Mobileread
PocketBook Touch HD 3
#1  skb 02-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Thinking seriously of buying a Pocketbook reader. What is the battery life like on this model, does anyone know?

Also, I'm a "load my whole library" onto the reader sort of person (I know, I know), so how would the library list cope (I tried this on my old Kobo and the answer was "badly").

Would I need a case, because they almost cost more than the device in Australia...?

thanks all

#2  rcentros 02-08-2021, 07:09 PM
Quote skb
Thinking seriously of buying a Pocketbook reader. What is the battery life like on this model, does anyone know?
The battery life seems to be very good on mine. I've had the HD3 for about 2½ weeks, it came out of the sealed box at 97% charged (which suprised me). I haven't charged it yet (though today it complained that its battery was getting low at 9%). During this time I've read on it every day, upgraded its software, used it's WiFi based Send-to-PocketBook features, plus I've downloaded an Overdrive book, using its browser — and tried out its text to speech feature and listened to part of one of its included Sherlock Holmes' Audio books. I've synced it a few times to the PocketBook Cloud, but I don't leave WiFi on all the time — so that needs to be factored in. (I also haven't, as of yet, tried out it BlueTooth feature.)

Quote skb
Also, I'm a "load my whole library" onto the reader sort of person (I know, I know), so how would the library list cope (I tried this on my old Kobo and the answer was "badly").
I'm not a "whole library" kind of person, so can't be much help here. I did read in a post on the PocketBook forum, that you can upload all your books (I assume there is a limit?) to DropBox and download them all via the DropBox app built into the HD3. I haven't tried it personally though, so can't (personally) vouch for this.

Quote skb
Would I need a case, because they almost cost more than the device in Australia...?
I would get a case. The HD3 weighs 155 grams and (at least it seems to me) there must be some compromise in its structure. In the U.S. cases are cheap. I bought one from Amazon Prime for about $11, but it doesn't have the wake/sleep support — it's a kwmobile and is (otherwise) a good case.

TechInn supposedly ships to Australia and they seem to have some good prices on PocketBook branded cases. (I'm not sure if all cases have wake/sleep support, so you might want to investigate that on other sites as TechInn's description seems kind of sparse.) I don't know what TechInn charges to ship to Australia. To the U.S. they are pretty reasonable... and fast.

https://www.techinn.com/en/tablets-ereaders-pocketbook/11491/4338/x

The screen is the most evenly illuminated one I have. 7 white LEDs and 6 amber ones. I see no "coning" at all.

#3  skb 02-09-2021, 02:36 AM
Quote rcentros
The battery life seems to be very good on mine. I've had the HD3 for about 2½ weeks, it came out of the sealed box at 97% charged (which suprised me). I haven't charged it yet (though today it complained that its battery was getting low at 9%). During this time I've read on it every day, upgraded its software, used it's WiFi based Send-to-PocketBook features, plus I've downloaded an Overdrive book, using its browser — and tried out its text to speech feature and listened to part of one of its included Sherlock Holmes' Audio books. I've synced it a few times to the PocketBook Cloud, but I don't leave WiFi on all the time — so that needs to be factored in. (I also haven't, as of yet, tried out it BlueTooth feature.)

I'm not a "whole library" kind of person, so can't be much help here. I did read in a post on the PocketBook forum, that you can upload all your books (I assume there is a limit?) to DropBox and download them all via the DropBox app built into the HD3. I haven't tried it personally though, so can't (personally) vouch for this.

I would get a case. The HD3 weighs 155 grams and (at least it seems to me) there must be some compromise in its structure. In the U.S. cases are cheap. I bought one from Amazon Prime for about $11, but it doesn't have the wake/sleep support — it's a kwmobile and is (otherwise) a good case.

TechInn supposedly ships to Australia and they seem to have some good prices on PocketBook branded cases. (I'm not sure if all cases have wake/sleep support, so you might want to investigate that on other sites as TechInn's description seems kind of sparse.) I don't know what TechInn charges to ship to Australia. To the U.S. they are pretty reasonable... and fast.

https://www.techinn.com/en/tablets-ereaders-pocketbook/11491/4338/x

The screen is the most evenly illuminated one I have. 7 white LEDs and 6 amber ones. I see no "coning" at all.
Well, that all sounds excellent! Thanks. I think I'll order one (and a case). Thank you again.

#4  rcentros 02-09-2021, 06:47 AM
Quote skb
Well, that all sounds excellent! Thanks. I think I'll order one (and a case). Thank you again.
Now I feel responsible if anything goes wrong. I hope, if you do get one, that you'll like your HD3 as much as I like mine.

#5  skb 02-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Quote rcentros
Now I feel responsible if anything goes wrong. I hope, if you do get one, that you'll like your HD3 as much as I like mine.
That's all right - I won't come looking for you.

I'd pretty much decided to get one (retail therapy) as I want an ereader for a big trip later in the year where I may be camping for days at a time & no power.

I'll report back when it arrives! Thanks again.

#6  cm1 02-10-2021, 12:05 AM
Quote skb

thanks all
I read at least an hour per day on my PB Touch HD 3, with its light on all the time. I charged it only once so far (to 100% 2 weeks ago) and it's only now down to 65%.

I have a fair number of books on mine and I think it runs very fast.

Yes, you would probably want a case, I liked and bought this one: https://www.amazon.com.au/kwmobile-Compatible-Pocketbook-Touch-Basic/dp/B07XC5SQB1

#7  totasenior 02-10-2021, 04:03 AM
I myself strive to store all my books in the reader.
Of course, I also store backups on other media.
I don’t use Dropbox because the free storage is small for me and I don’t want to buy more storage here either, as I already have storage elsewhere for this purpose (storage).
The reader's library can be stored in several languages at the same time, I use Hungarian and Polish sublibraries.
As for the library: books can be organized into folders, grouped by author, by topic, subdirectories can be managed, or as the user wants.
You can create any directory system you want.
As for the case: you might want to look around amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, and ebay.com, ebay.co.uk as well.
There are factory cases (pocketbook) and aftermarket cases such as kwmobile, I find the US origin Fintie case (https://www.ebay.com/itm/FINTIE-Slimshell-Case-for-Pocketbook-Touch-HD-3-Lux-4-Basic-Black/124465604939?epid=4043705421&hash=item1cfaba694b:g :O~EAAOSwOFRfx~tb). Wakes up, sleeps, light, thin.
Otherwise, I completely agree with the respondents in front of me, one of the best readers so far.

#8  rcentros 02-10-2021, 06:15 AM
Quote totasenior
...I find the US origin Fintie case (https://www.ebay.com/itm/FINTIE-Slimshell-Case-for-Pocketbook-Touch-HD-3-Lux-4-Basic-Black/124465604939?epid=4043705421&hash=item1cfaba694b:g :O~EAAOSwOFRfx~tb). Wakes up, sleeps, light, thin.
Otherwise, I completely agree with the respondents in front of me, one of the best readers so far.
It's a little frustrating to see Fintie cases for the Tolinos and PocketBooks advertised in Europe, but not available in the U.S.— even though Fintie is U.S. based. I understand why, but it's still a bit strange.

#9  skb 02-10-2021, 04:44 PM
Quote cm1
I read at least an hour per day on my PB Touch HD 3, with its light on all the time. I charged it only once so far (to 100% 2 weeks ago) and it's only now down to 65%.

I have a fair number of books on mine and I think it runs very fast.

Yes, you would probably want a case, I liked and bought this one: https://www.amazon.com.au/kwmobile-Compatible-Pocketbook-Touch-Basic/dp/B07XC5SQB1
That sounds like just the shot! I've ordered it and am now impatient for it to arrive.

Thanks
Quote totasenior
I myself strive to store all my books in the reader.
Of course, I also store backups on other media.
I don’t use Dropbox because the free storage is small for me and I don’t want to buy more storage here either, as I already have storage elsewhere for this purpose (storage).
The reader's library can be stored in several languages at the same time, I use Hungarian and Polish sublibraries.
As for the library: books can be organized into folders, grouped by author, by topic, subdirectories can be managed, or as the user wants.
You can create any directory system you want.
As for the case: you might want to look around amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, and ebay.com, ebay.co.uk as well.
There are factory cases (pocketbook) and aftermarket cases such as kwmobile, I find the US origin Fintie case (https://www.ebay.com/itm/FINTIE-Slimshell-Case-for-Pocketbook-Touch-HD-3-Lux-4-Basic-Black/124465604939?epid=4043705421&hash=item1cfaba694b:g :O~EAAOSwOFRfx~tb). Wakes up, sleeps, light, thin.
This gets better and better. I'm looking forward to playing with it when it arrives. Thanks!

I've gone with a "cheap & cheerful" case from AliExpress (I know, I know). The last time I used them was when it was the "wild west" of shops on the internet and totally shonky (but I didn't know at the time) but it looks like it's gone legit. I hope.

I'll admit, I'm getting excited!

#10  skb 02-15-2021, 03:34 PM
Reader has arrived and I'm really happy with it. It's certainly better at showing lists than is my poor old Kobo. Deee-lighted!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register