Mobileread
LibriVox books at Audible
#11  AnemicOak 04-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Here's Audible's policy for Public Domain in conjunction with ACX. No way of know what/if the policy is when it comes to more traditional publishers.
Can I upload audio for a book that is Public Domain, or out of copyright?

Books that fall under Public Domain do not typically make good candidates for audiobooks; however, the only time we make an exception for Public Domain works is if your titles have met the following conditions:

In order to claim the rights to a public domain work, you must first make sure that it is, indeed, in the public domain.

You must have created your own version of the title by adding your own original content to it (i.e.; a historical introduction or fictionalized content).

You must have put your original version up for sale on Amazon.com in the books section. Please do not claim the rights to any other person’s public domain product.

You must have hired a narrator outside of ACX or narrated the book yourself. In such a case, you are welcome to upload the completed audiobook using our DIY (Do-It-Yourself) option.

#12  Tarana 09-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Edit: the following 11 posts were copied over from the Audiobook Deals forum to further the discussion here. tm

Here are some specials on Audible (US). $0.66 each. I did not research this. Someone on another board did, but I've already bought 3 of them. They are all 2019 releases.

Mark Twain - Complete Novels (58 hours and 33 minutes)
Click Here

Napoleon Hill - The Law of Success (23 hours and 56 minutes)
Click Here

G.K. Chesterton - The Complete Father Brown Collection (Run Time: 41 hours and 28 minutes)
Click Here

Jane Austen - Sense and Sensibility (12 hours)
Click Here

Jane Austen - Emma (15 hours and 53 minutes)
Click Here

Jane Austen - Mansfield Park (16 hours and 13 minutes)
Click Here

edited to add: Someone posted that these might be originally Librivox recordings, hence their low price. However, I don't see these narrators on the lists there. Publisher is Page2Page.

#13  tubemonkey 09-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Quote Tarana
Here are some specials on Audible (US). $0.66 each. I did not research this. Someone on another board did, but I've already bought 3 of them. They are all 2019 releases.

> snip <

edited to add: Someone posted that these might be originally Librovox recordings, hence their low price. However, I don't see these narrators on the lists there. Publisher is Page2Page.
Thanks - $0.66 is member pricing; non-members pay $0.94. This publisher has 42 books on Audible and they all appear to be the same price: $0.66/$0.94.

I don't know anything about this publisher, so I'm going to research them.

#14  issybird 09-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Quote tubemonkey
Thanks - $0.66 is member pricing; non-members pay $0.94. This publisher has 42 books on Audible and they all appear to be the same price: $0.66/$0.94.

I don't know anything about this publisher, so I'm going to research them.
For less than a buck a pop, I could be interested in the Father Brown and the Twain. And it's true, my loss would be limited. Just the same, it seems to fall under either or both the categories of, "Too Good to be True" and "Buyer Beware" and I hate to reward a cynical seller with my respective bucks if that's the game they're playing. So I'll be very interested to see what you find.

#15  Catlady 09-03-2019, 10:21 PM
Quote issybird
For less than a buck a pop, I could be interested in the Father Brown and the Twain. And it's true, my loss would be limited. Just the same, it seems to fall under either or both the categories of, "Too Good to be True" and "Buyer Beware" and I hate to reward a cynical seller with my respective bucks if that's the game they're playing. So I'll be very interested to see what you find.
Looks like the same books are also at estories, with similar pricing.

I spot checked a few to see if they were LibriVox recordings; they're not.

#16  tubemonkey 09-04-2019, 12:29 AM
Quote Catlady
Looks like the same books are also at estories, with similar pricing.

I spot checked a few to see if they were LibriVox recordings; they're not.
eStories has 27 titles and most of them are priced at $0.38 (member) and $0.54 (non-mem). Additionally, eStories is DRM-Free.

#17  tubemonkey 09-04-2019, 01:11 AM
Quote issybird
I'm unable to find their website or who they belong too. Still, several of the major vendors carry their books. I've seen some charter connecting them to Oregan Publishing, though that's still to be proven. Oregan was selling LibriVox titles under their name and changing the name of the narrator to hide that fact. Audible eventually dropped them.

Anyway, if the quality is there (formatting, narration, etc), they're a great deal and Audible will let you return them if you're not happy.

I'm not done trying to figure out who they are...

#18  GtrsRGr8 09-05-2019, 04:24 AM
Quote tubemonkey
I'm unable to find their website or who they belong too. Still, several of the major vendors carry their books. I've seen some charter connecting them to Oregan Publishing, though that's still to be proven. Oregan was selling LibriVox titles under their name and changing the name of the narrator to hide that fact. Audible eventually dropped them.

Anyway, if the quality is there (formatting, narration, etc), they're a great deal and Audible will let you return them if you're not happy.

Thanks for your sleuthing.

We might be amazed at how much of that kind of thing goes on--making undisclosed cooperative (sometimes benign, however) deals, surreptitious product rebranding, taking alias business names (sometimes _many_ of them), etc. Good luck digging up info about the Oregan company.

#19  Dr. Drib 09-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Quote tubemonkey

Go here:
https://www.estories.com/audiobook/248428/Alexandre-Dumas_FrontPage-Publishing/The-Three-Musketeers

Listen for approx. 30 seconds.
Narrator: Daniel Duffy

Go here:
https://librivox.org/the-three-musketeers-version-2-by-alexandre-dumas/

Listen for approx. 30 seconds.
Narrator: Mark F. Smith

My conclusion:
The same voice

#20  Dr. Drib 09-05-2019, 10:09 AM
For "Mark F. Smith" (whoever the hell he might really be), if you enjoy his voice and narration, here are some additional audio books by him as listed on his Blog site (via LibriVox):

http://techsmiths-librivox.blogspot.com/

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register