Mobileread
Literary Quartet in Autumn by Barbara Pym
#1  sun surfer 10-13-2020, 02:03 PM
'This is the story of four people in late middle-age - Edwin, Norman, Letty and Marcia - whose chief point of contact is that they work in the same office and they suffer the same problem - loneliness. Lovingly, poignantly, satirically and with much humor, Pym conducts us through their small lives and the facade they erect to defend themselves against the outside world. There is nevertheless an obstinate optimism in her characters, allowing them in their different ways to win through to a kind of hope. Barbara Pym’s sensitive wit and artistry are at their most sparkling in Quartet in Autumn.'

Goodreads

There are two phases of discussion. The first begins immediately and may contain conversations about anything pre-completion of the selection including reading progress, section thoughts, outside info, etc. The second begins on the 1st and also includes anything post-completion. These are recommended to help us discuss things in a similar timeframe but anyone can discuss any part or aspect at any time.

This is the MR Literary Club selection for October 2020. Everyone is welcome so feel free to start or join in the conversation at any time; the more the merrier!

show attachment »show attachment »show attachment »show attachment »

#2  sun surfer 10-13-2020, 02:11 PM
It seems there isn't an audiobook of this, so this will be the first ebook version of a selection I've read for the club in many months. I'm actually excited for that as mentioned before I've been bogged down in one ebook for a long time - and still working on it! - so this will be a nice change of pace. Also, I have a new ereader (the Boox Poke 2 Colour, my first new ereader in over I think half a decade) and this will be the first full book I read on it.

#3  astrangerhere 10-13-2020, 04:30 PM
Quote sun surfer
It seems there isn't an audiobook of this, so this will be the first ebook version of a selection I've read for the club in many months. I'm actually excited for that as mentioned before I've been bogged down in one ebook for a long time - and still working on it! - so this will be a nice change of pace. Also, I have a new ereader (the Boox Poke 2 Colour, my first new ereader in over I think half a decade) and this will be the first full book I read on it.
I'm actually on hold for the original 1977 printing at my local library. It was that or the large print edition. No ebook edition option for me. But I am looking forward to it nonetheless.

#4  Bookworm_Girl 10-14-2020, 12:46 AM
Quote sun surfer
I didn’t think to check the audiobook for availability. My library doesn’t have the ebook or paperback available so I will have to purchase this one. Hope you enjoy your new ereader! That’s exciting!

#5  AnotherCat 10-19-2020, 05:48 PM
I'm at around the 90% mark with this book and while it is not the type of book I would normally aim myself at to read I am enjoying this one. Was a good choice.

#6  Bookworm_Girl 10-20-2020, 02:46 AM
Glad to hear it! I just purchased it over the weekend and will be starting later this week. I have never read anything by Pym before.

#7  astrangerhere 10-20-2020, 07:50 AM
I read about half of the novel in one sitting last night. Like Anothercat, I would not have typically picked this up to read, but I am really enjoying it.

#8  astrangerhere 10-27-2020, 09:29 AM
I have made a good many notes and will post my thoughts later. However, I can say confidently that this book will be in my top 10 this year. So glad to have read it.

#9  Bookworm_Girl 10-27-2020, 11:47 AM
I’m happy you enjoyed it. I have read about 20% now and should finish this week.

#10  Bookworm_Girl 11-04-2020, 11:51 PM
I finished the book this weekend, and I am ready to discuss. I enjoyed the book. The characters grew on me as I read. Often we highlight the first line of a book, but the last line of this book was great. I liked the positivity of the final statement. I also liked the wry sense of humor of Pym.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register