Mobileread
O'Reilly Publishing is closing its online store
#1  joblack 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Things are changing at the O'Reilly online shop—as of today, we are no longer selling individual books and videos via shop.oreilly.com. Of course, we'll continue to publish books and videos on the topics you need to know, like data science, product management, and leadership—and you'll still be able to buy them at Amazon and other retailers.
http://shop.oreilly.com/

What's going on? I will stop using O'Reilly's affiliate stores for new books and e-books and boycott them.

If somebody want to tell O'Reilly what to think of this decision they can let them know at support@oreilly.com

#2  Cinisajoy 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM
I am confused. If they are going to stop selling books, you can't buy from them anyway. So how is your boycott going to work?

When I first saw your post, I thought of O'Reilly auto parts.

#3  joblack 06-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Quote Cinisajoy
So how is your boycott going to work?
They sell books and e-books through other retailers (e.g. Amazon). The problem is that at least the e-book format is not multi format and often includes DRM (e.g. Amazon Kindle format).

One attractive treat from shop.oreilly.com was that you could buy the e-book, get all three formats (epub, mobi and pdf) and had no DRM.

Now they are forcing you to use a subscription model like Safari where you have to be online or force you to use DRM enabled e-book stores like Amazon.

So if the customers just stop buying O'Reilly books/e-books altogether I would define that as a 'boycotting'.

#4  jhowell 06-28-2017, 07:36 PM
I misread the thread title as "closing up shop", meaning going out of business entirely. I'm glad that they will still be around even if they will no longer be selling directly.

#5  Cinisajoy 06-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Quote joblack
They sell books and e-books through other retailers (e.g. Amazon). The problem is that at least the e-book format is not multi format and often includes DRM (e.g. Amazon Kindle format).

One attractive treat from shop.oreilly.com was that you could buy the e-book, get all three formats (epub, mobi and pdf) and had no DRM.

Now they are forcing you to use a subscription model like Safari where you have to be online or force you to use DRM enabled e-book stores like Amazon.

So if the customers just stop buying O'Reilly books/e-books altogether I would define that as a 'boycotting'.
I see you edited your first post to make the boycott clear. Thank you. Now it makes sense.

#6  AnemicOak 06-28-2017, 09:40 PM
So I wonder if this is a case of them running their own shop hasn't been cost effective, as has proven to be the case for some other publishers, or if it's more of a case of them wanting to push more people towards Safari. Or maybe there's some other reason.

Looks like Amazon (where AFAIK their titles are DRM-free, or were anyway), iBooks and Google Play, but not Kobo, are the choices for buying now.

#7  tastyeng 06-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Quote AnemicOak
Looks like Amazon (where AFAIK their titles are DRM-free, or were anyway)
I don't know about currently, but in the past I've occasionally come across DRMed O'Reilly titles on Amazon, and on reporting them to O'Reilly they had the status fixed within a couple of days. Packt was similarly helpful when I reached out to them regarding the same issue with a few of their titles. Kindle format wouldn't be my first choice for those kinds of books, but I'm glad to see those who want it able to buy DRM-free on Amazon.

#8  HarryT 06-29-2017, 02:31 AM
Quote joblack
I fail to see any practical difference between buying a book DRM-free from Amazon and DRM-free direct from O'Reilly.

Would you like me to fix the error in the thread title, BTW?

#9  rkomar 06-29-2017, 02:40 AM
Quote HarryT
I fail to see any practical difference between buying a book DRM-free from Amazon and DRM-free direct from O'Reilly.

Would you like me to fix the error in the thread title, BTW?
The O'Reilly shop let you download multiple formats of the same book (PDF, EPUB,...), multiple times (including new copies with corrections). I don't know if Amazon allows the same, but my experience buying novels from Google Play is that they aren't as generous.

At least O'Reilly is still allowing access to those ebooks bought previously from them.

#10  HarryT 06-29-2017, 03:24 AM
Quote rkomar
The O'Reilly shop let you download multiple formats of the same book (PDF, EPUB,...), multiple times (including new copies with corrections). I don't know if Amazon allows the same, but my experience buying novels from Google Play is that they aren't as generous.

At least O'Reilly is still allowing access to those ebooks bought previously from them.
Well, Amazon obviously only sell their format, but format-shifting of DRM-free books is trivial, and if the book is revised, Amazon will give you the corrected version. I just don't see this is a big deal - O'Reilly have obviously decided that the volume of sale direct from them doesn't justify the expense of running their own bookstore, and if the revenue doesn't meet the costs, that's a sensible commercial decision.

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register