Mobileread
Reader for multi-user
#1  JSWolf 06-20-2020, 11:40 AM
Why is it that no Reader has accounts so multiple users can have their own settings? Like Netflix has different accounts for multiple users.

#2  LucyOne 06-20-2020, 12:00 PM
Pocketbook readers offer the possibility to create different user profiles.

#3  JSWolf 06-20-2020, 12:05 PM
Quote LucyOne
That's a feature I think they should all have.

#4  ilovejedd 06-20-2020, 12:09 PM
Because it’s not worth the development costs to implement? (not many, if any, users requesting the feature)

Mind, Amazon does support profiles but given the goal is to enforce parental restrictions, you probably can’t just switch profiles on the Kindle on the fly. Don’t have kids so not something I’ve bothered to try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GNTST5RQEYKPGLYE

#5  Bookstooge 06-20-2020, 06:14 PM
Kindles are the best!

#6  rcentros 06-20-2020, 09:25 PM
Quote JSWolf
Why is it that no Reader has accounts so multiple users can have their own settings? Like Netflix has different accounts for multiple users.
Quote LucyOne
I wondered what that feature was all about. I think though, the answer might be that most eReaders are only used by one person.

Some time I might try the profile feature, just to see what it does.
scr0001.png 

#7  rcentros 06-20-2020, 09:29 PM
Quote Bookstooge
Kindles are the best!
I can't buy and download a book from Kobo or Google Books or eBooks.com directly from my Kindle... I can do that on my Pocketbook.

Then, again, I can't buy a book directly from Amazon on my Pocketbook. So it evens out.

#8  ottischwenk 06-21-2020, 01:21 AM
Quote rcentros
I can't buy and download a book from Kobo or Google Books or eBooks.com directly from my Kindle... I can do that on my Pocketbook.

Then, again, I can't buy a book directly from Amazon on my Pocketbook. So it evens out.
With my Boox or Likebook I can buy and borrow from anywhere.
And that also works with my special Tolinos.

#9  MGlitch 06-21-2020, 02:43 AM
I know on at least one of the Nook tablet lines you had the option. I think BN upgraded the eink line to a version of Android that would support it, but I’m not sure if it was ever implemented in that series. I forget which NST was the one that launched with this, I think it was the Nook GlowLight Plus. This also caused issues for Mac users at the time of launch though I believe those issues were resolved in either firmware updates or Apple and Android deciding not to behave like children, I suspect it was the former.

As to why it doesn’t seem to be a widespread feature

1) not enough user demand
2) the limited space is already a complaint despite 8gb storing thousands of books. It’d be even more of one with the idea of sharing that space
3) it’s easier to produce a cheap entry level device so families can have one per member. This has been the case ever since the price for a good eink reader or ok tablet hit around 100 dollars or 50 dollars respectively

Yes I know Jon likely didn’t include tablets in his definition of ereader but they still factor in on this issue. Why spend money on a feature when you can push a device that pulls the customers further in to your ecosystem

#10  Bookstooge 06-21-2020, 05:52 AM
Quote rcentros

That was actually just me tweaking a certain somebody.

But to respond in all seriousness to you, I have never once bought a book through whatever ereader I was using at the time. I have always bought it through my computer and then put it into calibre, where I have always connected my ereader of the time through usb. Call me Battlestar Galactica paranoid, but Skynet won't get me with a terminator ereader

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register