Mobileread
using the dictionary with sideloaded and overdrive books
#1  nellie27 07-06-2020, 04:20 PM
I have been checking out the Libra.

I have a question. The user guide states that the dictionary may not work with sideloaded or Overdrive books.
"Note: The dictionary may not work in some books such as PDFs, books you borrowed from a public library, or free books you found on the internet."

Is this an actual problem? If so, is it solved by installing a different dictionary?

Thank you.

#2  MGlitch 07-06-2020, 04:42 PM
If the book is an image for a page the dictionary won’t work because you can’t select a word.

The only way around this would be to convert the book to text with OCR which isn’t always easy. Or to just pull the dictionary up and manually search the word.

I’ve yet to encounter an issue looking up a word in a borrowed or sideloaded book that I expect to be able to look up words in.

#3  4691mls 07-06-2020, 05:38 PM
I've never had a problem on my Clara.

#4  jackie_w 07-06-2020, 05:50 PM
I don't think the dictionary works with PDF at all, but I've never had an epub or kepub where it didn't work.

#5  beespeckled 07-06-2020, 10:03 PM
I do sometimes have problems with books I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg, but just assumed that the dictionary included is more mainstream, lacking definitions of archaic words.

#6  MGlitch 07-07-2020, 12:03 AM
Quote beespeckled
I do sometimes have problems with books I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg, but just assumed that the dictionary included is more mainstream, lacking definitions of archaic words.
Does the dictionary come up with a no definition found (or similar) message, or does it not come up at all?

If it’s the former it’s working but lacks a definition, if it’s the latter it’s not working.

You can of course install additional dictionaries which would solve the lacking a definition issue.

#7  nellie27 07-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Thank you all very much for the replies. The behavior you described is very similar to that of nooks, and overdrive on android.

I don't read pdf's on my ereaders anyway, so that is no problem, not at all.

#8  4691mls 07-07-2020, 01:22 PM
Quote beespeckled
I guess you could try looking up a common word in one of those books and see if the dictionary works.

I still occasionally pull out my old Sony reader if I start running across old/obscure words in a book. The Oxford dictionaries on there were good for this.

#9  JSWolf 07-10-2020, 04:48 PM
On a Kobo, PDF does not work with the dictionary. ePub and KePub (DRM or not) do work with the dictionary.

#10  nellie27 07-13-2020, 04:58 PM
Quote JSWolf
On a Kobo, PDF does not work with the dictionary. ePub and KePub (DRM or not) do work with the dictionary.
Great, thank you.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register