Mobileread
Book Uploads Posting Guidelines
#11  NatCh 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Simply put, readingaloud, this is the sub section for PRC formatted books, that's why it's PRC only.

PDF's, if you wish to produce and upload them, would be entirely welcome in the Other Books sub section.

#12  readingaloud 09-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, it is the ONLY thread in the directory "iLiad : iLiad book uploads". I see, now, that there is another path to it, that labels it as you say.

But be that as it may, why should I have to wade through zillions of "other books" to find the relatively small number of iLiad books--isn't the device it's for more important than the format?

#13  NatCh 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
That's a good point, readingaloud. We're still trying to figure out the best way to do things on this, so it's not real surprising that we aren't already doing them the best way, I s'pose.

It might be good to have a way to designate the intended device in the "other books" section ...

... or perhaps a section specifically for formatted PDF's, with some notation as to which display size they're formatted for -- hopefully iLiad won't always be the only 8" screen!

#14  andym 09-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Quote readingaloud
I format my public domain books in InDesign, and output them as PDFs. I don't know how one produces PRCs (or whether it's even possible on a Mac), but from what I've seen there's relatively little control over the design of the page. I know that PRCs can reflow with different text sizes, but that's a feature I'm willing to do without if it means that I can't make the text look good at any size.

Here's the first chapter of Arnold Bennett's "The Grand Babylon Hotel" as an example. It might not be to all tastes, but I don't see what it would hurt if I posted books in this format, which presumably all iLiad owners can read, and some will prefer.
The text is painfully small on my pda. So text reflow may be a feature you can do without but I can't.

#15  JSWolf 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Quote readingaloud
Why is it that you specify that only PRC-format books can be shared here?

For reasons I've stated elsewhere, I think iLiad books in the Mobipocket format are exceptionally ugly, and I avoid them. Now, I don't want to dispute matters of taste, but I don't see why those of us who occasionally spend time producing a good-looking text is some other format shouldn't also share with other iLiad owners.

I format my public domain books in InDesign, and output them as PDFs. I don't know how one produces PRCs (or whether it's even possible on a Mac), but from what I've seen there's relatively little control over the design of the page. I know that PRCs can reflow with different text sizes, but that's a feature I'm willing to do without if it means that I can't make the text look good at any size.

Here's the first chapter of Arnold Bennett's "The Grand Babylon Hotel" as an example. It might not be to all tastes, but I don't see what it would hurt if I posted books in this format, which presumably all iLiad owners can read, and some will prefer.
Remember, MobiPocket is NOT just for the iLiad. It runs under Windows,on the forthcoming Cybook Gen3, PDAs, cell phones, etc. So a MobiPocket formatted file is good for more people then just iLiad owners. You PDF that you've formatted does look nice, but for the Cybook Gen3 or Sony Reader, it's not going to look so nice. Sometimes you do have to think of the greater good. And the greater good says that MobiPocket format is best overall for use with MobiPocket readers.

#16  Hadrien 09-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Quote JSWolf
Remember, MobiPocket is NOT just for the iLiad. It runs under Windows,on the forthcoming Cybook Gen3, PDAs, cell phones, etc. So a MobiPocket formatted file is good for more people then just iLiad owners. You PDF that you've formatted does look nice, but for the Cybook Gen3 or Sony Reader, it's not going to look so nice. Sometimes you do have to think of the greater good. And the greater good says that MobiPocket format is best overall for use with MobiPocket readers.
The greated good would be epub then. According to the latest posts on Mobipocket forums, it'll be supported by their software in the near future and we already know that it'll be supported by Adobe and Sony too.
That's the only format that should work everywhere in the near future. I don't think we can expect Mobipocket on a Sony device for the moment, or that we'll ever see LRF on a non-Sony device.

PDF can work everywhere if you don't store them, but generate them on the fly with the right formatting. Can be a pain in the a** if you have multiple devices yourself, but the format itself can work on a very large number of devices if you follow this rule.

#17  readingaloud 09-15-2007, 10:30 AM
I heartily endorse the idea that MobileRead is for people who use any of many different platforms. It doesn't follow that content on it should be limited to the least capable ones.

Note, please, that I asked my original question because the PRC format was the only format accepted by the only category under the description: "iLiad Book Uploads: Share your e-books made specifically for the iRex iLiad". I now understand that this is a bad description--that the link is really to another category. What I fail to see, however, is why there shouldn't be a category that follows the description--books formatted specifically for the iLiad.

My heart goes out to people who are trying to read books on cell phones and PDAs. I'm glad that somewhere there are folks wrestling with the problem of how to make text readable on them. But I'm afraid that I don't have a clue about how to do this, and I have no desire to learn. Perhaps if I were a better person, I'd put aside my own preferences and work for the "greater good". As it is, I put my efforts into making the books that I want to read. I'm willing to share that effort, but not to redirect it into making books I have no desire to read.

I, for my own use, format books for the platform I prefer to use. If I thought that others would benefit, I would occasionally invest a little extra time in making the book look especially nice, partly because I'm not really a terrible person, and partly because I might occasionally benefit from a similar effort from someone else. I don't see that there would be any harm in letting me do that.

#18  cfw123 12-28-2007, 05:13 AM
Once Amazon gets their Chinese producers of the Kindle to produce in real volume (they say June 2008), the Kindle will quickly outnumber all other ebook readers combined. Not saying that is right -- just that this is what will obviously happen. I do love my Kindle (got it Dec. 4th) but I know that there must be room for others, else the Kindle will never be improved. And of course Kindle will be internationalized once Sprint goes everywhere -- but not before the domestic market demands have been met.

So whatever format conversion programs that are produced, must always produce true Kindle files -- single file per ebook, B&W illustratios 600x800 max with only 4 grey scale levels, etc. There must be an ebook cover page (full size 600x800), TOC with links to the chapters, etc. For many this will be a lowest common denominator format, but it is still necessary -- at least as an option.

Input must accept the common ones such as PDF's (with hopefully some improvements over what we have today), DOC, html, rtf, txt, and whatever is around.

Such a program will liberate us from the mess that is there today.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.

#19  HarryT 12-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Quote cfw123
And of course Kindle will be internationalized once Sprint goes everywhere -- but not before the domestic market demands have been met.
Sorry Charles, I'm not with you. Could you explain what you mean by "once Sprint goes everywhere?" Sprint is a CDMA network; the rest of the world uses GSM. Sprint is never going to go "everywhere"!

So whatever format conversion programs that are produced, must always produce true Kindle files -- single file per ebook, B&W illustratios 600x800 max with only 4 grey scale levels, etc. There must be an ebook cover page (full size 600x800), TOC with links to the chapters, etc. For many this will be a lowest common denominator format, but it is still necessary -- at least as an option.
This is exactly what MobiGen does.

Look forward to seeing your book uploads, Charles!

#20  slussen2 02-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Can someone explain exactly how you upload books to this site?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register