Mobileread
Forma Is there an auto-fix for books having grey background or uses light-gray text?
#1  droopy 07-03-2020, 04:51 PM
How can I auto-remove background colors/images, to make things easier to read?

How can I change light-gray text to either black or darker gray?

But please see the photo with my green annotation. I'm referring to the Steve Jobs quote in white and a dark gray background. For me, this is okay, as it's easy to read.
20200703_133933a.jpg 20200703_133926a.jpg 20200703_133901a.jpg 

#2  DNSB 07-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Quote droopy
How can I auto-remove background colors/images, to make things easier to read?

How can I change light-gray text to either black or darker gray?
Basically, I just open the ebook in an editor and remove all the background-color and color entries from the stylesheets and text files. Basically, leaves the book in black and white.

#3  droopy 07-03-2020, 05:37 PM
hmmm.. i'm looking for a press-one-button sort of solution.

#4  Deskisamess 07-03-2020, 06:42 PM
Quote droopy
hmmm.. i'm looking for a press-one-button sort of solution.
Like magic? Do you use Calibre?

#5  droopy 07-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Yes, I do use Calibre.

#6  Deskisamess 07-03-2020, 07:04 PM
Quote droopy
Yes, I do use Calibre.
Isn't that where you can do what DNSB suggested?

#7  MGlitch 07-03-2020, 07:43 PM
Quote Deskisamess
Isn't that where you can do what DNSB suggested?
He wants a click and go solution, not a look through the weeds solution.

Which likely wont be a thing for the chapter images being as how they look to be images rather than text on an image.

As far as removing the color coding for text, I'm sure Calibre could strip it entirely from the ebook. I don't think you'd lose much since you're only reading it on a black and white device and really any color coding is going to result in a grey variant at best in terms of differentiating it from the surrounding text, but more likely a slightly off black or a near invisible grey. Color for greyscale ereaders should really only be used for hyperlinks IMO. Those need a way to be set apart in a clear way. For other text there are better formatting options available.

#8  rashkae 07-04-2020, 05:27 AM
In Calibre, Edit the Book, (to open in book editor), Tools Menu, Filter Style Information, Check Colors and OK. Save the book and close the editor.

#9  droopy 07-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Quote rashkae
In Calibre, Edit the Book, (to open in book editor), Tools Menu, Filter Style Information, Check Colors and OK. Save the book and close the editor.
Thanks, I followed your instructions and see that.
However, I probably shouldn't do this. The market may soon have colored ereaders in the near future, and if I remove colors, I won't have the original colored epub anymore.

#10  NiLuJe 07-06-2020, 02:29 PM
KOReader has a "Pure black and white" CSS tweak. That's a one-click fix without touching the book ;p.

Next »  Last »  (1/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register