Mobileread
Favorite Classic Book?
#21  caleb72 06-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Quote crich70
What isn't fair? You've lost me.
To only pick one? Just a guess though.

#22  Solicitous 06-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Not going to get into a debate over 'classics' but the most enjoyable book that I keeping thinking back to is The Grapes of Wrath. I was only 14 at the time but I absolutely loved it. I havent read it in a few years, but in my move into the digital book area, I think this will be one I will keep in paperback.

#23  stonetools 06-12-2011, 09:26 AM
The Lost World, Arthur Conan Doyle. I reread that every decade or so.

#24  James_Wilde 06-12-2011, 05:42 PM
"Persuasion" by Jane Austen.

#25  elemenoP 06-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Something strange is happening to me. There are classics I loved as a young adult, read in school or outside of school, but all the classics I've tried as a... not so young adult (including some re-reads) I have not enjoyed very much. I don't know why this is. I finished East of Eden recently and I got nothing out of it, even though I loved Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men (both of which I read when I was around 21 or so).

For my one classic, I guess I will say To Kill a Mockingbird, which I loved as a young adult and I would like to re-read it. But now I'm afraid to, for fear I won't like it!

eP

#26  covingtoncat73 06-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Jane Eyre.

#27  Namekuseijin 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM
elemenoP, I fear you just can't hear the same joke twice.

#28  Xanthe 06-12-2011, 10:27 PM
I really don't re-read the classics now; haven't done so in years.

But when I was a kid and a teen my favorites were Swiss Family Robinson, Captains Courageous, Pride and Prejudice, and The Grapes of Wrath. I re-read those countless times. They were all of equal importance to me. I would have to list those four as my favorite classics; I can't pick one over the other.

#29  jtdolphins 06-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I enjoy rereading books, just like rewatching movies or TV shows. Sometimes I don't want something new, I want something I enjoy and find comforting.

In high school to sometime in college/grad school, it was Catcher in the Rye. Now its Tale of Two Cities. Getting old I guess.

#30  maianhvk 06-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Quote elemenoP
But now I'm afraid to, for fear I won't like it!
I have the same feeling over some books, but not Sherlock Holmes. He's always terrific.

Quote jtdolphins
In high school to sometime in college/grad school, it was Catcher in the Rye. Now its Tale of Two Cities. Getting old I guess.
I never liked The Catcher in the Rye, though I read it when I was 16 and had really dark thoughts at the time. Don't know why I didn't like it. Maybe it was because of cultural difference?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register