Mobileread
Reading the Classics via The Well Educated Mind
#21  gmw 07-28-2020, 04:21 AM
Quote pwalker8
There is a difference between the earliest writings and the earliest writings that we have copies of. There were quite a few people who were contemporaries of Alexander who wrote about him, but we don't have any copies of those works. We just have references to those works by later writers. The Greek historian Arrian used the writings of Ptolemy I, one of Alexander's generals and Aristobulus, an officer in Alexander's army for his history of Alexander's campaigns.
Chinese whispers was a fun game. Curious to see that Wikipedia says North Americans call this game "telephone".

#22  pwalker8 07-28-2020, 08:37 AM
Quote gmw
Chinese whispers was a fun game. Curious to see that Wikipedia says North Americans call this game "telephone".
Not particularly curious given how teens use to gossip on the telephone. Yes, there is that particular aspect, we don't know if a writer is accurately conveying the information in the book, but then again, we know that copyist frequently will either miscopy or slip in something when they copy. For the most part, we can be reasonably confident in broad actions, i.e. that Alexander existed, the various battles and such. The details, not so much. There are a couple of different versions of how he died. That's why it's best to have multiple unique sources (i.e. not two people using the same source material) and compare them. Not really an option when you go back farther and farther in history.

#23  astrangerhere 07-28-2020, 10:23 AM
I am intrigued. I am #1 in line for holds at my library.

#24  dublincheri 07-28-2020, 09:42 PM
Oddly enough I have that translation on my Kindle. Motivation to actually read it would be nice!

#25  BelleZora 08-01-2020, 10:35 AM
The Edith Grossman Don Quixote is on sale today for $2.99 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Don-Quixote-Miguel-Cervantes-ebook/dp/B001R1LCKS/?tag=mr060-20

#26  svenlind 08-02-2020, 06:18 AM
Quote BelleZora

https://www.amazon.com/Don-Quixote-Miguel-Cervantes-ebook/dp/B001R1LCKS/?tag=mr060-20
Thank You

#27  ElspethB 08-04-2020, 10:40 AM
I was just coming here to share this info, but BelleZora beat me to it!

Quote BelleZora

#28  astrangerhere 08-25-2020, 03:40 PM
Quote astrangerhere
I am intrigued. I am #1 in line for holds at my library.
Well, I did get my copy from the library and I was largely underwhelmed. The introductory material about the trivium was interesting, but not new to me. As for the guided reading - you would find almost the same lists in any graduate program as in each genre, her list is largely the recognized "THE CANNON." In fact, if you want a checklist, you can find all the books she lists in the book here without the outlay.

I have no desire to start an argument about the cannon, but I think if you followed her suggestion of reading chronologically, you could get just as much as the Harvard Classics to then guide you into modern reading that you could likely curate for yourself.

*disclaimer - I did not attend public school and was likely educated in the classical manner even if not in name.

#29  pwalker8 08-26-2020, 06:34 AM
Quote astrangerhere
Well, I did get my copy from the library and I was largely underwhelmed. The introductory material about the trivium was interesting, but not new to me. As for the guided reading - you would find almost the same lists in any graduate program as in each genre, her list is largely the recognized "THE CANNON." In fact, if you want a checklist, you can find all the books she lists in the book here without the outlay.

I have no desire to start an argument about the cannon, but I think if you followed her suggestion of reading chronologically, you could get just as much as the Harvard Classics to then guide you into modern reading that you could likely curate for yourself.

*disclaimer - I did not attend public school and was likely educated in the classical manner even if not in name.
Well, if you read the intro, you would note that the point of the book is that it's oriented towards helping someone who does not have a classic liberal arts education, educate themselves with the classic books. Yea, you get the same book list, but a secondary point is the engage in meaning discussion of the various books, i.e. force yourself to actually think about the books. It's the sort if thing that I first started doing in the 7th grade at school, but a lot of people didn't have the advantage of that sort of education. Her ideal seems to be something much like those book clubs that a lot of people belong to where everyone read the same book then gets together to discuss it. I suspect this type of activity tends to appeal to a certain type of personality.

#30  HLS 09-05-2020, 08:48 PM
I am trying to read all of HP Lovecraft. I consider him a classic. I tried to read Emma by Jane Austin and it was so boring I stopped. I read Lord of the Flies but other than that Classics dont interest me much.

« First  « Prev   (3/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register