Mobileread
Other Fiction Dickens, Charles: Bleak House (Illustrated). v7. 21 Apr 2011
#11  Turtle Woman 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Bleak House is my favorite Dickens as well! I can't wait to download it and see how the illustrations look! And yes, I think the illustrations add significantly.

Thank you!

#12  tsgreer 03-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey I can't wait to read this when I get the time. I like the fact that you keep in the illustrations as well. Keep up the good work. This is really awesome!

#13  Anais9000 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I'm impressed by what you've done so far -- but because Book Designer won't let us load an .lrf file directly, it's hard to learn how you got effects like the footers, etc. Would it be possible for you to upload the source in htm or another readable format so we can follow in your footsteps!?

#14  KlondikeGeoff 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Quote HarryT
Can I just ask, by the way - do people think that the illustrations "add value" to books like this over the plain PG versions?
Oh, absolutely! Really appreciate them.

Hey, Harry,as long as you have so much time, how about getting us the compete Encyclopedia Britannica.

#15  ath 03-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Quote HarryT
The main "problem" with Dickens, to my mind, is that teenagers are force-fed his books in school, and that puts them off him for life. He's very much an "adult" author and you need to be an adult reader to appreciate his biting wit and social comment.
His novels aren't exactly the right place to find that, though. He did write a number of shorter essays, published as 'The Uncommercial Traveller', which tend to be much better reads. Unfortunately they start off with Dickens at his most pathetical over the shipwreck of 'The Royal Charter'. The eighth story -- The Cargo of the Tasmania, I think -- is a must-read: it's on the maltreatment of soldiers who were (at first at least) considered to be deserters and shipped to England. No pathos here, only sharp satire.

#16  HarryT 03-30-2007, 02:20 AM
Quote Anais9000
Thanks for sharing this. I'm impressed by what you've done so far -- but because Book Designer won't let us load an .lrf file directly, it's hard to learn how you got effects like the footers, etc. Would it be possible for you to upload the source in htm or another readable format so we can follow in your footsteps!?
To do "footers", all you have to do is go to the "Edit" menu and select "Notes and Links" (there's a toolbar button for it, too). You'll see a dialog box with two columns - "All notes" on the left, and "Links of chosen note" on the right.

Select the text that you want to jump to and click the "Add" button under the left-hand column. A new "note" will appear in that column. Select it. Now, everywhere that you want to "link" to that text, highlight the "link" text, and click the "Add" button under the "Links of chosen note" column on the right.

That's all there is to it. Now, in BD, when you hover the mouse over the "link", a pop-up window should appear and show you the "note" that's being linked to. On the Reader itself, both the "Link" and the "Note" appear as "hyperlinks", pointing at each other.

You can use this same method to create tables of contents, etc - it's a general "hyperlink" facility. Very useful indeed!

Hope that helps! Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else you'd like explained.

#17  HarryT 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I've just uploaded v2 of the book. The file, and a description of the changes, are in the first message in the thread.

#18  Anais9000 04-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the help, Harry. I'm having some trouble inserting page breaks. Using the "insert page break after selection" button on the Corrector window inserts a line, but the line doesn't render as a page break when the file is converted to a Sony Reader file. I've also tried copying formatting from chapter end/chapter start where page breaks actually do appear, and inserting this in the HTML Fragment Editor -- but only the text gets copied, not the page break. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

#19  HarryT 04-05-2007, 03:06 AM
When you click the "Make Sony Reader e-Book" button, you get a dialog with three tabs. Go to the "Options" tab and, at the right side, check the "User page breaks" button. Your "manual" page breaks will now appear in the LRF file.

#20  Anais9000 04-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks again. I notice your books have the same problem I had with the underline of the table of contents hanging out one extra place to the left. I managed to solve that by inserting a single nbsp between the DIV and A tags:
[DIV align=left] ADD ampersandNBSP; HERE
[A href="file:///C:whatever#bdn__1"]I.ChapterOne[/A]

If the chapter titles are guaranteed short enough not to break at the largest size, you can also change the spaces to no-break-spaces so that the whole chapter title gets underlined, and also has the "highlight on mouseover" effect.

Now the only thing on my wishlist is to be able to remove the underline altogether from the TOC, like most of the TOCs in the commercial Sony ebooks, and maybe be able to format them using FONT tags etc. Anybody have ideas?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register