Mobileread
Hisense A6
#11  pata 02-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Quote Question Mark
However, I have a few paid-for apps that I would really like to have installed and so I opted for the A2 Pro instead...
It's possible to download paid-for apps through Yalp store. I've now installed Calibre Companion and the paid versions for Moon+Reader and Bookari. I created a throwaway account and used Play Store gift cards but you can sign in with your regular Google account if you don't mind the risk. In-app purchases don't work though

#12  Question Mark 02-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Quote pata
It's possible to download paid-for apps through Yalp store. I've now installed Calibre Companion and the paid versions for Moon+Reader and Bookari. I created a throwaway account and used Play Store gift cards but you can sign in with your regular Google account if you don't mind the risk. In-app purchases don't work though
Thanks for the info. Good to know going forward. However, my A2 Pro is currently somewhere in-transit. Probably about a week or two yet until it arrives. Can hardly wait.

#13  underscore 02-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Quote pata
Although Google Play doesn't work
i really don't understand those niche vendors like Yotaphone and Hisense trying to discourage normal people this boring way of alternative apps and hacks.
You do one phone right, you cripple the model after.

#14  eldon 02-27-2019, 03:59 PM
Question Mark - If you have any questions about the hisense a2 pro maybe I can help. I have one two and love it. I will probably be getting the A6 when the price comes down to 200USD in a year or two and when Google Play is added. The A2 Pro was about double the current 200~ price a year or so ago on aliexpress.

underscore - I do not think that Hisense is trying to discourage normal people. Google and their services are not allowed in China so Hisense cannot just add Google Play to the phone. Hisense is a Chinese company that markets this phone to the Chinese market. If they sold the device in other countries I bet that they would get approval and give Google their cut so that Google Play would be installed on the phone out of the box.

#15  Question Mark 02-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Quote eldon
Question Mark - If you have any questions about the hisense a2 pro maybe I can help. I have one two and love it.
Thanks. Much appreciated. According to the tracking, my A2 Pro finally seems to be moving again. It seemed to have been stalled in China for about a week. I imagine there was quite a backload of parcels waiting to be shipped out as much of the country tends to shut down over the Chinese New Year.

Quote eldon
I will probably be getting the A6 when the price comes down to 200USD in a year or two and when Google Play is added. The A2 Pro was about double the current 200~ price a year or so ago on aliexpress.
Yup. That's my plan as well. Unless, of course, somebody else comes out with a dedicated e-ink phone.

Quote eldon
underscore - I do not think that Hisense is trying to discourage normal people. Google and their services are not allowed in China so Hisense cannot just add Google Play to the phone. Hisense is a Chinese company that markets this phone to the Chinese market.
I suspect that they were probably rushing a bit to bring the A6 to the market before potential customers opted for a Yotaphone 3 instead. As you say, Google Play might not be a huge concern for its domestic market. However, from what I have read, they will eventually be adding Google Play to the A6.

#16  henry45 03-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Nice to hear :-)

#17  Amnesiac 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM
I've read this thread and others, and decided for my purposes I'd risk getting an A6 without the Google framework.

It arrived over the weekend - and I thought I'd give my first impressions based on what I bought it for: I'm evaluating it as a replacement for my Yota2, I may still go the Yota3(+) route but plan to see if I can live with the phone without Gapps. Having had an e-ink screen on my phone I don't see how I'd live without one now.

So far it's not too bad. Mine's updated to 8.1. I like having 128GB to use and I've a 128GB card in the second slot which gives plenty of storage options (the one real downside to the Yota2 for me was not having a memory slot - ymmv).

I've removed a lot of the Chinese apps and installed F-Droid and Aurora stores but side loaded the apps I wanted to kick off with on the SD card. Some apps don't work, because the Google framework isn't there, others pop a warning up and carry on just fine. Some don't complain at all.

The built-in apps despite being in English do still show some Chinese (eg contacts have some Chinese information in them, and all the ring tones have Chinese names) but since it's a Chinese phone for the Chinese market that's perfectly natural. I'm just lucky that I'm an English speaker and the other language on the phone is English.

I'm not sure if some of the additions/changes to apps are because it's running a HiSense-d Android implementation or the same things show up in base 8.1 (I have nothing else running 8.1 to compare it with).

The email and messaging apps are integrated into the notifications on the e-ink screen, more-so than the Yota2. So where as I can replace the stock SMS app and the notification on Yota2 and the e-ink respects the default app and launches it... on the A6 it doesn't and launches the built-in app. I'll play more when I've had the phone for more than a few hours and am happy making back-ups etc.

The widgets on the back screen are not as polished as the Yota2 ones but the screen is oh so much better (and bigger) Flipping to run the main interface on the back works great, and the notification panels can directly launch pretty much any app onto the screen.

I put some other fonts onto the device which makes it more readable for me, plus the improved resolution and size makes reading even easier than on my older device. Having the backlight is something I expect I'll make limited use of (I tend to keep a 6" ereader by the bed) but handy to have on trips where all I have to do is take the one phone and have a proper illuminated eink screen, but it works well and offers a range of brightness (white only!).

I've side loaded a registered Nova launcher (I do that because I have devices from different mfgs and I like the launcher working how I am used to when I swap devices) and it updated fine using Aurora; so for now I'm pretty happy with the device day to day.

So far I've just put FBReader on it; my reading needs are simple and I doubt I'll switch as it works fine for my use. I simply launch it from the e-ink screen and it's there. I can use the volume keys to page so I'm happy. One downside is that the phone is physically quite big, I can just about cope with using it one handed, my wife has to use it with two hands. So will see how it goes as a reading device on the tube (a primary use for me if I don't have my e-reader with me).

Other major downside for me is that like most modern Android devices it doesn't play nice with OSX. Macs don't (for some reason known only to Apple) properly support the MTP protocol and so unlike the phone it's replacing it doesn't simply plug-in and get recognised by Calibre. As I use a Mac as my primary machine, sadly I can't us Calibre as easily as I am used to. I'll look into alternatives to plugging my phone in and syncing... I probably ought to go wireless I suppose!

So far I've found replacements to all but one of my day-to-day apps that either don't work on 8.1 or require Google and so I'm certainly keeping the phone as my day-to-day.

If the International ROM arrives (if) I'll probably give that a go, if flashing is possible, which I hope it will be.
I looked at the bootloader, which is in Chinese (so I can't read it) but it has two understandable bits of English "update.zip" and "SD" displayed in the bootloader message, so clearly it's possible to put an update.zip on the SD card and load from there. I also noticed in the Developer Options it's possible to unlock the bootloader, so I'm expecting something to be possible root-wise with this device in the future.

#18  cartz 05-08-2019, 06:24 AM
There is still no news I can find of Google Play coming to the A6. I’m wondering if maybe I’ll get one anyway. However I’m concerned about navigation - can someone with an A6 please advise of their experiences with navigation apps that work on the A6 given there is no Google Maps.

#19  Question Mark 05-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Quote cartz
There is still no news I can find of Google Play coming to the A6.
Google Play works fine on my A2 Pro so you would think that they could get it working on the A6. I wonder what the issue is.

I'm hoping that they will eventually get Google Play working on it and drop the price by about half. Then I would certainly buy it. I really miss not having a frontlight on the eink side of my A2 Pro. Other than that, am loving the A2 Pro.

#20  Amnesiac 05-13-2019, 06:42 PM
Quote Question Mark
Google Play works fine on my A2 Pro so you would think that they could get it working on the A6. I wonder what the issue is.
The issue is it's a phone for the Chinese market, where there is no reason to pay to be Google certified when none of the Google cruft installed on the phone would be of any use at all. In short there is no issue at all.

I'm hoping that they will eventually get Google Play working on it and drop the price by about half. Then I would certainly buy it. I really miss not having a frontlight on the eink side of my A2 Pro. Other than that, am loving the A2 Pro.
I hope they give the phone away - but until the BOM comes down the phone is reasonably competitively priced for what it is. Certainly for me an A2 would be a retrograde step from the Yota2s I have.
International firmware or an international version would be nice for those locked into the Google ecosystem but the investment would have to be worth it in potential sales; once assumes currently it's not.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register