Mobileread
Sloooow update
#1  roger64 10-23-2020, 09:02 PM
Hi

I use monthly OTA updates. I did it some days ago. The process was reasonably quick for the first two sliders, but the processing of the third and last slider was really awfully slow (between to 4.5kb down to 1.5kb). I had to resume updating five times before incrementally completing the update (good we do not have to resume from zero..).

My current location is in China. Is there any reason for the huge difference in speed between the first two sliders and the third one?

#2  NiLuJe 10-23-2020, 09:49 PM
It's a (series of) range requests, so, it's (somewhat) different each time.

Given that the master is located in the US (+ CloudFlare), and the mirrors in Canada (-na), Western (-fr) & Central (-pl) Europe, I'd indeed expect slow to downright terrible results in Asia, doubly so in China, because, err, The Wall.

I'd try the -na and -pl mirrors, just in case, but I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath .

With sane peerings, the limiting factor is usually the device's I/O, and/or the Wi-Fi signal itself, on devices with not-downright-terrible I/O.

As a random example, I'm seeing roughly the same 1.4MB/s that I see with LAN<->LAN Wi-Fi transfers to the same device in the same location on the same network:

Code
#################--- 88.1%
#################--- 88.1% 155.6 kBps 26:52 ETA
#################--- 88.1% 495.2 kBps 8:55 ETA
##################-- 90.3% 1006.9 kBps 0:13 ETA
###################- 95.2% 1207.8 kBps 0:02 ETA
###################- 98.2% 1449.5 kBps 0:00 ETA
###################- 99.2% 1495.2 kBps 0:00 ETA
###################- 99.3% 1547.1 kBps 0:00 ETA
#################### 100.0% 1444.0 kBps DONE

#3  roger64 10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
Thanks for your answer.

The download speed for local Arch repository is between 2 to 4 MB/sec but slower for some Aur updates.

I'll try to use other repositories for OTA updates. How could i change it?

#4  pazos 10-24-2020, 08:54 AM
Quote roger64
I'll try to use other repositories for OTA updates. How could i change it?
Burguer menu -> update -> settings -> server

#5  roger64 10-24-2020, 08:52 PM
Quote pazos
Burguer menu -> update -> settings -> server
Thank you.

My previous selected mirror was http://koreader.ak-team.com/

I'll try different other mirrors and report the result for the next update.

I know that the Tsinghua university in Beijing provides a fast mirror for Arch repositories (not only that distro). Maybe they would accept to host a Koreader mirror for Chinese users ?

#6  NiLuJe 10-24-2020, 09:45 PM
Oh, well, that probably didn't help .

That one's got barely any bandwidth, and is hosted in the north of France .

It's at the end of the list for a reason, it's really only there as a last resort in case your ISP has a severe allergy to CloudFlare CDNs and OpenStack object storage based mirrors .

#7  roger64 10-25-2020, 01:58 AM
I never paid any attention to mirror selection when in Europe nor willlingly selected this particular mirror (as it happened, it just worked reasonably before).

Good to know they are ranked by speed (sort of). But, the download speed obtained varies according to the server, to the location (or IP) of the user and may change over time. So this ranking is at best an advice.

I use a provided bash script to select mirrors by speed with Arch. Maybe this kind of tool could be adapted to Koreader?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors#List_by_speed
https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

The other idea would be to find a Chinese host since Koreader is now a world class application.

#8  Frenzie 11-04-2020, 04:53 PM
I use a provided bash script to select mirrors by speed with Arch. Maybe this kind of tool could be adapted to Koreader?
That's Cloudflare's job really. You can pretty much regard all the others as backup unless you're in China.

#9  roger64 11-07-2020, 05:50 AM
Quote Frenzie
... unless you're in China.
I am

#10  Frenzie 11-07-2020, 08:04 AM
In that case it's conceivable that one of the other mirrors would do better. Not because they're geographically closer or have more bandwidth or anything like that, but just because Cloudflare is a well-known entity and @NiLuJe's server probably isn't. Then again, you said the French one was pretty slow and it gives me 80+ Mbit… (Well, only 10 Mbit or so on my H2O of course but that's simply its speed limit.)

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register