Mobileread
Calibre Manual PDF
#1  Rellwood 10-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Does it make a difference in the manual if I am not updating to 5.0 yet?

I wanted to know if the information regarding tweaks and settings would be different than the previous ones.

Also, there is nothing about creating columns, and the differences between the different types.

I am trying to figure out the differences betwen the long text columns. I wanted to know what the differences between plain text, plain text using markdown, and html text are, and what types of data should go into each, or which column be best to hold what kind of data?

Long story short, I am trying to make my Calibre run a bit quicker. I have a lot of those text boxes, for different reasons, and wanted to know if one type of text would be better than another.

#2  kovidgoyal 10-11-2020, 11:17 PM
The content of the manual changes potentially with every release, however rarely are there large changes.

And no column types dont matter in general, columns built from other columns are slow, otherwise the column type matters only in very specific circumstances.

#3  compurandom 10-12-2020, 09:26 AM
Quote Rellwood
Does it make a difference in the manual if I am not updating to 5.0 yet?
Mostly, only for new features. So there may be things in the manual you stumble upon that will be missing if you have an older version. But calibre has so many features that most of what is in the new manual works in the old versions.

I am trying to figure out the differences between the long text columns.
Within "long text", the differences are just how it is formatted when it is displayed and edited. As Kovid says, calculated columns are slower, but otherwise it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

#4  Rellwood 10-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Thanks. I do have a lot of identifier columns...

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register