#12  BenG 09-30-2020, 11:45 AM
The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke

#13  JSWolf 09-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Quote Emissarius
The Invisible Library.
Sorcery of Thorns.
The Mortal Engines (more steampunk).
How is Mortal Engines unique? IMHO, it's just more steampunk.

#14  Hitch 09-30-2020, 01:47 PM
Quote poohbear_nc
Excellent series!
Hey, pooh!

You know, I believe we discussed this series previously and for the first books, I loved it (the series), but this last one (False Value)...man, it just totally fell off my love-meter.

It was all his g/f Beverly, all the time, as if she's the center of the series and while she's a nice supporting character--she's not interesting enough to me, to carry an entire book. It's as though the entire premise of the series--crime-solving mysteries in the Supernatural world--disappeared.

I dunno. The "mystery" is muddled and mundane, and the timeline is utterly bonkers. It makes NO sense. The Nightingale is missing, effectively. (I don't mean that's a plot element). It's just...meh. Even Toby and the "housekeeper" are mostly MIA.

And the "me and so-and-so"...I am so totally over that. Peter's education, his comments, etc., are fairly erudite. In some ways, he's the Longmire of the Metro PD. But Aaronvitch keeps dropping that in there, typically 2-3x per book, and at this point, it's utterly tone-deaf. Yeah, we get it, Peter's an outsider. It's not like the protag says it when in conversation with someone else who would say it. It's....peculiar.

I hate it when this happens, when I love a series and then for whatever reason, the trolley leaves the tracks. (Yes, "early" Laurell K. Hamilton, who used to write a cool supernatural alternate universe mystery series with a kick-ass heroine, I'm talkin' to YOU! I would bitch at Robert B. Parker, too, [anybody else want to murder Susan?] but...no point at this point, sadly.)

ETA: Oh, Inspector Chen. LOVED those, Pooh turned me on to them, but be advised, it ends on a cliffhangar and the ensuing books are not going to be published, apparently. (sob)

Hitch

#15  DiapDealer 09-30-2020, 02:03 PM
I mostly enjoy the Peter Grant books, but there were a few clunkers along the way for me. Aaronovitch has two proclivities that can drive me absolutely bonkers: 1) over-the-top acronym usage (yes, I realize it's a procedural, but still, I've no desire to keep a decoder cheat-sheet handy!); and 2) mind-numbing architectural dissertations. I just couldn't possibly care any less about what buildings/houses look like.

Other than that, it's all good!

#16  issybird 09-30-2020, 02:48 PM
I couldn’t get past the first Peter Grant book. I was really enjoying it, but the river gods were too much for me. I guess I can suspend my disbelief only so far.

#17  JSWolf 09-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Another series I'll give a nod to that's good is..

Thursday Next by Jasper Fforde.

#18  hobnail 09-30-2020, 03:11 PM
Quote Hitch
You know, I believe we discussed this series previously and for the first books, I loved it (the series), but this last one (False Value)...man, it just totally fell off my love-meter.
Hitch
For me there are few series that don't fall off after several books, often very few books. About the only ones that stay worthwhile is when subsequent books are devoted to a different character or they jump to a different time. (The Curse of Chalion is a good example, also Abhorsen.)

#19  paulag 10-02-2020, 10:07 AM
Have you read The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson? It has complex characters who have compelling ands varied motives, it's pretty atmospheric, and has pretty original and interesting ideas on imperialism, identity, and war.

#20  Hitch 10-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Quote paulag
Have you read The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson? It has complex characters who have compelling ands varied motives, it's pretty atmospheric, and has pretty original and interesting ideas on imperialism, identity, and war.
If you're asking me, my answer is no, I haven't but if the third book has been released, I may well give it a go.

(Ever since a well-known fantasy author gave her readers the shaft, leaving an unfinished trilogy for 20+ years, I've been largely unwilling to gamble on unfinished trilogies from new-to-me authors. Of course, we were all screwed on the Inspector Chen mysteries. [sigh])

FWIW, I also liked the Paper Magician, but while I felt that series started out strongly, (although a little "romance-y" for my tastes), IMHO, it petered out and the author has suddenly broken off into other characters set in the same universe.

Hitch

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register