Mobileread
Question about multiple columns
#1  Rellwood 10-23-2020, 03:02 PM
Is it better to have more columns containing less info, or less columns containing more info?

Also, what things can I do to speed up my library? I have a lot of columns, a lot of tags, heirarchal tags, long text, and composite columns. I don't know how to weed out the tags - there are so many redundant tags that it would take forever to go through them all. I noticed that recently that updating metadata has taken a big hit in time, and I don't really know what to do to fix it. Also, copying to other libraries has drastically slowed down.

I am not running other programs at the same time, and I have a decent computer.

Any suggestions that indicate where Calibre can be "sped up" by the type of column or tag would be appreciated.

Finally, does "nulling out" columns make a difference? (Job Spy)

#2  ownedbycats 10-23-2020, 03:17 PM
Have you recently checked your hard drive health? When my Seagate drive started failing, one of the first signs of it was a massive slowdown when updating metadata in Calibre.

#3  Rellwood 10-23-2020, 03:21 PM
No, but I will check.

It shouldn't be bad because it's an SSD and about 1 1/2 years old.

#4  ownedbycats 10-23-2020, 03:29 PM
That's good. SSDs are less prone to failure—no mechanical parts to wear out or get bumped out of place. There is a limited number of writes for them but unless you're doing silly stuff like running defrags on it you should be good.

#5  theducks 10-23-2020, 06:02 PM
Windows Event viewer: logs: system: (look for red items).
A few years ago, I found on for the HD doing excessive retrys. Cloned that puppy and was good to go, without the hassle of a reinstall, because I caught it before it died for good.

#6  ownedbycats 10-23-2020, 06:07 PM
I was able to catch the Seagate through the logger too. The system had completely locked up for seemingly no reason. The event viewer showed that Windows had started doing a weekly scheduled defrag on that drive and never completed it. I took a guess that the defragger had come across some bad sectors, ran a disk test, and it came back as showing the drive was going bad.

#7  BetterRed 10-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Quote Rellwood
Also, what things can I do to speed up my library? I have a lot of columns, a lot of tags, heirarchal tags, long text, and composite columns.

<snip>
IIRC - composite columns that access file system attributes have a negative affect on calibre performance.

BR

#8  chaley 10-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Quote BetterRed
IIRC - composite columns that access file system attributes have a negative affect on calibre performance.

BR
Yes they do because they must access the actual files to get the data and that can take a while.

#9  Rellwood 10-23-2020, 11:17 PM
The only composite columns I have are the identifiers, and I used the format set up when making the columns.

And the hard drive is working fine. I uninstalled a few programs (including Google Drive) which I recently added. I still have to reboot the computer to see if it makes a difference.

I have been working on a new "list" library.

Amazon was able to provide me with list of EVERY book I ever purchased, deleted, rented, Kindle Unlimited, and Library Borrowed, along with each instance of renting, borrowing.

I am trying to create the "perfect" library with all those correct dates and sources, then I will import a catalog into my current library to update those.

It's taken a minute.

#10  ownedbycats 10-23-2020, 11:29 PM
If you haven't recently run a Library -> Library Maintenance -> Check Library to vacuum the database, I recommend doing so.

Something else I also found helped once when my Calibre was being lagtastic:

Library -> Library Maintenance -> Restore Database. Do a backup first!

This'll essentially wipe your metadata.db and rebuild everything from the OPF files. I'm not sure why it helped - could be there was some problem in the database file that Check Library didn't catch.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register