Mobileread
Boyue Likebook Mars and ghosting
#11  ottischwenk 05-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Quote bazz2004
True, but not a very useful factor considering that my Kindle and the wife's Kobo can be also be used in bright sunlight. They were a fraction of the price of these Boyue units. The Kindle and Kobo devices are also dead easy to use - they've had the bugs ironed out by the developers.
But neither with Kindle nor with Kobo you can see comics properly and apart from that there are other applications that process comics quickly and cleanly

#12  bazz2004 05-25-2020, 08:27 AM
True again but I'm saying that all these devices are a poor choice for reading comics which are seen at their best in colour. Until there is a colour screen device available from one of the established names like Apple, Kindle or Kobo you are much better off with a computer or iPad to enjoy reading comics. It looks unlikely to happen though. So, if you think reading comics is a good reason to buy an e-reader prepare to be disappointed.

#13  ottischwenk 05-25-2020, 09:12 AM
Quote bazz2004
True again but I'm saying that all these devices are a poor choice for reading comics which are seen at their best in colour. Until there is a colour screen device available from one of the established names like Apple, Kindle or Kobo you are much better off with a computer or iPad to enjoy reading comics. It looks unlikely to happen though. So, if you think reading comics is a good reason to buy an e-reader prepare to be disappointed.
Of course, a colored device is better for colored books.
But color devices have major disadvantages in the gray scale range - eInk is optimal here.

#14  bazz2004 05-25-2020, 10:48 AM
We'll have to agree to differ. This isn't going anywhere.

#15  Pajamaman 05-25-2020, 11:08 AM
I read comics on an Onyx Nova 7.8". The Onyx is the best device I've ever owned to read comics. I bought it mainly to read comics and also to read pdf files, particularly scanned pdfs. I cannot read comics on an LCD screen; they hurt my eyes. I can read all day on e-ink.

The Onyx allows me to set how often to refresh the screen so I can balance between ghosting and screen-flashing and speed.

The Onyx Neoreader app allows me to divide large pages into separate panels in a number of different configurations, and also to define what direction to read between panels. I think this software is essential if one is reading on a screen smaller than 9.7".

I can also move quickly in and out of a dictionary when I am reading comics in a foreign language.

The Onyx screen also seems to be particularly clear when reading comics. The Neoreader app also has a lot of image processing options, like contrast and sharpening.

I don't wish to be an Onyx fanboy, but the device is excellent for reading comics, both because of hardware, and also because of software.

Edit: I do get ghosting on the Onyx. There are pretty easy ways to flash the screen manually and automatically per app (though I'm still trying to work that latter method out). I must admit, a little ghosting doesn't bother me that much. The only time it does bother me is when it interferes with the black background in reverse night mode when reading books.

#16  ottischwenk 05-26-2020, 04:46 AM
Quote Pajamaman
I read comics on an Onyx Nova 7.8".
I prefer Likebook - they have a much better file management than Boox and for reading im using Perfect Viewer.

#17  bazz2004 05-26-2020, 09:57 AM
"I don't wish to be an Onyx fanboy, but the device is excellent for reading comics, both because of hardware, and also because of software." Pajamaman

As Onyx have managed to update some of their devices to Android 9.0 and Boyue are unable to roll out similar upgrades to any models your choice was wiser. We are still stuck with Android 6.0. An OS upgrade was said to be imminent when I bought my Alita at an eye watering price last Autumn. As yet nothing.

#18  ottischwenk 05-26-2020, 01:57 PM
Quote bazz2004
As Onyx have managed to update some of their devices to Android 9.0 and Boyue are unable to roll out similar upgrades to any models your choice was wiser. We are still stuck with Android 6.0. An OS upgrade was said to be imminent when I bought my Alita at an eye watering price last Autumn. As yet nothing.
The last information I got from Boyue was that they are working on the update, but that Corona has hit the company hard and there are delays.

Onyx never updated any of their devices to Android 9 - such information is incorrect.
There are new devices with a lot of harware changes that have been equipped with Android 9.
Onyx has also not yet updated any device with regard to Android.

And my Nova2 has a terrible bug, whenever the sun shines on the screen, it turns gray - pictures can be admired in the Onyx thread.
Interestingly, Boox did not point out the benefits of working in the sun with this product.

Onyx is innovative - with Likebook I never had a problem.

#19  bazz2004 05-27-2020, 02:56 AM
It's hard to get any solid info with these strange devices. There's a hands on review in Nov 2019 (GoodEReader) of the Onyx Note 2 mentioning it running Android 9. To blame Covi9-19 on the failure to roll out the OS upgrade doesn't ring true. They've made a number of regular firmware upgrades and promised the Android 9 update a couple of times well before this current crisis.

Excuse me for being personal but why are there folks on the forum who have multiple Android e-readers from different manufacturers? They are clearly painfully slow - reminding me of early pc's where you could almost make a hot drink while waiting for them to be ready to go. Also, they are buggy and difficult to utilise fully. Are they given to folks in exchange for help with development or for maybe review purposes. I can think of little which would be less useful to make a collection of. At least stamps appreciate in value.

#20  ottischwenk 05-27-2020, 04:28 AM
Quote bazz2004
It's hard to get any solid info with these strange devices. There's a hands on review in Nov 2019 (GoodEReader) of the Onyx Note 2 mentioning it running Android 9. To blame Covi9-19 on the failure to roll out the OS upgrade doesn't ring true. They've made a number of regular firmware upgrades and promised the Android 9 update a couple of times well before this current crisis.
It makes a difference whether an update happens within the existing system or whether a system update is made
Excuse me for being personal but why are there folks on the forum who have multiple Android e-readers from different manufacturers? They are clearly painfully slow - reminding me of early pc's where you could almost make a hot drink while waiting for them to be ready to go. Also, they are buggy and difficult to utilise fully. Are they given to folks in exchange for help with development or for maybe review purposes. I can think of little which would be less useful to make a collection of. At least stamps appreciate in value.
The answer is simple:
EInk has many advantages over flashlights (colored screens) that throw the light directly into your eyes.
And different sizes make sense for a wide variety of applications.
And why different manufacturers?
Likebook does not have 6 or 13.3 inch devices - only those that are easy to use are available from Boox.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register