Mobileread
MobileRead Library Recommendations
#41  gmw 06-17-2016, 09:29 AM
I would recommend "The Woman in White" and "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins. Wonderful stories, told in an interesting manner.

If you're not already familiar with Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. Rider Haggard, and enjoy adventure, fantasy and sci-fi, then I'd thoroughly recommend the omnibus collections of their novels. I've enjoyed revisiting these very much - saving wear and tear on my very old paper editions .

One of the great pleasures of choosing from MR is the care that has been taken to produce the files.

#42  HarryT 06-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Quote gmw
If you're not already familiar with Edgar Rice Burroughs and H. Rider Haggard, and enjoy adventure, fantasy and sci-fi, then I'd thoroughly recommend the omnibus collections of their novels. I've enjoyed revisiting these very much - saving wear and tear on my very old paper editions .
I'm afraid that the Burroughs ones aren't there at the moment because, although all Burroughs' books are in the UK public domain (which is where I am) they are not in the more general life+70 public domain which is what we now work to. They will reappear on 1st Jan 2021.

#43  Lynx-lynx 06-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Quote gmw
....... One of the great pleasures of choosing from MR is the care that has been taken to produce the files.
Agreed

I've read and enjoyed a number of ebooks from the MR Library, including:
Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K Jerome
Bulldog Drummond - HC McNeile (Sapper)
Brewsters Millions - George Barr McCutcheon
The Prisoner of Zenda - Anthony Hope
and others

Each book has been carefully prepared and has been a pleasure to read.

With great thanks to all the contributors

#44  astrangerhere 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM
I am seeking recommendations/opinions on what some of the best science fiction is here in the MR library.

#45  Luffy 05-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Quote gmw
One of the great pleasures of choosing from MR is the care that has been taken to produce the files.
I'm only beginning to understand the work that has gone into the ebooks. I'm reading Les Miserables and Moby Dick.

#46  astrangerhere 08-21-2018, 11:03 AM
I'm bumping this thread because I feel like it does not get enough (read: hardly any) love. Here's some reccomendations:

The beautifully formatted Letters of Jane Austen

This edition of Jane Austen's letters was edited by Jane Austen's great-nephew Edward Hugessen Knatchbull-Hugessen (the first Baron Brabourne, 1829-1893), and was published in 1884. It's neither complete (about two thirds of the letters now known to have survived are included), nor are the texts of the letters necessarily always transcribed with minute scholarly fidelity, but it's out of copyright, and includes many annotations and interesting comments on the letters.
The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield

A House to Let with contributions from Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Elizabeth Gaskell and Adelaide Anne Procter.

A House to Let was the Household Words Extra Christmas Number for 1858, and was co-authored by Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, and Elizabeth Gaskell, all well established novelists, and Adelaide Anne Procter, Queen Victoria's favourite poet who in her time was ranked just below Tennyson. Dickens and Collins together provided the linking text between each story. The chapter entitled 'The Manchester Marriage', by Elizabeth Gaskell, was also included in her 1860 short story collection Right at Last and Other Tales.

#47  astrangerhere 10-14-2020, 10:28 AM
Quote Luffy
I've been downloading a few books from mobileread. The quality of many obscure e-books is very surprising.

If anyone has downloaded such books from this site, can they give recommendations? That's it.
I have recently grabbed the Joe Muller detective stories, written by Austrian author Augusta Groner (under the pen name Auguste Groner) and enjoyed them. I think the first thing I ever downloaded here was the Thinking Man Omnibus and I still have it in the collection.

My favorite from this year is the Letters of Jane Austen.

#48  ekbell 10-14-2020, 01:15 PM
I've enjoyed the books of essays written by A. G. Gardiner, Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson, The Dream of Gerontius by J. H. Newman, and books by Clarence Day.

My children have also enjoyed a number of the books produced by GrannyGrump.

#49  Larla 10-15-2020, 10:49 AM
Quote gunbad
Recently I have been enjoying the works of J.S. Fletcher an English mystery writer. Time spent searching the MR library is time well spent.
That wouldn't be Jessica Fletcher by any chance?

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register