Mobileread
Bookari Help
#11  Purple Lady 10-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Quote peaceridge
Um, anyone know a way to backup Bookari app so I can reinstall if I don't like the new one? Or somewhere that has the old versions to download? Too many apps, I've paid for, update and make them unusable to me (Copilot is one). I'd hate to lose Bookari.
I use Apk Extractor by dev Meher. You can even backup and add to Dropbox in one step.

#12  stumped 10-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Quote peaceridge
Thanks so much! Saving as an .apk file is what I needed to find.
backup and restore apps are easy to find, in google store, but figuring out how they work with google licences and paid apps is harder.

for sure, you cannot backup a paid apk just move it to another device and expect it to work. google puts the licences somewhere that the backups don't have access to

you may be able to backup, delete, and restore all on one device, without losing the licence, that is not something I have tested. if that is not possible then backup/restore is not really worth having!

free apps from google store will backup and move, no issues

paid apps from amazon store will backup , move and work on another device IF it is registered to the same amazon account

you can also set any app to "do not update" so that play store does nto push any unwanted changes. i think you do that by finding the app in the store, using the store app device you want to freeze it on, then it is a top right menu setting. it works on a per device level i think so you can freeze an app on device A, yet allow updates on device B.

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-disable-auto-intall-of-google-play-apps

some backup utilities can be set to autobackup specific apps before each update and to keep a set number of earlier versions. so if you use something with a history of pushing bugged updates: e.g. plex, bookari... that may be useful.

finding a safe site for old versions is tricky. there are some that claim to have safe versions of free apps so e.g. you want an old version of netflix you can go there. I think apkmirror is one such.

But there are some very dodgy sites that would love to deliver viruses, trojans etc to folks looking for "cracked" apps.
as a general rule, any "FREE" apk for a paid app is most likely infected

#13  peaceridge 10-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Quote Purple Lady
I use Apk Extractor by dev Meher. You can even backup and add to Dropbox in one step.
Thanks, but it is another app that my LG android 6 can't run. I get the error "screen overlay detected" and nothing I do will make that go away and let the app run - btw, screen overlay is deactivated.

#14  Purple Lady 10-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Quote peaceridge
Thanks, but it is another app that my LG android 6 can't run. I get the error "screen overlay detected" and nothing I do will make that go away and let the app run - btw, screen overlay is deactivated.
What version did you use? My old tablet was android 6 and it ran fine. I'll try to update the app later on today and see if it works. The version on there was 4.0.5 and the latest version is 4.2.9.

#15  peaceridge 10-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Quote Purple Lady
What version did you use? My old tablet was android 6 and it ran fine. I'll try to update the app later on today and see if it works. The version on there was 4.0.5 and the latest version is 4.2.9.
I finally got it to work after lots of help from the internet and messing around with settings on the LG. Evidently it is a problem with Android 6. So glad to get it to work and to have a backup program! Thanks for the help.

#16  Purple Lady 10-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Quote peaceridge
I finally got it to work after lots of help from the internet and messing around with settings on the LG. Evidently it is a problem with Android 6. So glad to get it to work and to have a backup program! Thanks for the help.
What settings did you have to use? I just updated the app on my Huawei mediapad m3 and it worked fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still worked. I don't have screen overlay set for apk extractor, but I got the message screen overlay detected from two other apps. Those two apps do have screen overlay set to on.

#17  peaceridge 10-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Quote Purple Lady
What settings did you have to use? I just updated the app on my Huawei mediapad m3 and it worked fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still worked. I don't have screen overlay set for apk extractor, but I got the message screen overlay detected from two other apps. Those two apps do have screen overlay set to on.
What finally worked on Android 6.0
go to settings
go to application manager
go to 3 dots in upper right
go to configure apps
go to draw over other apps in the list
in the box that probably says Enabled, click to go to apps with permission
turn them all off

Some of the websites said to turn them off in the Enabled, but mine were greyed out, but apps with permission let me turn them off.

Hope this helps.

#18  Purple Lady 10-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Quote peaceridge
What finally worked on Android 6.0
go to settings
go to application manager
go to 3 dots in upper right
go to configure apps
go to draw over other apps in the list
in the box that probably says Enabled, click to go to apps with permission
turn them all off

Some of the websites said to turn them off in the Enabled, but mine were greyed out, but apps with permission let me turn them off.

Hope this helps.
Some of your apps that use draw over other apps may not work correctly with that turned off. I use screendim full and it doesn't work properly with that setting turned off. But like I said before apk extractor works for me even with apps set to draw over other apps. It just flashes a quick message that other apps have that permission.

#19  peaceridge 10-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Quote Purple Lady
Some of your apps that use draw over other apps may not work correctly with that turned off. I use screendim full and it doesn't work properly with that setting turned off. But like I said before apk extractor works for me even with apps set to draw over other apps. It just flashes a quick message that other apps have that permission.
So far, so good on the other apps. Since this is my reader tablet, I seldom use anything but Calibre Companion and reader apps - mainly Bookari and Moon+ if Bookari can't read a book. Probably would be more dangerous turning them off on my phone.

#20  tomx2 09-11-2019, 05:06 PM
Bookari question:
Where are the annotations kept/stored? And how does one back them up (offline)?

Thanks Tom

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register