Mobileread
8th gen kindle stuck on battery icon (!), no reaction to PC
#1  WLA80 02-20-2021, 10:20 AM
Hi Folks

I'm new here - cheers to all of you!

I signed up to ask for help (if at all possible) in bringing my 8th gen kindle back to life.
I've read all I could find on the subject, checked some YT guides etc and yet I still could not resolve the issue.

Symptoms are:
- Battery icon with exclamation mark on the screen
- no reaction from the screen
- not much response to button pressing (LED goes green for 5 sec and goes off, and that's all)
- resetting does not seem to do much (more detail below)

I've tried the following / current status:
- taking it apart and testing the battery; I've disconnected it and recharged with external smart charger. Battery is fine, holds the voltage. Test points on PCB show same voltage too, so power is being delivered.
- recharging it for 24h+ in usual way brought nothing. LED was orange and then eventually off. I tried 3 different charges and cables. Only change I've noticed is that it turns now green at some point of the charging process (rather than going simply off) and stays so. No further reaction to button though.
- 40s+ pressing and holding the button brings only the following reaction: led goes green, after few seconds blinks green 2x and then orange 5x. That cycle repeats few times during the 40s period. No reaction on the screen whatsoever. I've tried at least a dozen times, holding the button down sometimes much more than a minute.
- I tried hooking it up to PC as well as doing it with the button pressed (various time / phase of blinking cycle); it's not recognized by PC at all.
- I've tried the freezer trick (40min or so) to no avail
- all tapping, squeezing etc brings nothing
- there is no visible damage, no traces of liquids / corrosion / mechanical damage anywhere (including PCB as far as I can tell / see)

Do you heave any idea that could help (other than using it as a chopping board in the kitchen )?

SN starts with: 00965-16-....
Model code: SY69JL

Is there a way (and need) I could force a firmware into it? Again, there is no reaction to PC; various cables tested. I have soldering skills and equipment as well as some programmers / converters laying around (nothing with 1.8v though).

All help would be appreciated!

Cheers

#2  Paperbackstash 02-21-2021, 12:46 PM
I've had my Oasis go completely dead to where I had that icon and also could not get the button to change color. I plugged into the wall outlet for a bit, sometimes it takes awhile, then start messing with the power button again while having it still plugged in. I hold the power button down until it sometimes restarts or changes the button color. It means a completely exhausted battery and it can be tricky to respond but will once it gets a charge.

You have tried much more than me so I am not sure -- are you sure your charging port and cable also work?

#3  eddie.t.h 02-21-2021, 02:36 PM
Try to press down on the power management chip with your finger and then turn it on. In this model, they like to crack the joints under it. Unfortunately, due to the sticking of the motherboard to the display, repair is practically impossible.

#4  WLA80 02-22-2021, 08:17 AM
Quote eddie.t.h
Try to press down on the power management chip with your finger and then turn it on. In this model, they like to crack the joints under it. Unfortunately, due to the sticking of the motherboard to the display, repair is practically impossible.
Sounds like a good tip; a thing I did not try yet.
Which chip exactly is responsible for power management?
I have a hot air rework station so I may try my luck.
Cheers

#5  WLA80 02-22-2021, 08:18 AM
Quote Paperbackstash
I've had my Oasis go completely dead to where I had that icon and also could not get the button to change color. I plugged into the wall outlet for a bit, sometimes it takes awhile, then start messing with the power button again while having it still plugged in. I hold the power button down until it sometimes restarts or changes the button color. It means a completely exhausted battery and it can be tricky to respond but will once it gets a charge.

You have tried much more than me so I am not sure -- are you sure your charging port and cable also work?

I'll try to play more with the power button, but as you say - I did already a lengthy journey there, so I don't have high hopes

As for the cable and port, they are fine. I tested 3 charges and 3 cables...all that on top of charging the battery outside the Kindle.

#6  WLA80 02-22-2021, 08:26 AM
Adding a PCB picture I grabbed form a video. Maybe you can use it to point potential weak spots.
Kindle.jpg 

#7  hius07 02-22-2021, 08:32 AM
https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=758607&st=920#entry104102778

Linked and the next post with a picture (it's in Russian, needs translation)

#8  eddie.t.h 02-22-2021, 09:00 AM
I marked PMIC in the photo. Soldering on this board is very risky. The board is thick and requires a lot of heat, which unfortunately causes damage to the display.
IMG_20210222_145552.jpg 

#9  WLA80 02-22-2021, 09:04 AM
Quote eddie.t.h
I marked PMIC in the photo. Soldering on this board is very risky. The board is thick and requires a lot of heat, which unfortunately causes damage to the display.
Damn... that's what I feared. I hate BGA chips
I'll try anyway. Not much to loose at this point

#10  WLA80 02-22-2021, 09:06 AM
Quote hius07
https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=758607&st=920#entry104102778

Linked and the next post with a picture (it's in Russian, needs translation)
Good resource, thanks!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register