Mobileread
I want to buy an e-reader to convert into a weather display
#1  Albyr 10-11-2020, 11:31 AM
Happy to buy something secondhand. Is there a particular e-reader that would be well-suited to this project? It seems like maybe Kindles don't work as well for this as they used to?

#2  LDB 10-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Why not just buy an actual weather device?

#3  hobnail 10-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Quote Albyr
Happy to buy something secondhand. Is there a particular e-reader that would be well-suited to this project? It seems like maybe Kindles don't work as well for this as they used to?
I would think that a kindle is as good as any other for something like this. I once did a search and there are many tutorials on how to use an eink display with a raspberry pi.

There's a recent thread here about someone's kindle having a dodgy display that's faded on the edges so you could investigate that and figure out which models to avoid. I have an ancient Kindle Touch that still has an excellent display.

#4  Albyr 10-12-2020, 03:59 PM
Quote LDB
Why not just buy an actual weather device?
Because "actual weather devices" don't have eInk screens.

#5  JSWolf 10-12-2020, 04:04 PM
I would think a Kobo is a lot better then a Kindle because the Kobo is a lot less locked down and there is code you can look at to see how to code for Kobo.

#6  Quoth 10-13-2020, 02:00 PM
Quote Albyr
Because "actual weather devices" don't have eInk screens.
But actual eink gadgets have no sensors. I have 3 different mono LCD "weather" + clock devices. Perfectly readable without backlight and run on a CR2032 cell.

It's not like a book where you are reading for hours.

#7  james_ 10-18-2020, 09:45 AM
You could try a Nook Simple Touch because they are old tech, so available for next to nothing, you can readily root them to run your software ... and the serial port is well documented so you can attach sensors. See one I've converted into a flight computer by attaching a GPS .. https://vimeo.com/67164582 for an ancient video of it in action. Good luck!

Obviously the hardware hacking requires some skill in soldering (not much, I'm useless!) but you may not need that if you just want to run an android weather app permanently on the device.

Otherwise, if you're in Europe just buy a device with Meteotime transmission receiving capability. Good weather forecast no matter where you are, and no internet connection required.

#8  Albyr 10-18-2020, 11:56 AM
Quote Quoth
But actual eink gadgets have no sensors. I have 3 different mono LCD "weather" + clock devices. Perfectly readable without backlight and run on a CR2032 cell.

It's not like a book where you are reading for hours.
I want something that pulls information from the internet. I have specific requirements re: lighting, so LCD no good.

#9  baljo 10-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Quote Albyr
I want something that pulls information from the internet. I have specific requirements re: lighting, so LCD no good.
Don't know if this fits your requirements and budget, basically you need to buy a Waveshare e-ink display and a rPi, I've been using this myself for a year. Unless you are satisfied with the software available from the github-link, you obviously need to develop your own software, e.g. in Python. There are probably other solutions available as well for this particular e-ink display.

#10  PeterT 10-18-2020, 12:38 PM
I know it's out of date but see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194376

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register