Mobileread
Amazon objecting to page breaks
#1  exaltedwombat 01-11-2020, 09:17 AM
A client just forwarded this to me. Haven't seen anything like this before. Book was made in Sigil, converted to mobi in Kindle Previewer 3.

I suspect it was because I'd used some section headings with a distinctive css style but not tagged them as a header style.

Alright, so I won't do that in future. But this book had been in the Kindle store for a year. Are Amazon tightening up their standards retrospectively?
Capture 2 - Kindle book issues.PNG 

#2  Notjohn 01-11-2020, 05:01 PM
>I suspect it was because I'd used some section headings with a distinctive css style but not tagged them as a header style.

So the heading is a paragraph style? I do that regularly, including the title page, with a large, medium, and small class for title, sub-title, and author/publisher respectively. They don't cause a page break. I also us the medium class occasionally (it's the exact equivalent of a chapter title) when I have two major subjects within a single chapter/file.

#3  exaltedwombat 01-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The headings didn't cause the page breaks. I chose to add a page break before some of the headings.

#4  Hitch 01-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Quote exaltedwombat

Alright, so I won't do that in future. But this book had been in the Kindle store for a year. Are Amazon tightening up their standards retrospectively?
YES. I have a book in right now--DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!--that has been KQN'ed for, wait for it, ONE, repeat, ONE expired link.

ONE EXPIRED LINK. ONE!

I have another customer with 253 images in his non-fic book (a war memoir), and he's now received KQNs tht his images don't meet the "guidelines" for "Great for Kindle" because they're not the specified GFK sizes, being 1200px wide, 600px wide, 300px wide, etc. "at 300DPI." (Yeah, right, because DPI makes SO much sense when you're matching pixel height and width calculations, right?)

We still don't know if their issue is that the images aren't quite the "right size" (many of the images are 60+ years old, you understand) or that we coded them appropriately to their native size and rez, like 33% wide or 64% wide or what-have-you. We've been unable to get clarification, because their tech team seems unable to tell us what the hell the KQN MEANS.

Both of these, this week.

Suffice to say, I'm raising my file-modification and fixing prices and battening down the hatches. We've done >5,000 eBooks, at least half of which are laden with links and images. RETROACTIVE requirements. I'm sitting here with my hair on fire over it. I mean...I can't fathom what's going to happen as this pervades the self-pubbing universe of existing ebooks.

I mean, here's a question--will they ask print publishers to go back and redo the book, because their links are expired?????????

Mother of God.

Hitch

#5  exaltedwombat 01-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Should the client simply have clicked all the 'not an issue' boxes?

#6  Hitch 01-15-2020, 04:10 PM
Quote exaltedwombat
Should the client simply have clicked all the 'not an issue' boxes?
For the "Great on Kindle" thing, that was my argument.

His argument back to me was that he makes most of his money in KU reads. He's afraid--and it's hard for me to say "oh, no, that won't happen" that his ability to promote the book in AMS and some of the other promo programs, which have very, very specific requirements, will be lost if he doesn't comply and the book no longer qualifies for "Great on Kindle."

The link thing? That wasn't OPTIONAL, btw. They didn't give her an option to say can't/won't.

Hitch

#7  JSWolf 01-15-2020, 05:10 PM
And yet how many people actually click the links in an eBook on an eInk Kindle? It's not a nice experience plus you have to have WiFi on.

#8  Hitch 01-15-2020, 05:42 PM
Quote JSWolf
And yet how many people actually click the links in an eBook on an eInk Kindle? It's not a nice experience plus you have to have WiFi on.
Wolfie, dear:

Can we not forget that there are millions of readers out there that have Fires, smartphones, etc.? I am the first, truly, to agree that the usefulness of links in eInks is limited, but I feel compelled to point out that they--links--are not without some purpose and use. Righty-o?

Hitch

#9  Notjohn 01-17-2020, 11:15 AM
>Suffice to say, I'm raising my file-modification

I first read that as "file-medication"....

>ONE EXPIRED LINK. ONE!

I wonder when they'll get around to my books?

#10  Hitch 01-17-2020, 01:40 PM
Quote Notjohn
>Suffice to say, I'm raising my file-modification

I first read that as "file-medication"....

>ONE EXPIRED LINK. ONE!

I wonder when they'll get around to my books?
I dunno, but all ya'lls are going to have to become butt-buddies with Archive.it.

Hitch

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register