Mobileread
The 2020 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread
#1  pdurrant 12-06-2019, 03:45 AM
2020 Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

Welcome to our 11th Annual Reading Challenge!

Maybe you would like to read a certain number of pages this year, finish a certain number of books, concentrate on a specific genre or deplete your ever-growing TBR list. Maybe you're looking for ideas or you just want to see how far you can go…

This is the thread where we can share our personal goals and strategies or ask for suggestions and support. New ideas are encouraged and always welcomed.

The Annual Reading Challenge is neither a race, contest, nor an “exclusive club”, anyone can join! This is just a fun activity that some of us have enjoyed doing in the past. Many of us have found reading challenges to be an entertaining way to set goals for ourselves, get ideas for books, and see what others are reading.

You are welcome to keep track of the books you have read (or another goal) in the List Thread, here:

2020 Annual Reading Challenge List Thread

Plus, if you would like to discuss a particular book, please participate in the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread and share your thoughts about the book with others

#2  DrNefario 12-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Yes, managed to get on page 1 of the list thread again. I don't know why that should matter. Maybe a bit less loading when I go to add my books.

I failed most of my targets in 2019. I overdid it on the freebies, which had knock-on effects on the other targets. I think I'm going to base 2020's goals on the number of books I buy (eg. read 2 x purchases).

#3  Luffy 12-06-2019, 08:54 AM
I don't know, I think I have Goodreads fatigue. I've been coming to mobileread a lot, though in my usual nonparticipating self. I think I should've stayed committed to this aspect of mobileread. Now I have to relearn all of the stuff I've forgotten. I'm planning on putting a 2020 hyperlink in my signature...

#4  Dazrin 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM
Only reading 1000+ pages books! Wow, that would be very challenging for me. I read a few (14 in 9 years) but only reading long books like that would not work for me. I need a break.

#5  Luffy 12-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Quote Dazrin
Only reading 1000+ pages books! Wow, that would be very challenging for me. I read a few (14 in 9 years) but only reading long books like that would not work for me. I need a break.
I will probably find it unwieldy but I hope the books I choose have enough quality to carry me through. I do intend to read a couple of omnibuses, and I don't know if that is cheating or not.

#6  issybird 12-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Quote Luffy
I will probably find it unwieldy but I hope the books I choose have enough quality to carry me through. I do intend to read a couple of omnibuses, and I don't know if that is cheating or not.
Your challenge, your call.

(I wouldn't consider it cheating myself.)

#7  Gibbo 12-06-2019, 02:05 PM
Quote Luffy
I do intend to read a couple of omnibuses, and I don't know if that is cheating or not.
You mean counting it as one book or as multiple books?.

#8  Tarana 12-06-2019, 02:20 PM
I have only 2 goals this year. One is to read at least 3,000 pages per month and the other is to read at least 25 literary magazines I already have (Lightspeed, Nightmare, etc). Avoiding the total books read this year as I anticipate starting some series with very long books (Peter Hamilton-Void series, Robert Jordon - Wheel of Time (lend from someone else), Sanderson - I have 2 series) as well as completing all the rest of the Shannara series before the final book comes out in 2020).

FWIW, I count Omnibus' as separate books. They are collected in an omnibus for convenience, but remain full, separate books.

#9  Byrdie 12-06-2019, 04:53 PM
I have 1 book left to go on the 2019 challenge, to date I'm 4 books ahead of schedule. For 2020 I think I'm going to concentrate on the books I already have instead of going "oooh! shiny!" every time something new hits the market and making my TBR pile even bigger than it already is. Undecided on my other goals yet but since I struggle with non-fiction now that I'm neither in school nor at work I may see if I can improve there too.

#10  Luffy 12-07-2019, 02:23 AM
Quote Gibbo
You mean counting it as one book or as multiple books?.
As one book, of course.

Next »  Last »  (1/17)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register