Mobileread
[Android] CC Dropbox broken connection *WORKAROUND*
#11  chaley 03-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Quote stumped
So can we have support for pcloud in cc sometime soon, please.
pcloud supports OAUTH2, which means that in principle CC can support it. I will look further, probably after I deal with the Google Play "no longer can update CC" problem. Providing updates on my personal server doesn't scale at all.

#12  DoctorOhh 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Quote chaley
Then, in CC, I tapped the Google button when Dropbox asked me to authenticate and entered the new email address and password. Google asked me for permission to let dropbox see the account (contacts), then Dropbox signed me in.

EDIT: If you already use a gmail address for for Dropbox then you can use the "Use Google" button without changing anything. I chose not to do this because I keep separate email addresses for nearly everything.

I just assumed that my access to Dropbox via CC was dead or dying. I don't use it often. I just tried the connection and it appears to work fine, which most likely means I initially logged in via Google and the association is still set. Thanks for letting us know.

#13  DanielLauJJ 03-31-2019, 12:22 PM
Quote chaley
Thanks to user nqk we now have a workaround for the CC dropbox authentication problem. It is possible to login using Google (gmail) credentials. I tried it and it works.

What I did: I
  1. Created a new gmail account specifically for dropbox. I didn't want to mix my normal google stuff with dropbox stuff.
  2. Changed my email in dropbox to the new gmail address.
  3. Verified the email with dropbox (their automated process).
Then, in CC, I tapped the Google button when Dropbox asked me to authenticate and entered the new email address and password. Google asked me for permission to let dropbox see the account (contacts), then Dropbox signed me in.

EDIT: If you already use a gmail address for for Dropbox then you can use the "Use Google" button without changing anything. I chose not to do this because I keep separate email addresses for nearly everything.
Yes, the workaround works On my "Samsung Note 8", it is "Sign in to Google". For detailed steps and diagram, click this link: How to connect to Dropbox (Cloud)

#14  bookmonster 06-28-2019, 12:47 AM
I've seen some articles about upcoming changes Google is making regarding Gmail access:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/06/gmails-api-lockdown-will-kill-some-third-party-app-access-starting-july-15/

Do you think this will prevent us from using the current *workaround*?

#15  stumped 06-28-2019, 01:25 AM
Quote bookmonster
I've seen some articles about upcoming changes Google is making regarding Gmail access:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/06/gmails-api-lockdown-will-kill-some-third-party-app-access-starting-july-15/

that could interfere with the main calibre "send to" function ?
and its maybe why my Mailbird program had to re-authenticate all my gmail accounts, last time I rebooted. Still works with Gmail, for now, though

#16  chaley 06-28-2019, 05:37 AM
Quote bookmonster

I doubt it. When authenticating with Dropbox CC doesn't use anything from Google. Instead Dropbox contacts Google to verify the credentials then assuming they are correct gives CC access to Dropbox. I would be astonished if Google cut off Dropbox identity federation (OAUTH), or alternatively that Dropbox has not already done what they need to do.

It could be that CC's Google Drive connection will suffer, but Google hasn't said anything to us to that effect.

#17  bookmonster 06-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Quote chaley
I doubt it. When authenticating with Dropbox CC doesn't use anything from Google. Instead Dropbox contacts Google to verify the credentials then assuming they are correct gives CC access to Dropbox. I would be astonished if Google cut off Dropbox identity federation (OAUTH), or alternatively that Dropbox has not already done what they need to do.

It could be that CC's Google Drive connection will suffer, but Google hasn't said anything to us to that effect.
Awesome!

#18  kaufman 07-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Quote chaley
Dropbox changed their system in a way that broke CC authentication. There is no workaround. I must change CC to use a different authentication scheme, which will take me some time.
No pressure, just checking in.

Are you still thinking about implementing this update?

#19  chaley 07-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Quote kaufman
No pressure, just checking in.

Are you still thinking about implementing this update?
As I have passed the baton to Sam, he will now choose what gets done, and when.

#20  stumped 07-26-2019, 06:54 AM
help please. I am stuck on doing the workwround instructions to link CC to my dropbox on a new device
my dropbox does not use a Gmail address . and when I try to conenct , CCC hands at authenticating
that prompted me to come here & re-read how to do the workaround, but that seems to involce changing my dropbox email. Surely, if I have to change my dropbox email to a new gmail will that mess up how all my other existing devices log into dropbox ?
and also - don't want to shake any trees that will lose me my 3 device limit exemption for devices that are already logged in

i have about 15 devices logged into the same free dropbox, on a non gmail address. i have had this dropbox fro many years and have grown it to ~15Gb with referrals.

what are my options please with pros and cons
i could mirror my calibre library into G drive, but I really don't want to do that, as it has known issues. But is it safe, if I only put a backup of the local folder into G drive and only use it for CC to access when local PC is OFF ?
I could copy it into ploud but pcloud support is not here yet...

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register