Mobileread
I love reading.
#11  JosephMiller 02-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Reading increases my vocabulary and my knowledge of how to correctly use new words, reading helps me clearly articulate what I want to say. The knowledge I gain from reading also gives me lots to talk about with others.

#12  barryem 02-18-2020, 07:14 PM
I've been retired for about 25 years or so. I can read as much as I want to. How much I do varies a lot. This week I've spent most of most days reading. Last week was about the same. The week before I mostly watched TV shows with a bit of reading here and there.

It's not that getting old doesn't have it's downsides. It does. But it's really nice in some ways.

Barry

#13  azt33 02-19-2020, 02:48 AM
Quote JosephMiller
Reading increases my vocabulary and my knowledge of how to correctly use new words, reading helps me clearly articulate what I want to say. The knowledge I gain from reading also gives me lots to talk about with others.
Same here! I also just enjoy using my own imagination and thinking about the book even when I'm not reading... I try to read as much as possible, especially in the evenings, it is the best to relax for me (when I'm reading a novel / mystery / fiction).

#14  Roos 02-19-2020, 05:38 AM
The very first complete story book i read, the first one without pictures and such, as a child, i lived the story, it enveloped me I could see feel and touch the story, never had that happen again after that magic first time.
My parents, when i went burning with enthusiasm to them to explain how magic it all was, berated me, said i was silly and it was al make believe. They send me to my room for telling nonsensical things, that must have broken the key to that magical land beneath the pages of books, i still feel it, know it is there, but it is out of my reach.
Still am a vagarious reader, but that magic world is gone.
The fact that i can clearly remember after 55 years says how much impact it had.

#15  Luffy 02-19-2020, 05:56 AM
Quote Roos
The very first complete story book i read, the first one without pictures and such, as a child, i lived the story, it enveloped me I could see feel and touch the story, never had that happen again after that magic first time.
My parents, when i went burning with enthusiasm to them to explain how magic it all was, berated me, said i was silly and it was al make believe. They send me to my room for telling nonsensical things, that must have broken the key to that magical land beneath the pages of books, i still feel it, know it is there, but it is out of my reach.
Still am a vagarious reader, but that magic world is gone.
The fact that i can clearly remember after 55 years says how much impact it had.
That's sad, man. You parents shouldn't have sent you to your room. There's no need for behaviour like that.

#16  Roos 02-19-2020, 06:13 AM
Quote Luffy
That's sad, man. You parents shouldn't have sent you to your room. There's no need for behaviour like that.
It is, it still did not take away my enjoyment of reading, and tbh reading the books i now am, that level of immersion would be terrifying (The ONSET series from Glynn Stewart)
A few years before they died i asked why they reacted so harsh, my mum said they had just converted to Jehova's Witnesses, and thought i needed to keep my head and feet in (their) reality..
It took some self controle not to mention the book they were to much immersed in, they themselves living outside of 'the world' as they called it. Sigh, no use crying over spilled milk, i just hope modern parents have more sense than this.

#17  booklover6 02-19-2020, 07:15 AM
Books are crack. I can't stop ingesting them. I want more and more and more! Hundreds of series unfinished and yet I start new ones all the time! No self control! Stern lectures about finishing series go ignored! Wise thoughts about sticking to authors I know get tossed away as new authors pique my interest! Books are crack.

#18  pwalker8 02-19-2020, 08:49 AM
Quote barryem
I've been retired for about 25 years or so. I can read as much as I want to. How much I do varies a lot. This week I've spent most of most days reading. Last week was about the same. The week before I mostly watched TV shows with a bit of reading here and there.

It's not that getting old doesn't have it's downsides. It does. But it's really nice in some ways.

Barry
Old is always someone older than you! Yea, I've discovered that being retired is pretty cool. That's a whole 10 more hours of the day that I can do what I want to. I still wish there were more hours in the day to do all the things I want to.

#19  Roos 02-19-2020, 04:36 PM
Quote booklover6
Books are crack. I can't stop ingesting them. I want more and more and more! Hundreds of series unfinished and yet I start new ones all the time! No self control! Stern lectures about finishing series go ignored! Wise thoughts about sticking to authors I know get tossed away as new authors pique my interest! Books are crack.
Ha! Join the club, and the older you get the more time you spend reading (mostly because TV is going to sh.t, the news is sh.t, politics is sh.t and the wold is going up in flames without any way to stop it) even some dystopian fiction of a decade ago sound better than where we are heading, nah, books are my preferred escape hatch, and i use them more and more..

-=- Proud To Be A Grumpy Old Man -=-

#20  Luffy 02-20-2020, 06:27 AM
Quote booklover6
Well said! The story that we read and imagine in our minds are so unique to each of us. E.g. My rendering of Poirot in my mind is never slow a story as depicted in the series. The children of Famous Five act naturally in my brain and don't suffer from inexperience as they do in front of the cameras. Reading makes you the god of your imagination. That's how books are crack.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register