Mobileread
Bought a Nook Glowlight+ (BNRV510) from the thrift store for $5. How to bypass setup?
#11  Calenorn 09-08-2020, 12:07 PM
I think such a device could still have ebooks side-loaded to it and read on the device.

#12  MGlitch 09-08-2020, 03:47 PM
Quote issybird
Goodness, I hope not! An employee able to access a customer’s personal info at will, and then sharing said personal info with an anonymous caller? That is insanity.

Sometimes things aren’t worth the thought, much less the time and effort. The reader became a dead loss at some point and there’s a trivial sum involved for the purchaser. Move on.
Agreed on the not worth the thought point.

A bookseller with the serial number could at one point look up the history of the device. Which included at least the email used, and any issues logged with BN support. Though I think it was a system tool only available to managers. But again I rather doubt they’d give out that information.

#13  JSWolf 09-08-2020, 07:14 PM
Thing is, I don't think we should help anyone get a blacklisted Reader to be usable.

#14  issybird 09-08-2020, 08:22 PM
Quote JSWolf
Thing is, I don't think we should help anyone get a blacklisted Reader to be usable.
If you don’t want to help, don’t help. That’s easy. It’s best not to impugn others’ motives, though. There was a recent unfortunate thread where the seller of a blacklisted device was referred to as a thief, which was not the case. If you think somethng’s against MR rules, report it. Otherwise, let it go.

The reality in this situation of a $5 thrift purchase of an item where the original owner hasn’t a hope of getting it back and moved on long ago is that it’s a trivial issue no matter where you fall on it. And people in these situations who talk about getting the police involved or contacting the original owner through the storefront are, quite frankly, nuts. It’s worth no one’s while.

#15  JSWolf 09-09-2020, 05:14 AM
IMHO, the thing to do is contact the thrift store there it came from to request t be returned.

#16  issybird 09-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Quote JSWolf
IMHO, the thing to do is contact the thrift store there it came from to request t be returned.
Some things aren’t worth pursuing. MMV, obviously, but for $5 in a situation where caveat emptor would apply, the nuisance would be hard to justify. I also would expect an “all sales final” policy in that type of store, especially these days.

#17  TidusWulf 09-11-2020, 01:58 AM
Quote issybird
If you don’t want to help, don’t help. That’s easy. It’s best not to impugn others’ motives, though. There was a recent unfortunate thread where the seller of a blacklisted device was referred to as a thief, which was not the case. If you think somethng’s against MR rules, report it. Otherwise, let it go.

The reality in this situation of a $5 thrift purchase of an item where the original owner hasn’t a hope of getting it back and moved on long ago is that it’s a trivial issue no matter where you fall on it. And people in these situations who talk about getting the police involved or contacting the original owner through the storefront are, quite frankly, nuts. It’s worth no one’s while.
Indeed. The Nook had a completely dead battery when I grabbed it off the shelf so it was out of use for some time, I'm sure. Not to mention that it had a software update which, by the looks of things online, came out months ago. I had to plug it into a wall charger at the store and wait a good 20 minutes for it to boot up. Then, once I confirmed it worked I bought it. Who knew it would lead to this. :/

Quote Calenorn
I think such a device could still have ebooks side-loaded to it and read on the device.
It sure can. My earlier post goes into detail of rooting and installing KoReader on the Nook, which can read ebooks just fine. It's not as "elegant" as the built in Nook reader, but it does its job very well, and has tons of extra features that stock readers just don't have. Anyone with an android phone should download it and take a look at it, just to get a taste of what ereaders could do. Koreader works for all Nook models, as well as Kindles, Kobos, and more.

#18  ZodWallop 09-11-2020, 03:10 AM
Quote JSWolf
Buddy, it's a five year old device purchased for $5 from a thrift shop. The mafia isn't involved. Let it go.

#19  ZodWallop 09-11-2020, 03:15 AM
Quote TidusWulf
It sure can. My earlier post goes into detail of rooting and installing KoReader on the Nook, which can read ebooks just fine. It's not as "elegant" as the built in Nook reader, but it does its job very well, and has tons of extra features that stock readers just don't have.
I'm glad you got it working. I think the Glowlight Plus is a very nice reader (though the haptic Home button could drive you crazy).

I personally like the stock Nook software, but I've never used KOReader, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

#20  TidusWulf 09-18-2020, 02:18 AM
You're probably not missing anything that matters. As long as you can turn pages with one tap and change the font size/spacing/etc. who cares about the niche stuff. lol. The experience is the same. It's all just words on a page.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register