Mobileread
Flush or recessed screen?
#11  4691mls 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM
Quote Quoth
I didn't vote because it depends HOW the recessed or flush screen is implemented.

Lighting: not a factor, depends on "light pipe" design. Recessed isn't a problem with ambient light shadow unless there is no margin. The active screen might not be part of a flush surface.
Fingerprints: not a factor, depends on surface type and if there are also buttons.
Dust: depends on the design of the recessed screen, certainly an issue on models were the front bezel is held on by double sided tape, but it doesn't need to be.

Screen surface finish, resolution, contrast, size and overall ergonomics are more important than surface vs recessed.
Quote Quoth
Indeed, if I HAD to choose, I'd choose recessed. Flush actually is really marketing and makes the screen more expensive to mount and more easily damaged.
I've many gadgets, some are flush (10" tablet is largest, 7" tablet, phone 6" screen, Binatone eReaders) and some are recessed (Laptop, Kindle DXG, Keyboard, PW3, Kobos, Nook, Sony, Palm)
What Quoth said

#12  theducks 04-01-2020, 12:59 PM
Recessed WITH BUTTONS for page turning
Reduced damage, grubby fingers have a dedicated place and not encroach onto the viewing area.

#13  Sirtel 04-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Quote HolyAura
I don't really mind the dust at the sides. The only two things I'm wondering about now is the clarity and whether the fingers will slip onto the screen. How much better is the clarity on recessed screen than flush? Does increasing the weight of the font solve the problem? If my fingers are resting on the bezel, do they touch the screen accidentally and flip a page?

Thanks for all your inputs!
No real differences in clarity. Note that most modern readers with recessed screens use the same capacitive touch the flush-screen readers use, so the screens are basically the same. IR touch isn't popular anymore (all my 6 ereaders, Kindles, Nook, Kobo, use capacitive touch, none of them uses IR. They're all relatively recent models, except for the Voyage).

As to slipping fingers, sorry, no idea. All my ereaders have buttons and I use those, so no accidental slipping.

#14  Apache 04-01-2020, 01:41 PM
Quote DNSB
I didn't vote since there is not a "I don't care" option. I've used readers with both recessed and flush screens and I've don't have a preference for either. Given the same technology for the touch, I haven't seen any real difference in brightness or sharpness. The older IR touch screens had fewer layers so, in theory, could be sharper for the same screen resolution but I needed a loupe to see any differences.
Thank you for saving me from typing this.
Apache

#15  tourneur 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM
I haven't had a flush screen ereader yet, but I would like one. Wiping the screen to remove dust and finger grease (even with page turn buttons I still touch the screen often for the menus) is a daily ritual. Cleaning a flush screen would go that little bit quicker and better and for me that would be worth it considering the amount of times I'm doing it.

#16  DNSB 04-01-2020, 02:34 PM
Quote HolyAura
How much better is the clarity on recessed screen than flush? Does increasing the weight of the font solve the problem?
I find very little difference between recessed or flush as far as clarity.

Quote HolyAura
If my fingers are resting on the bezel, do they touch the screen accidentally and flip a page?
I have my Kobo collection set to page forward/backward on swipe only. I think that most newer ereaders implement a similar feature.

#17  rcentros 04-01-2020, 05:51 PM
I thought I would like flush screens better, but now that I've got a couple of them, I find I really don't notice or care when I'm reading. I would respond to this poll with an "Either" if the option was there.

#18  azt33 04-02-2020, 01:50 AM
Quote tourneur
I haven't had a flush screen ereader yet, but I would like one. Wiping the screen to remove dust and finger grease (even with page turn buttons I still touch the screen often for the menus) is a daily ritual. Cleaning a flush screen would go that little bit quicker and better and for me that would be worth it considering the amount of times I'm doing it.
This. I prefer a flush screen, making cleaning the front so much easier. And I really do not like fingerprints, meaning that I end up using the buttons 99% of the time.

#19  4691mls 04-02-2020, 09:37 AM
Quote azt33
This. I prefer a flush screen, making cleaning the front so much easier. And I really do not like fingerprints, meaning that I end up using the buttons 99% of the time.
For me, how noticeable fingerprints are depends on the type of screen. I usually don't notice them on my e-ink reader screens unless they're really bad or the light hits the screen just right, but I am constantly wiping off my phone because fingerprints on it drive me nuts.

#20  Sirtel 04-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Quote 4691mls
For me, how noticeable fingerprints are depends on the type of screen. I usually don't notice them on my e-ink reader screens unless they're really bad or the light hits the screen just right, but I am constantly wiping off my phone because fingerprints on it drive me nuts.
It's exactly the opposite for me.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register