Mobileread
Changing of the Guard
#11  Glsparks2 01-03-2020, 04:35 PM
SamCohen: I hope you are having a good new year! Can you please give an update on developer activities?

#12  samcohen 01-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Quote Glsparks2
SamCohen: I hope you are having a good new year! Can you please give an update on developer activities?
I have an IOS update on the way. I made a lot of mistakes my first time around and am determined to put out and update that the community deserves. I made a small preview video of the newest UI working on the app and am excited to get it out. We are also planning on putting out a proper iCloud integration which we are extremely excited about. This would eliminate the necessity for dropbox and other services since most people already use iCloud for everything else.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0KhCb8zWzXyo8CFSzKwOEr3Dg

I have not gotten around to working on the android apps yet due to my lack of resources. The company doesn't make enough money yet. Luckily my marketing efforts are starting to pay off and am getting a lot of new eyes on the apps that haven't seen it before. I have 10xd the organic traffic to the website so this should help a lot.

It's hard to see the work in the community's eyes because a lot of the value I'm building for the company hasn't been put into the product yet. It will trickle down.

For anyone who cares about marketing at all here is a look at the organic traffic work I have done. We are looking to build an even bigger community! The more people I bring in the more resources I can dedicate directly toward exactly what the community wants.

show attachment »

#13  Deskisamess 01-10-2020, 04:45 PM
For anyone who cares about marketing at all here is a look at the organic traffic work I have done. We are looking to build an even bigger community!
Organic traffic? How does that help those of us who have a broken useless app? Why build a bigger community, whatever that even means, when the existing community already paid for an app we can't really use?

Marketing sound bites mean nothing.

#14  samcohen 01-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Quote Deskisamess
Organic traffic? How does that help those of us who have a broken useless app? Why build a bigger community, whatever that even means, when the existing community already paid for an app we can't really use?

Marketing sound bites mean nothing.
It helps you because the more money that is coming in the more money I can allocate to development.

#15  BetterRed 01-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Quote samcohen
I have an IOS update on the way. I made a lot of mistakes my first time around and am determined to put out and update that the community deserves. I made a small preview video of the newest UI working on the app and am excited to get it out. We are also planning on putting out a proper iCloud integration which we are extremely excited about. This would eliminate the necessity for dropbox and other services since most people already use iCloud for everything else.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0KhCb8zWzXyo8CFSzKwOEr3Dg

I have not gotten around to working on the android apps yet due to my lack of resources. The company doesn't make enough money yet. Luckily my marketing efforts are starting to pay off and am getting a lot of new eyes on the apps that haven't seen it before. I have 10xd the organic traffic to the website so this should help a lot.

It's hard to see the work in the community's eyes because a lot of the value I'm building for the company hasn't been put into the product yet. It will trickle down.

For anyone who cares about marketing at all here is a look at the organic traffic work I have done. We are looking to build an even bigger community! The more people I bring in the more resources I can dedicate directly toward exactly what the community wants.
@samcohen - if you knew diddlysquat about marketing you would know the quoted post will likely go down like a dead balloon with a great many of your existing users.

You acquired a functioning operation with an existing customer base. Then, within a remarkably short period you managed to squander the considerable goodwill that the originator of Calibre Companion had established over almost a decade. Its reputation was created a) by building a superior product; b) using well established software QA processes, c) by responding to users functional needs in a timely manner, and d) by maintaining compliance with the latest versions of Google's Android and Apple's IOS. You seem to be running CC as if it were a startup - and without any funding.

By announcing you will be dropping support for Dropbox because "... most people already use iCloud for everything else" suggests to me that you're only really interested in the IOS incarnation of CC. I exchange data with many iPhone and iPad users - if they use iCloud at all its for 'personal' use. When they want to share most use Dropbox, a few even use OneDrive. Historically Apple software has been a PITA when used on non-Apple platforms; hence, many non-Apple users won't install Apple software on their computers or devices.

By your own admission you don't have any Android skills, I suspect it goes further than that - you don't have any interest in Android - period. Why don't you divest yourself of the Android app and let someone who has the skills and motivation take it forward. I have the impression that the Android and IOS apps don't have much in the way of a common code base, if that's true you wouldn't be losing much - except some ill-will.

FTR : I'm a disinterested bystander; I only keep texts I'm currently reading, and a few reference texts, on my devices; hence I don't need a device based library manager app.

BR

#16  stumped 01-11-2020, 01:44 AM
well put.
you said all i wanted to say - and politely too

I was wondering how on earth anyone would get their calibre library into icloud, and why ( since it presumably will not work there )

#17  samcohen 01-11-2020, 08:53 AM
I never said I was dropping support for dropbox.

Icloud just for IOS.

If people choose to leave that is their choice.

I will continue working. I have a lot of skin in the game.

I will always entertain offers to buy anything I own.

#18  pazos 01-11-2020, 10:19 AM
Quote samcohen

I will always entertain offers to buy anything I own.
Lol!. Considering that this opensource project -> https://github.com/sengjea/calibre-sync does 2/3 functions CC does (wireless device client and opds client), albeit very basically, and the 3rd function (cloud providers) is already broken as is, buying something from you sounds like a very bad deal.

I would suggest you to reduce your exposition surface in these forums. As you're outsourcing the talent since you don't code, test & debug, you can outsource forum support too.

#19  Incanus 01-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Quote pazos
I would suggest you to reduce your exposition surface in these forums. As you're outsourcing the talent since you don't code, test & debug, you can outsource forum support too.
Translation, Sam: if by your words you are making damage rather than controlling it, you have three options:

a) Mum's the word

b) Have better news before writing here again

c) Get some one else to do your user's community contact

Mind you: I do have the Android CC version and paid for it before you were invested in it's development; furthermore, I do have an invested interest in it's continued existance and functionality. There are other alternatives to CC (such as Librera) but they are not exactly as CC and certainly lack it's cloud integration.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

#20  stumped 01-17-2020, 10:47 AM
and if you have no intention of providing user support here, remove all pointers to this forum as the official place to come for help

why should us users have to keep doing part of your job for you ( answer new user queries after you have leave them unanswered) ,

be honest, do you deserve the endorsement of Kovid and Co - do they approve of how you now treat your customers here?

the play store listing still says "Calibre Companion (CC), recommended by calibre developers...

and the play store FAQ directs to
http://faq.calibrecompanion.co/index.php?action=artikel&cat=11&id=69&artlang=en
which says
The best way to ask us for help is to post a message on our support forum. if "us" refers to the current development team , that is simply untrue. no help is being provided.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register