Mobileread
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?
#29321  pdurrant 10-25-2020, 07:16 AM
Quote pdurrant
Next Up: Grantville Gazette VIII (print edition). Selected stories from Grantville Gazettes (e-versions) 31-45 inclusive. And a previously unpublished story by Eric Flint.
And this was excellent. Although that fact that I know I've read all the stories but one, and the fact that I couldn't really tell which one that was, perhaps says that the individual stories are enjoyable but not very memorable.

Then a read a recent freebie, Spellbreaker by Charlie N. Holmberg. This was a very readable fantasy romance, with a second part to come in 2021. But given that the background was supposed to be a Victorian England, the attitude to servants and other employees was really off. So an enjoyable read, but I can't give it more than 3/5.

And now I'm reading A Liaden Universe Constellation, Volume 4 by Shareon Lee and Steve Miller. And it is absolutely splendid. it'll be a very solid 5/5 once I've finished it.

#29322  Uncle Robin 10-25-2020, 03:15 PM
The second book in the Foreign Bodies anthology was written by Palle Rosenkrantz, a namesake and descendant of THE Rosenkrantz - who knew that Rosenkrantz and Gyldenstierne were real people, and not just figments of Tom Stoppard's imagination?

#29323  pdurrant 10-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Quote pdurrant
And now I'm reading A Liaden Universe Constellation, Volume 4 by Shareon Lee and Steve Miller. And it is absolutely splendid. it'll be a very solid 5/5 once I've finished it.
And indeed it is.

Next up: Tombland by C J Sansom. Set in mid-1500 England, it apparently covers Kett's Rebellion, and is mostly set in Norwich!

(Tombland is the flat area in front of the cathedral close, where Norwich's market used to be until the Norman Conquest, when it was moved to be in front of the Castle.)

#29324  Uncle Robin 10-25-2020, 04:00 PM
From the intro to a Maurice Leblanc story in Foreign Bodies "pit Lupin against characters with such names as Herlock Sholmes and Holmlock Shears." - I wonder what Donan Coyle thought of those stories?

#29325  Luffy 10-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Quote Uncle Robin
From the intro to a Maurice Leblanc story in Foreign Bodies "pit Lupin against characters with such names as Herlock Sholmes and Holmlock Shears." - I wonder what Donan Coyle thought of those stories?
He was reething with sage.

#29326  Fbone 10-28-2020, 10:41 PM
Quote Fbone
Next another freebie, Negation Force by Anthony James.
Readable but that's it. Weak characters. Technological inconsistencies. Sudden intelligence. Silly dialog. Nothing memorable. Rated D [2 stars]

Next hopefully something better, The Case of the Seven Whistlers by George Bellairs.

#29327  pdurrant 10-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Quote pdurrant
Next up: Tombland by C J Sansom. Set in mid-1500 England, it apparently covers Kett's Rebellion, and is mostly set in Norwich!
And a splendid tale it was, with a Shardlake murder mystery linked into the days of Kett's Uprising. And almost twice as long as most of the books in this series! Excellent, with a large appendix detailing what historical facts are actually known about the summer of 1549.

Next up: Journey to the Heart of Luna. First volume of Space 1889 - steampunk in space, apparently. I bought it ages ago (2014), so it's time I read it. There are 11 more volumes in the series by various authors, so I hope I like it!

#29328  DiapDealer 10-29-2020, 06:46 PM
Recently read Lavie Tidhar's By Force Alone. It's billed by many as a "reimagining of the King Arthur legend." Which seems a little silly to me since the King Arthur legend is itself a result of the continuous reimagining and amalgamation of various myths and legends by countless story tellers over the centuries. But however you want to label it, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

There's no chivalry, no damsels in distress in this tale. Arthur gets his start taking over the drug trade on the streets of Londinium. Guinevere is the leader of a mercenary band of women, and Lancelot is a Judean assassin who trained under Joseph of Arimathea. The grail is not a holy relic.

Kingdoms are forged and ruled by force alone.

Now starting Jasper Fforde's newest release: The Constant Rabbit. An allegorical tale based on an alternate U.K. where a "Spontaneous Anthropomorphic Event" fifty-five years ago resulted in human-sized walking, talking rabbits living among us. Some of which, I'm told, refer to humans as "Fudds".

#29329  bizzybody 10-30-2020, 03:15 AM
Quote pdurrant
And a splendid tale it was, with a Shardlake murder mystery linked into the days of Kett's Uprising. And alomst twice as long as most of the books in this series! Excellent, with a large appendix detailing what historical facts are actually known about the summer of 1549.
I bet you'd like Harry Turtledove's "Ruled Britannia" set in the years 1597–1598, in an alternate universe where the Spanish Armada was successful in 1588.

#29330  pdurrant 10-30-2020, 03:35 AM
Quote bizzybody
I bet you'd like Harry Turtledove's "Ruled Britannia" set in the years 1597–1598, in an alternate universe where the Spanish Armada was successful in 1588.
I like a lot of Harry's work (e.g. The Tunnel Under the Deep which I read recently), but I must admit that I find historical alternate history a bit annoying when it's set only a short while after the change in history. I can appreciate it intellectually, but I don't like having to work out which bits are part of actual history, and which bits have changed.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2933/2944)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register