Mobileread
Nickel still scanning hidden Koreader folder
#1  tapanta 10-21-2020, 09:44 AM
Hi all,

I have just installed Koreader, but Nickel still scans the hidden koreader folder and shows plenty of images in the home page.

I have added the required:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?

in the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file, before the first unplug after the koreader unzip. I can still see the line the in eReader.conf file (even if it is now moved of place within the file), so I definitely put it there!

I thought that the modification of the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf was all that was required to prevent the scanning.

I am using Kobo Libre.

Any ideas?

#2  NiLuJe 10-21-2020, 09:50 AM
You'll also have to make sure Nickel *actually* triggers a scan for that to have any impact.

(So, if you tried to be cute and modified it at runtime in a shell while Nickel was running, and then just restarted the device, it won't do a thing).

Which is why the usual, recommended approach is doing it during a good old USBMS session, as *that* will trigger a scan on eject.

(If you have NickelMenu installed, a scan or a full_scan triggered that way *ought* to do the same, but I've never actually tried it myself to handle this very specific use-case).

#3  NiLuJe 10-21-2020, 09:54 AM
Note that, once the scan takes, it will *delete* said stuff, so you'll have to reinstall custom stuff.

Also, the deletion will *not* happen during an "Importing content" screen, it'll happen "live", in Nickel, once it's resumed.

Which means you don't really have a surefire way of knowing when it's done, unless you remember your actual correct total book count, or you follow the syslog.

#4  tapanta 10-21-2020, 04:14 PM
Quote NiLuJe
You'll also have to make sure Nickel *actually* triggers a scan for that to have any impact.

(So, if you tried to be cute and modified it at runtime in a shell while Nickel was running, and then just restarted the device, it won't do a thing).

Which is why the usual, recommended approach is doing it during a good old USBMS session, as *that* will trigger a scan on eject.

(If you have NickelMenu installed, a scan or a full_scan triggered that way *ought* to do the same, but I've never actually tried it myself to handle this very specific use-case).
Thanks a lot for the reply! I have modified the file using text editor from the PC while kobo was connected with the USB.. is this what you mean by USBMS session? or did I just do something extremely naive?

sorry for the question, I am just very new to this!

#5  NiLuJe 10-21-2020, 05:41 PM
Then I'm going to assume that there's either a typo somewhere or a weird issue with the config file's syntax, somehow, or your OS threw a wrench in the proceedings.

Do try to force a rescan (ideally via NickelMenu), otherwise, use the OCP install script.

#6  Ken Maltby 10-23-2020, 12:34 AM
Is this some feature of more recent Kobo firmwares? A simple linux hidden file/folder, where it is named with a dot in front, was all that was needed to prevent nickel from scanning and trying to process those folders/files.

Luck;
Ken

#7  NiLuJe 10-23-2020, 10:21 AM
@Ken Maltby: 4.17+.

#8  geek1011 10-23-2020, 11:31 AM
An alternative to this config file entry is my kobo-dotfile-hack mod, which I've recently rewritten to use NickelHook.

KoboRoot.tgz

Quote NiLuJe
The full_scan will do it.

#9  tapanta 10-26-2020, 07:06 PM
finally the reason behind this is the fact that I was running a 4.16 version of the firmware. Maybe adding the modification to the config file meant for the 4.17+ was forcing it to scan hidden folders instead?? sounds unlikely but from what I read 4.16 and onward would not scan hidden folders by default.. so not sure why it did that.

In any case updated FW and now it works fine.

#10  NiLuJe 10-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Oh, yeah, the "scan all the things" behavior was originally implemented *without* the config option to control it, which came a few days/weeks later in another update.

(I, err, don't remember the exact versions, but, yeah, running up to date stuff is always recommended anyway ^^).

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register