Mobileread
PocketBook Inkpad Color (PB741)
#1  Kory 02-23-2021, 10:07 AM
I ordered one on the first day of was available on Amazon and received it yesterday.

It may not be the perfect color device, but it is still a significant upgrade for me over my Kindle Paperwhite (G1).

I've put a bunch of books on it and some magazines and I'm pleased with the look so far. I'm still learning the device.

I tried inserting a micro SD card with a capacity of 128gb (smallest I have) and it recognized it as only having 66mb. So I'll have to order 32gb card. Not that it is urgent. The settings day it has 14,074mb total with 13,069mb free.
20210222_114906.jpg 

#2  Nicolay77 02-23-2021, 10:31 AM
Great info, I am waiting to see if Kobo launches a similar device before I press the buy button.

Does it have an aligned justification setting?

#3  nhedgehog 02-23-2021, 10:52 AM
Try formating it FAT32.

#4  totasenior 02-23-2021, 10:54 AM
@Kory
I suggest you read the comments on the link here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324501

#5  Pajamaman 02-23-2021, 11:35 AM
If you have time, I would like to see some pictures of color comics, pure text books, and also books with both color images and text.

#6  Nicolay77 02-23-2021, 12:25 PM
Another question

How is the .cbz / .cbr support?

#7  rantanplan 02-23-2021, 03:46 PM
Quote Kory
I tried inserting a micro SD card with a capacity of 128gb (smallest I have) and it recognized it as only having 66mb. So I'll have to order 32gb card. Not that it is urgent. The settings day it has 14,074mb total with 13,069mb free.
Windows will by default format everything larger than 32gb as exfat. Exfat is a file system that requires licensing, thus not available everywhere.

With Linux based readers, you have the option to format the sdcard as fat32 (you'll need 3rd party tools for that) or ext4 (a Linux based file system). fat32 is not optimized for such large sizes and you'll lose a lot of space just for the file managing part of the file system. Ext4 is optimized for large sizes and also better optimized for speed.

If you have the option (e.g. download a knoppix ISO to boot from it) you may be better off to format the sdcard from there using ext4 as file system. With the magic of MTP USB connections, you can still use Windows to fill up those GiB

#8  Kory 02-23-2021, 06:59 PM
Quote totasenior
@Kory
I suggest you read the comments on the link here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324501
Thank you, Tota! This worked a charm. My 128gb Samsung micro SD card works perfectly in my PB IP Color.

#9  m4mmon 02-24-2021, 07:56 PM
Quote Pajamaman
If you have time, I would like to see some pictures of color comics, pure text books, and also books with both color images and text.
Hi,
Not exactly what you are asking for, but some pictures of the device in various situations.
https://imgur.com/a/nWKIWID

In my opinion it is not very good, it is not that it has "only" 4096 colors, and I do not expect something looking like a LCD, but it is really dull, and you see the "grid" of the color layer which has a lower resolution than the black layer. And this with good lightning. As the source light goes down, it gets worse.

So... If you are into mangas which have only the covers in color and all the contents in black and white, pick another inkpad like 3 or pro. My "old" 840 does a better job for those and for text.
If you want to see charts with a few colors etc. yeah it is ok for that.

I hope next generations of color eink screens will get better, now it is more a gadget than anything else.
That said, I like the device, but... it is too soon for eink color in my opinion.

#10  texfan 03-08-2021, 04:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I have recently bought this charm, it accepts my 1tb microsd(Sandisk), as well as my 512 Gb microsd (Samsung), both are exfat formated for holding my comic books.

The color is awesome for a ereader as the Kaledo 2 is rocking. Does a quite decent rendering of the images for all my comic books which are less in size and for the books which are in size larger than 500 mb it takes sometime for initial load.

overall its a charm and must device for all comic readers.

Texfan.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register