Mobileread
Very Old eReader still working?
#81  Arrghus 05-28-2020, 05:09 PM
Quote JSWolf
The Nook STR with light has terrible font handling. It's the same awful font handling that the nook STR has. I compared it to my PRS-650 and it was like the nook was using a different font. Just terrible. It'll be the same comparing your nook to your 350.
The 350 was also only 5 inches in diameter I believe which lent it a much higher DPI, presumably making any font look better.

I installed custom firmware on the Nook and went with Georgia IIRC, and that was satisfactory for a while. Bookerly is my go-to now, though.

#82  Arrghus 05-28-2020, 05:12 PM
Quote ZodWallop
A Nook ST w/Glowlight that has an undamaged screen was a hot commodity for a while in US eBay. It may still be. It's an ereader that has buttons, an SD card slot and a frontlight. In the US ereaders with all three are a rarity.
I got like £20 for it! I only paid about £60-80 for it new, from a catalogue shop called Argos. It was an impulse purchase and not one I researched terribly well.

But you're right, those features are uncommon even today. The buttons were so stiff though, and the resolution poor.

But please for the love of something holy will manufacturers realise we need something to grip when holding our devices in the air!? Chunky bezels please.

#83  ZodWallop 05-28-2020, 06:03 PM
Quote Arrghus
I got like £20 for it! I only paid about £60-80 for it new, from a catalogue shop called Argos. It was an impulse purchase and not one I researched terribly well.
Personally, I loved my ST with Glowlight. I only wound up replacing it because I managed to break the screen and buying a replacement on eBay was expensive.

The buttons were so stuff though, and the resolution poor.

But please for the love of something holy will manufacturers realise we need something to grip when holding our devices in the air!? Chunky bezels please.
Jon will follow this post to dump all over it, but you might like the Glowlight 3*. It's the modern follow up to the Nook ST, with more friendly buttons (though I preferred the ST buttons), big chunky bezels, orange frontlight and a beautiful 300 PPI screen. Nook software isn't as good as their competitors, but their hardware is great.

image »

*I know you're in the UK, so not likely to buy a Nook. I was just talking.

#84  rcentros 05-28-2020, 10:57 PM
Quote ZodWallop
Personally, I loved my ST with Glowlight. I only wound up replacing it because I managed to break the screen and buying a replacement on eBay was expensive.
I've got one still. My problem with the ST w/Glowlight was that the contrast wasn't very good. The words seem to "swim" to me. Partly why it took me so long to accept a front-lit eReader. (Maybe mine was (is) slightly defective.)

Quote ZodWallop
Jon will follow this post to dump all over it, but you might like the Glowlight 3*. It's the modern follow up to the Nook ST, with more friendly buttons (though I preferred the ST buttons), big chunky bezels, orange frontlight and a beautiful 300 PPI screen. Nook software isn't as good as their competitors, but their hardware is great.

image »
The screens on the Glowlight 3s are very, very good. Uniform lighting and a crisp screen with good contrast are the most important eReader attributes to me. I would put the Glowlight 3 up against any eReader out there, with the possible exception of the Kindle Voyage (the Voyage wins on pure clarity, but the GL3 has the warm light option with great clarity).

#85  JSWolf 05-29-2020, 06:17 AM
Quote Arrghus
The 350 was also only 5 inches in diameter I believe which lent it a much higher DPI, presumably making any font look better.

I installed custom firmware on the Nook and went with Georgia IIRC, and that was satisfactory for a while. Bookerly is my go-to now, though.
It wasn't because the 350 has a smaller screen. The 650 uses the same Pearl screen that the nook STR with and without light use. And when comparing the 650 to the nook, the 650 has much better font handling. It's not due to any hardware but due to poor font handling software on the nook.

#86  Opaline 06-19-2020, 01:33 PM
I have a Cybook Gen3 gold version from around 2006/7. As long as you make sure the book covers aren't too big it works fine. I also have a Kobo Glo and mini that get used regularly.

#87  revmike 06-19-2020, 02:08 PM
My first ereader was the Sony 505 which I bought in march 2008 and it remains to be my daily reader even though I purchased a refurbished T-2 son years ago from ebay.

#88  Ricky D'Angelo 06-20-2020, 12:42 AM
I bought two used Kobo N647-KBU-B Wireless e-Book Reader from shopgoodwill about a year ago. . . they worked ok for a month or two then. . . RIP.

« First  « Prev   (9/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register