manga full page on even smaller smartphones (with very high pixel density).

I can read manga just fine on a 6” 300 ppi e-ink reader. On the 7.9” iPad mini, I actually read manga in double-page landscape mode (so around 1024 x 1536 pixels per page at 2:3 AR).

#7  Shadow_Galecross 07-10-2020, 02:08 AM
Quote ilovejedd

Personally, I use a Libra H2O, and jailbroken 32GB PW3 and PW4 with KOReader for reading manga (CBZ format). All of them work pretty great although the Libra is obviously the best (alas, small storage).

Don’t get a Kindle unless you can jailbreak it, though. PW3 with firmware 5.9.6.1 or lower and PW4 on any firmware is jailbreakable. In the US, we’ve had occasional deals on those dropping the price of the 32GB version to as low as US$80 (from a trusted seller: Amazon, Woot, Best Buy, etc).

If the Libra H2O is just too out of reach, the Clara HD 6” 300 ppi is Kobo’s competitor to the PW4. It doesn’t require jailbreak to read EPUB and CBZ (although I find KOReader much better for CBZ). There are no options for higher capacity but I believe it’s possible to perform some minor surgery and replace the internal microSD card with a bigger one.

Here are other good alternatives you might be able to get refurb or used for a decent price.

Kobo Aura HD 6.8” 265 ppi
Kobo Glo HD 6” 300 ppi
Thank you all for the info , I´m actually reading manga on a 5" screen smartphone using zoom always so almost anything will be better. How can I difference a PW model from another?

#8  ilovejedd 07-10-2020, 02:46 AM
Quote Shadow_Galecross
Thank you all for the info , I´m actually reading manga on a 5" screen smartphone using zoom always so almost anything will be better. How can I difference a PW model from another?
I'd like to point out again, for your stated usage (manga not purchased from Amazon), Kindle is BAD unless you can jailbreak and install KOReader. The reason I mentioned them is because they're pretty popular and are likely easier to find compared to other models.

PW3: make sure it has 5.9.6.1 firmware or lower only
2015, Kindle Paperwhite 7th generation, raised bezels, black Kindle logo on bottom front bezel

PW4: any firmware OK
2018, Kindle Paperwhite 10th generation, waterproof, flush bezels, white Kindle logo on bottom front bezel

#9  Shadow_Galecross 07-10-2020, 03:00 AM
Quote ilovejedd
I'd like to point out again, for your stated usage (manga not purchased from Amazon), Kindle is BAD unless you can jailbreak and install KOReader. The reason I mentioned them is because they're pretty popular and are likely easier to find compared to other models.

PW3: make sure it has 5.9.6.1 firmware or lower only
2015, Kindle Paperwhite 7th generation, raised bezels, black Kindle logo on bottom front bezel

PW4: any firmware OK
2018, Kindle Paperwhite 10th generation, waterproof, flush bezels, white Kindle logo on bottom front bezel
Well I´m a bit tech savvy so I´m not afraid of some hacking but I get the point of it being too risky. I will save for a kobo model with nice dpi

#10  ilovejedd 07-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Quote Shadow_Galecross
Well I´m a bit tech savvy so I´m not afraid of some hacking but I get the point of it being too risky. I will save for a kobo model with nice dpi
It’s not that it’s risky at all. The software JB method is pretty safe. It’s the fact that JB is basically impossible once you go past a certain firmware version on most Kindle models.

At this point in time, the chances of finding a jailbreakable 212-300 ppi Kindle that’s not a PW4 is very low. Well, PW1 is a guaranteed JB but it’s really old, lighting is super uneven and it only has around 1-1.3GB usable storage.

You could do a hardware serial jailbreak on the PW3 but then you’d be spending extra on the USB-serial adapter (may cost a pretty penny if you need to import overseas). Serial jailbreak is also a lot more difficult to do.

TL;DR
Kindles are fine as long as you make sure the one you buy is jailbreakable.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register