Mobileread
Flush or recessed screen?
#41  Paperbackstash 05-28-2020, 04:18 PM
Waterproof is a huge deal for me, so if I have to have flush to have that, then I'd have to choose flush. That said, I prefer recessed in every other way --- no glare, no smudges, better clarity, my PW3 is much better for text than my PW4

I do agree the dirt getting in the edges was irritating though. Thank God for toothpicks!

#42  MGlitch 05-29-2020, 08:54 PM
Curious as to just how folks think a recessed screen is that much more durable than a flush screen. Unless the thing hitting your ereader is larger than the screen the small recess won’t offer any worthwhile protection. And at that size whatever is hitting it likely has a density that’d either damage the device or not regardless of the screen.

Just some examples

A brick hitting your ereader will likely result in a broken ereader flush or recessed screen

A sheet of paper on the other hand won’t.

A arrow striking your screen will likely damage it regardless

A feather falling on your screen won’t damage it

etc.

TL;DR the recess of ereader screens offers no additional protection from any reasonable source of damage.

#43  John F 05-30-2020, 08:20 AM
Quote MGlitch
Curious as to just how folks think a recessed screen is that much more durable than a flush screen. Unless the thing hitting your ereader is larger than the screen the small recess won’t offer any worthwhile protection. And at that size whatever is hitting it likely has a density that’d either damage the device or not regardless of the screen.

Just some examples

A brick hitting your ereader will likely result in a broken ereader flush or recessed screen

A sheet of paper on the other hand won’t.

A arrow striking your screen will likely damage it regardless

A feather falling on your screen won’t damage it

etc.

TL;DR the recess of ereader screens offers no additional protection from any reasonable source of damage.
I'm not saying a recess screened is more durable, but to answer your question...

I would guess the most common thing hitting the screen would be the ground (a dropped reader), which would be larger than the screen.

#44  Ripplinger 05-30-2020, 09:48 AM
Quote MGlitch
Curious as to just how folks think a recessed screen is that much more durable than a flush screen.
Of course, something hitting directly on the screen will still break the screen, flush vs recessed doesn't matter there.

I always place my cell phones face down, to protect the screen, and that only works because it's in a case that keeps the glass off the desktop, it's recessed enough in a case. It's the same idea with ereaders. If you drop it and it lands face down (and survives), chances are you can avoid any scratches on the screen if it's recessed (unless dropped on rocks of course). Plus you avoid fingerprint smudges on the top glass where you hold the reader, which would have me constantly wiping it down, and it's just more comfortable to hold for me with a bezel.

And for myself, I will only use an IR touch display for an ereader, so again, a bezel is required for that.

There are many other reasons for preferring a recessed screen besides just thinking it's more durable. It's not. It mostly gets down to personal preference.

#45  JSWolf 05-30-2020, 11:47 AM
One other reason for a recessed screen even if it's a capacitive touch is that the layers will be closer together and thus, more clear and sharp. Take a look at the PW3 vs. the PW4. The PW4 has a flush screen and the layers are not as close to the screen as they are on the PW3. If you compare the PW3 and the PW4, you will see the PW3 is cleaner and sharper.

#46  j.p.s 05-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Quote JSWolf
One other reason for a recessed screen even if it's a capacitive touch is that the layers will be closer together and thus, more clear and sharp. Take a look at the PW3 vs. the PW4. The PW4 has a flush screen and the layers are not as close to the screen as they are on the PW3. If you compare the PW3 and the PW4, you will see the PW3 is cleaner and sharper.
And the Voyage has a flush screen and is sharper than either, so flush versus recessed doesn't necessarily affect sharpness.

#47  Ripplinger 05-30-2020, 01:47 PM
Quote Richwood
As for units with infrared touch screens the last Kindle with that technology I am aware of was the Kindle Touch with a 167 PPI screen resolution. The Sony readers were all IR I believe with a highest resolution of 212 PPI. Based on response to a plastic pen used as a pointer I believe none of the current Kobo readers have IR screens though the Kobo Mini, Aura H2O original and Aura HD 7" apparently did. All also had screen with resolutions of less than 300 PPI.
I originally had a few Sony 350s, and then switched to Kobo Glo and then Kobo Glo HD when that came out. All of them are IR touch, and the Glo HD is 300 ppi. By a fluke I also have 3 of them, so I doubt I'll have to worry about picking out another reader anytime soon, I really love everything about the Glo HD.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register