Mobileread
Original or unique Fantasy Books
#21  Gandulf 10-03-2020, 03:00 PM
Quote paulag
Have you read The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson? It has complex characters who have compelling ands varied motives, it's pretty atmospheric, and has pretty original and interesting ideas on imperialism, identity, and war.
Nope, will have a look at them, thx.

P.S. Hitch, their seems to be 4 book, only 3 out.

#22  Hitch 10-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Quote Gandulf
Nope, will have a look at them, thx.

P.S. Hitch, their seems to be 4 book, only 3 out.
Hi:

Oh, on the Traitor Cormorant books? Thanks for the heads' up.

Hitch

#23  basschick 10-07-2020, 02:00 AM
Quote poohbear_nc
Liz Williams' Detective Inspector Chen series - mixture of magic, religion, eastern cultures, police procedural, and, yes, a shape-shifting tea kettle.
and, hooray, it's available on kindle unlimited, so thanks for the recommendation, and i just added it to my kindle.

Quote cromag
In the "unique" category, I recently read Spondulix: A Romance of Hoboken, by Paul Di Filippo. Basically, it's a fantasy about the economy, among other things. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Edited to add that I read the Detective Inspector Chen series last year and really enjoyed them.
read the sample of spondulix, added to my "get next" list. thanks!

Quote Dazrin
Here are a couple less traditional ones that I really enjoyed:
The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz (a little more than 10 years old but the later books are in this time frame)

For unique magic systems in more traditional fantasy settings:
The Penric and Desdemona series of novellas by Lois McMaster Bujold is also a good read. It is set in the same world as some of her other books but no knowledge of them is needed. (I have no idea if there are spoilers in these though, I just enjoyed them a lot.)
The Paper Magician series by Charlie Holmberg
The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin

And, I'll third the Rivers of London books. Lots of fun.
the golem and the jinni was a standout for me. i read the first penric and desdemona for free, which led me to getting all but the most recent one AND three of the novels in the same universe.

i love the first rivers of london - insanely creative, funny and perky - liked the second and third, and i sort of drifted away for book 4. maybe i'll start over again and see how it goes.

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register