Mobileread
The 2020 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread
#11  Luffy 12-07-2019, 03:34 AM
Quote issybird
Your challenge, your call.

(I wouldn't consider it cheating myself.)
Thank you. I got a taste for omnibuses from reading the seamless account of the Cazalet Chronicles, by Elizabeth Jane Howard, which are 5 books in one and comprise 3500 pages.

#12  Luffy 12-07-2019, 03:37 AM
Quote Tarana
I have only 2 goals this year. One is to read at least 3,000 pages per month and the other is to read at least 25 literary magazines I already have (Lightspeed, Nightmare, etc). I want to avoid the total books read this year as I anticipate starting some series with very long books (Peter Hamilton-Void series, Robert Jordon - Wheel of Time (lend from someone else), Sanderson - I have 2 series) as well as completing all the rest of the Shannara series before the final book comes out in 2020).

FWIW, I count Omnibus' as separate books. They are collected in an omnibus for convenience, but remain full, separate books.
I believe that books in an omnibus that can stand alone and are episodic can be counted as separate books. But still, it's all about personal opinions.

#13  sakura-panda 12-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Last year was a poor reading year for me; I went from over 100 books completed in 2018 to just over a dozen in 2019. I'm hoping to get back into reading again and at this point, I'm hoping to at least double my tally.

#14  Wearever 12-09-2019, 04:08 PM
I did well in my reading goal of 52 books I'm presently at 60 read. For my Sci Fi challenge I wanted to challenge myself to one Sci fi book each month, I read 11 so far this year. It was also for some reason one the hardest challenges I've done. Not that I don't enjoy Sci fi books I do, I just don't read as many as I do other genres. The challenge is to try to read more of them in a year. I even started watching the Expanse series on Prime. I just started 2001 Space Odyssey as a reread. There was something about a possible monolith being found on an asteroid or a moon in real life, at least it looked like one. They speculate it's as big as the Empire State building from the shadow it cast. Well that was it for me ! Now I'm probably going to read 2010 Space Odyssey next. I guess they were off by a decade, not bad. This was the catalyst to get me to read more Sci Fi ! If it's a real monolith or not.

#15  Uncle Robin 12-10-2019, 08:11 PM
Quote Polarpenguin
To read & Enjoy!

This, exactly and precisely this, no more and no less.

I achieved my GR Reading Challenge of 104 for the year, and am now thinking that with all the books I have started and those still waiting, that Amazon data gathering portal is of no more use to me, so I'm likely to delete my account and simply read what I want to read, when I want to read it. If I get desperate enough, I may even read a book whose letters are etched onto the corpses of slain trees.

#16  library addict 12-12-2019, 09:57 PM
I set some general goals and planned out 7 reading challenges with 20 books each. I want to keep my goals lighter for next year as I have some big projects that will impact my reading time.

#17  tourneur 12-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Will take part for the first time here, looks like fun! I will go for a book a week, so 52 books.

#18  pdurrant 12-16-2019, 04:10 AM
Welcome to the challenge thread. I hope you find keeping track enjoyable.

#19  CRussel 12-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Well, I signed up again, but I confess I'm not sure how active I will be with it. I was doing well at keeping up to date until mid-summer this year when "life" took over all my spare time. I had time to read, but NOT time to update here. And I found a clear majority of my reading was "comfort re-reads", not anything new and definitely not anything challenging. Sad, but hardly surprising given how I've spent the last 7 months. OTOH, a lifetime of voracious reading has given me a huge back catalog of books to re-read, so that's the good news.

#20  astrangerhere 12-18-2019, 04:35 PM
Goals:

Length Goals:
Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) | Total Pages: 25,000 | ETBR Reduction: 25 | PTBR Reduction: 10
Substantive Goals:
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/nonbinary authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club/Literary Book Club selections

January Totals:

0 books - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!
0 short stories - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!
0 pages - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!
0% female/nonbinary authors / 0% male authors - Ready to start!
0% US authors / 0% non-US authors - Ready to start!
ETBR Reduction: Reduced by 0 - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!
PTBR Reduction: Reduced by 0 - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/20)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register