Mobileread
Modern Golden Age style mystery/crime writers?
#11  Uncle Robin 09-20-2020, 01:25 AM
Quote 4691mls
I don't know about "golden age" style. But I am with you on trying to avoid books where it seems like the author is constantly trying to come up with ever more gruesome crimes which are described in disgusting detail. I also don't usually like the kind of cozy where the main character runs a local food or craft shop and annoys local law enforcement by butting into all their investigations.

Here are some series I've found that I would classify as not too cozy nor too violent:

Martin Walker's Bruno, Chief of Police
Thank you for the recommendations and for understanding what I was looking for - "golden age" was a kludgy attempt at a descriptive catch-all, no more. I was especially pleased that you completely nailed the exact type of "cosy" that leaves me cold, thank you

I am going to check your recommendations because I have just finished Bruno 13, and am now fully up to date with that series. So if the others you mention have some similarities, the chances are good that I will enjoy them too

#12  ApK 09-20-2020, 09:30 AM
Quote 4691mls
I also don't usually like the kind of cozy where the main character runs a local food or craft shop and annoys local law enforcement by butting into all their investigations.
While I did enjoy several of the coffee house mystery cozies by Cleo Coyle, I agree in general with the sentiment.
Even in those where the protagonist is put in proximity to the crime in a reasonable way,. I can never help feeling like during the series, the police would have neutralized this person long ago, either for constantly interfering or because some outsider so often involved with murders is probably the killer....

I enjoyed how the "Mrs. Pollifax" spy novels subvert that trope by starting out having the elderly, outsider protagonist walk into a CIA office and ask if she could please get a job as a spy.
(Not murder mysteries, but I do recommend at least the first few in that series, starting with "The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax.")

#13  JSWolf 09-20-2020, 12:50 PM
I recommend...

Hanna Swensen by Joanna Fluke
Vera Stanhope by Ann Cleeves
Roderick Alleyn by Ngaio Marsh
Philo Vance Murder Cases by S. S. Van Dine
Chief Inspector Gamache by Louise Penny
Charlotte and Thomas Pitt by Anne Perry
Inspector Adam Dalgliesh by P. D. James

#14  Apache 09-20-2020, 02:45 PM
If you are up to trying the genre with a twist then I recommend The Garrett P.I. Series. It is detective and mystery Noir set in a fantasy world. It kind of reminds me of the Nero Wolfe series, but instead of a fat man their is a dead man. The series is written by Glenn Cook who also authored the Black Company Series.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/c/glen-cook/garrett-pi/
Apache

#15  Luffy 09-20-2020, 04:06 PM
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series is a problematic recommendation. I've read only a couple of books, but the reason I didn't carry on is because they are very sexual in nature. Be warned.

#16  Uncle Robin 09-20-2020, 06:15 PM
Quote Luffy
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series is a problematic recommendation. I've read only a couple of books, but the reason I didn't carry on is because they are very sexual in nature. Be warned.
Thanks for the heads up, I will likely pass on that series now.

#17  4691mls 09-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Quote Luffy
Quote Uncle Robin
Thanks for the heads up, I will likely pass on that series now.
It's been a while since I've read some of them so my memory may be faulty. I think that the topic varies from book to book. The ones I recall, while there may have been sex crimes involved, didn't generally involve detailed descriptions of sex acts.

#18  4691mls 09-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Quote JSWolf
I recommend...

Hanna Swensen by Joanna Fluke
Vera Stanhope by Ann Cleeves
Roderick Alley by Ngaio Marsh
Philo Vance Murder Cases by S. S. Van Dine
Chief Inspector Gamache by Louise Penny
Charlotte and Thomas Pitt by Anne Perry
Inspector Adam Dalgliesh by P. D. James

I think I read one book from the Fluke/Swensen series and it was one of those food-related books I thought was too cozy. Obviously YMMV though.

I've read some of the Marsh/Alleyn series. Those probably are a good fit with what the OP is looking for.

The Perry/Pitt series are set in Victorian England. I mostly liked the ones I read and felt like I learned something about life in Victorian England. The biggest annoyance (for me) with those is that they tend to end abruptly.

#19  4691mls 09-28-2020, 10:33 AM
The Mystery thread in the Deals section of the forum reminded me of the Harry Kemelman Rabbi Small series. I read a few of those a while back - my recollection is they were cozy but not too cozy.

#20  ApK 09-28-2020, 10:38 AM
Quote 4691mls
The Mystery thread in the Deals section of the forum reminded me of the Harry Kemelman Rabbi Small series. I read a few of those a while back - my recollection is they were cozy but not too cozy.
Thanks for the reminder. I read the first and enjoyed it. I've been forgetting to try the next. BTW, there was a very short lived TV series with Art Carney based on these books called "Lanigan's Rabbi." I'd like to find a way to see these sometime.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register