Mobileread
Software Features Wishlist
#1  Nate the great 11-23-2007, 12:35 PM
This thread is not a hardware discussion. It's only for software.

1. I want to see the clock while I am reading. Currently, the clock is only visible in the Settings menu.

2. The Kindle has basically the same flat file system as the Sony Reader. This is terribly disappointing. They gave us the ability to have thousands of ebooks, then took away any real way to organize them.

3. I want a search feature. In particular, I want to be able to search by author, title, and date (last read, created on, last modified). The Kindle is capable of this; it has a 400 MHz CPU. That's more than enough processing ability. And the keyboard almost begs for a search function. It is a shame they left the potential untapped.

#2  vivaldirules 11-23-2007, 12:50 PM
I thought there was a search feature. Is it only within an ebook?

#3  tsgreer 11-23-2007, 01:03 PM
I thought in the video on amazon, he did a search and it searched in all the books on the Kindle and them came up with a little summary of what books it found them in...

But they may be different than what you are asking about, because you are asking about searching for a particular book title....

#4  Nate the great 11-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Quote vivaldirules
I thought there was a search feature. Is it only within an ebook?
If there was a search function, then i would expect it to be in the Show and Sort menu. It's not. The only thing you can do is sort the entire list by date ascending, date descending, title, and author. When you do this, you will see all the items on your Kindle. I want to be able to type in an authors name and see a list of a subset of books, not the entire list.

#5  Alisa 11-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Quote Nate the great
If there was a search function, then i would expect it to be in the Show and Sort menu. It's not. The only thing you can do is sort the entire list by date ascending, date descending, title, and author. When you do this, you will see all the items on your Kindle. I want to be able to type in an authors name and see a list of a subset of books, not the entire list.
I thought it was a button on the keyboard. I have one to add, though I don't even have mine yet:

The ability to disable buttons. I bet a lot of folks wouldn't mind disable the buttons on one side since I keep hearing how easy it is to inadvertently turn a page.

#6  Nate the great 11-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Quote Alisa
I thought it was a button on the keyboard. I have one to add, though I don't even have mine yet:

The ability to disable buttons. I bet a lot of folks wouldn't mind disable the buttons on one side since I keep hearing how easy it is to inadvertently turn a page.
You, know, I hadn't seen that yet. Thanks.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite do what I want. It will only search stuff that has been indexed. And forcing it to index stuff has to be done one item at a time.

But it comes close, so thanks again.

#7  SanAntone 11-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Hopefully Amazon has someone reading these boards like Sony does.

I, for one, don't want a clock. I can glance away at my watch if I need to know. I don't want to be reminded how much time I've spent reading!

#8  tlrowley 11-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Quote Nate the great
It will only search stuff that has been indexed. And forcing it to index stuff has to be done one item at a time.
I thought the indexing happened automatically, it did for me. Perhaps it's a background task that hasn't finished yet?

#9  tsgreer 11-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Quote Alisa
Well it does have a really cool lock mode. Not the same thing as disable, but if you push the "@" key and the "Aa" key, the screen shows a pic (from a series of very cool random pics) and you don't have to worry about anythnig being clicked. It's much faster than turning off and on and doesn't require any juice.

They call it "sleep" mode, but it's not like a computer going to sleep, it's more like a quick key lock or screen saver. Very fast and it's how I keep it on in between reading sessions (but not overnight).

But it would be neat to find a hack or someway to make this mode use user pics.

#10  Nate the great 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Quote tlrowley
I thought the indexing happened automatically, it did for me. Perhaps it's a background task that hasn't finished yet?
Probably. I just loaded 400 books.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register