Mobileread
Do you need to have pbooks in your home?
#11  Nausicaa 09-16-2019, 02:30 PM
I live in Chicago and would be pleased to give you many books I don't read anymore

#12  Paperbackstash 09-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Yes, my home is filled with books. I still read books, but I also love collections and think they make cozy decoration.

#13  Uncle Robin 09-16-2019, 09:04 PM
No. Our flat is only 65m2, so the few bookshelves we have are in the garage. The few dead-tree books I have in the house are all dictionaries in various languages and other language learning reference works. All are in my workstation's "cupboards", easily accessible but out of sight. Our flat's living area is effectively book-free, although our Kobos are normally lying around visible.

#14  Dr. Drib 09-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Paperbacks, no.

Hardback First Editions of favorite writers: Absolutely!

#15  Tarana 09-16-2019, 09:09 PM
We have no novels any longer, but still have cookbooks and craftbooks. I also kept books like Garfield, Far Side, etc. that are not nearly as fun to read on a tablet or ereader than in book form. Neither myself nor my brother can read standard paper stuff due to vision problems, but even my Mom who has no problems chose to eliminate the paperbacks. Now and then I find one while emptying yet another box from the attic, and it goes to one of those Little Red Libraries.

FWIW, my sister and late BIL had a lake place used for guests. She always kept it stocked with 10-12 books and 30 VHS tapes. The books were all different genres. My late BIL's family didn't read at all, but many of his friends did and appreciated them on days they couldn't fish. Once TV towers switched from analog to digital, they no longer had service.

#16  pwalker8 09-16-2019, 09:23 PM
Like many here, I also have a number of bookcases filled with books (hardbacks downstairs, paperbacks upstairs). I mean, one has to have something in the bookcases to keep the cats from knocking them over!

I also have a number of bookcases filled with my DVD collection, but those get used on a regular basis.

#17  Uncle Robin 09-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Quote pwalker8
I also have a number of bookcases filled with my DVD collection, but those get used on a regular basis.
In a curious coincidence, I discovered last night that my PC's DVD/BR drive is dead, so now I have to find a way to digitise THAT sizable set of physical media, which, like yours is in a bookcase.

#18  theducks 09-17-2019, 07:09 AM
Quote Uncle Robin
In a curious coincidence, I discovered last night that my PC's DVD/BR drive is dead, so now I have to find a way to digitise THAT sizable set of physical media, which, like yours is in a bookcase.
From the person who just added 5 (to the existing 3) Ikea CD/DVD shelf units
Unless you have a Laptop (or your desktop had an very low profile DVD drawer type), these are fairly cheap and easy to swap out. Specially if matching the case color is not an issue.
You also have the USB External (with power brick: My recommendation) DVD/BR . It gets even cheaper if you don't need BluRay function

#19  Uncle Robin 09-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Quote theducks
From the person who just added 5 (to the existing 3) Ikea CD/DVD shelf units
Unless you have a Laptop (or your desktop had an very low profile DVD drawer type), these are fairly cheap and easy to swap out. Specially if matching the case color is not an issue.
You also have the USB External (with power brick: My recommendation) DVD/BR . It gets even cheaper if you don't need BluRay function
Thanks. I think I might go external, for convenience sake

#20  Barbara1955 09-17-2019, 07:34 AM
I don't need no stinking Dust Collectors! Nope No books in this house. Last move we made was SOOOO Easy!

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/8)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register