Mobileread
Favorite Classic Book?
#101  wandalynn 07-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Quote Nancy Fulda
Speaking of Austen, has anyone tried any of the various Austen mash-ups? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies... totally weirds me out, and I'm scared to even start reading it. On the other hand, there's a kind of morbid allure there...
Not a mash-up, but I just finished My Jane Austen Summer: A Season in Mansfield Park by Cindy Jones and Mansfield Park. There were enough parallels that the two books read well together and enough differences to keep both interesting. But no zombies, alas.

#102  fbrII 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Can't limit it to one because I can't figure out which ones I would need to drop, but all time? maybe

Light in August, Faulkner, Bleakhouse, Dickens, L' Assommoir, Zola

Also very found of Trollope, Steinbeck and Doestoyevsky among others. Oh yeah, Dumas and Willa Cather ... ok, I'll stop now.

PS: Jose Saramago

#103  sun surfer 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Quote Pax
The Survivors of the "Jonathan" by Jules Verne

I really like that story and how the stranded survivors manage their lifes and the how the whole group evolves.
I have never read any Verne but was never really interested in 20,000 Leagues.

However, this book looks very interesting, as I mentioned earlier in the thread that one of my favourite classics is "Robinson Crusoe". I love good "stranded on an island" type stories.

Quote HarryT
The interesting thing about Verne is that the overwhelming majority of his books were what you might call "travelogues" - people having adventures in exotic locations.
This makes me even more interested, at least in his non-sci-fi stuff.

#104  fantasyfan 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
One's tastes change over time, but at the moment my favourite novelist is Jane Austen and my favourite novel is Persuasion. I think it's her masterpiece and has a delicacy combined with a satiric edge and autumnal quality that I don't think exists in any other work.

An utterly beautiful work.

#105  jehane 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Pride and Prejudice, with Persuasion a close second.

Honourable Mentions
Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest and Lady Windermere's Fan
William Shakespeare - Much Ado About Nothing
Baroness Orczy - The Scarlet Pimpernel
Agatha Christie - The Secret Adversary (only her first two are PD)
Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes

#106  Stephen_Melling 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
I second The Outsider by Albert Camus...

#107  Patricia81 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
My favorite one is "Crime and punishment" by Dostoievsky. I love Russian writers and most of all I like Dostoievsky's characters which always seem so real. That's what i love about his books, the psychological descriptions and analyzes.

#108  mldavis2 07-29-2011, 05:45 PM
The Count of Monte Christo by Dumas is a fun read of revenge, not too deep but redeeming qualities. In the Top 10 on my list of classics.

#109  Pax 07-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Quote sun surfer
I have never read any Verne but was never really interested in 20,000 Leagues.

However, this book looks very interesting, as I mentioned earlier in the thread that one of my favourite classics is "Robinson Crusoe". I love good "stranded on an island" type stories.
Oh, I also enjoy the "stranded theme". I think, you will like The Survivors of the "Jonathan".

If you have good recommendations about the "stranded themes", please leave me a message (PM).

#110  Scott Nicholson 07-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I just downloaded Treasure Island for Kindle so I could have the experience of reading a childhood paper favorite on a new platform and at a greatly advanced age. Plus my daughter is related to Stevenson..

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (11/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register